OT: Cold?

Page 3 of 3
"mac davis" wrote in message

You'll probably do OK. Hell, in this day and age, and with property taxes the way they are, you basically just rent your home from the government and can live in it _only_ as long as you pay the taxing authorities ... doesn't seem to be much difference from Mexico.
Sounds like a good plan ... hope it works out for you. I've always been intrigued with Baja California since reading Steinbeck's "The Log From The Sea Of Cortez" back in High School.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

You have to experience it to believe it... The Sea of Cortez is incredible.. and I'm NOT the beach person in the family...
Life is slow, contractors are even slower, but you just slow down and live at their speed... lots of nice distractions around to make you willing to wait..
My friends are going back down at the end of the month and he's taking a sampling of my stuff with him.. turnings, boxes, little stuff like toys, etc... he thinks that the gringos will pay pretty well for them... I'm not planning to have the shop down there for commercial reasons, but if someone likes something that I've made, it works for me.. *g*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
"mac davis" wrote in message

I would love to ... when's the "open house"? ;>)

Like I said, I wish you the best. I want to get out of this urban cesspool and into a situation like that so bad I can taste it.
BTW, in case you haven't noticed ... you indeed suck! ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

for a rental house or $50 a night at the RV park... As soon as the 1st house is done, come on down!! (hope ya like Corona)

thanks... I think..lol
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 08:00:09 -0800, mac davis

Yep.
First rule of successfully living in a foreign country: Their game, their ball, their rules. Do things the way the locals do them and you'll be a _whole_ lot happier and more popular to boot.
(Second rule: Don't burn your bridges. It takes a special type of person to live successfully in a foreign culture long-term. Not everyone can do it, even in paradise, and you want to leave yourself an 'out' in case you want to move back to the States.)
--RC
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:31:34 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com wrote: <snip>

IMHO, playing their game also includes learning at least enough of the local language to get by on... hate to be the "ugly American" down there... It bothers me that so many folks in California don't speak english, so I have to speak Spanish when we live there...
Not burning bridges, for sure... If things work out 60% right, (plan E, F, or G), we'll have both lots paid for in 2 months, then start building the first house... that will take at least a year, they don't hurry down there... Again, if things go somewhat as planned, we'll have 1 house finished and in rental service, that's free and clear.. conservative rental gross after the (ouch) 35% commission is about $10k US a year.. When the house is ready and my wife decides to retire, we'll move into the house and start building the real house, on the second lot.. (1/3 acre corner with no neighbors) My tools are all paid for, I can do my web work as well in Baja as in CA., and I'll be getting SS in 4 years... (my wife still has like 16 years till SS) It just seems like a win-win deal, so far..
The main reason that we bought 2 lots is that if we decide that Baja isn't for us, we should have enough of a return from selling the 2 houses or keeping them rented, to move back north..
Our ace in the hole will be to still have our home here in Clovis, rented out and with a lot of equity... I'm too old to start all over, so I'm only betting what I can afford to lose... I've always figured that if you only invest what you can afford to lose, anything but failure is a positive thing.. *g*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

here in Honolulu. I do like to hear about the change of seasons thought, strengthens my resolve to live here or in the deep south. Jack
Jack wrote:

the airport. Cold enough that my fingers were cramped up after riding my bike the couple of miles to work Joe
It's pretty cold here too... 60 F with no silly wind chill factor. :~)

I recall a number of years ago determining that there was a 127 degree farenheit difference between me here and our tech support person in Melbourne, Florida.
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:42:38 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Know what you mean, when I got up this morning it was a chilly 45 degrees F. Got down to freezing yesteday morning -- hate it when that happens, hope winter is over soon. :-)

Dave Balderstone wrote:

It's warming up here. Teens (dF) at night and 30s in the day. Warmed up the ice so I could free up the door to the upper deck and shovel in some steps so Bill D. Cat could sun himself atop the snow banks. Sometimes I think that varmint is stone crazy.
Interesting phenomenon: After chopping through a foot or so of icy snow, it becomes powdery again. I rather thought that the rain we had would have soaked through the snow and froze all the way through.     mahalo,     jo4hn