OT: Cold?

Page 2 of 3

ROFL! Serves you right, then.
Already this year, in central Arkansas, we have had highs in 70's, lows in short 20's.
John wrote:

Similar highs, lows in 0 F range (SW KS). It was 73 F week ago yesterday(? I think). 2 F this AM, 12 w/ couple inches of "no accumulation" at present...although it's not going to do much more than keep spitting, it has gotten the ground pretty well covered again whereas it wasn't going to even be enough to see according to all forecasts...

That's the coldest I've personally been in too. About -60F windchill. All I recall was (a) it was physically painful regardless of the winter gear I wore and (b) my then nearly new 1980 Toyota Corolla actually started.
patrick conroy wrote:

Before I moved to MN, I was in Northern B.C. & we used to work up near the Territories in the winter. It was -78 one night when we got into a pipeline camp & it never went above -45 for the next three weeks. Of course then I moved south to the warmer climates cuz I was through with that winter crap. Into Minot as well for a winter. Yikes!.. Not quite as cold but the wind never stops blowing. Then into MN where there are a few more trees to break the wind, plus an actual hill or two. The last three weeks were cold as hell in MN too. Back to work now in Angola at a balmy 90 degrees. Woohoo!!! Sure is a hell of a shocker getting back off the plane in Fargo on the way home though. About a 110 degree difference. That'll keep the goolies tucked up for a while.
P.
Fri, Jan 14, 2005, 6:49pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@conroy-family.net (patrickconroy) says: That's the coldest I've personally been in too. About -60F windchill.
I'm not sure what the coldest winchill I've been in. My mother always used to say, "Oh, there's no such thing as windchill, it's no colder with the wind blowing". This, of course, from a person who wasn't out in the wind. I do know I have been in weather at 20 degrees, without factoring in the wind chill. And, now, every time I get a snow report from her, she's always putting in windchill.
I will say, I grew up in Michigan, and the winters were usually, cold, and windy, with a way minus zero temp factor.
But, the worst winters I've spent were in northern Virginia. At temps of around freezing, or slightly below, and a not real fierce wind, the wind seemed to go thru anything I wore. Supposedly the extra mosture in the air. But, Michigan is about surrounded by the Great Lakes, so I figure just as much moisture in the air. I would have rather spent a winter in Michigan then northern Virginia any time. Any more, I'd rather not spend a winter in either.
Temps today in central North Carolina are supposed to be a high of 49. Had a bit of snow earlier this morning, turned to rain now. I'll take it here any time.
JOAT Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. - Dale Carnegie
J T wrote: ...

You can have summers...nowhere worse except for, perhaps, Houston, et al.
Spent a couple summers in Raleigh and 30 or thereabouts in Piedmont, VA area and TN valley...80s/90s w/ the stinkin' humdididy is as close to Dante's vision as I've come. I'll take the 90s/100s here w/o any day and stand winter to not have that for summer. (I'll grant long TN falls could be grand, however...)
On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:58:12 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Bah, you all are sissies! :) I just spent three days moving (last weekend) when it was -25f (actual temperature, not windchill) and now we're forecast to get 14" of snow. Windchill in Wisconsin gets to -80f fairly routinely in Jan and Feb, and people are still out and about (though I'll admit there's a fair amount of complaining going on, especially at work, where the only heat is provided by welders and plasma cutters)

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
'snip'

I hear you talking. I had to drive home in that blizzard yesterday from Minneapolis. Took 4 1/2hours for a 3 hour trip. And that was with SWMBO doing the white knuckle dashboard grab/tantric breathing thing all the way. The wind off the lake has a 5 foot drift up against the patio doors which is probably a good thing for insulating factor. The furnace actually shut off for a minute and a half last night. Brrrrrr.... Ah well, back to the dark continent Monday for more fun in the sun...
P.
Paul in MN wrote:

The same storm is just now moving into the Buffalo, NY area. Depending on which weather forecast I listen to we'll get a "general" snowfall of somewhere between 4" - 14" by tonight. The snow is supposed to continue into tomorrow. They say there may be lake effect snows setting up that could add to the local amounts. Winds of 30 MPH are expected causing "white outs".
The good news is that the actual temperature is up to 3 degrees F (-16C) and it's Saturday and so far I don't have to work. I work outdoors.

Just took last night's off my drive. No plow yet, so I'll have to get the windrow later after it passes. Sat down for tea and a look at the radar and see the lake effect bands coming 'round to fill me in again this afternoon.
At least at 3 degrees you won't have the heavy stuff. One advantage of Superior lake effect over Erie, more, but lighter.
mac davis writes:

As long as you're in Mexico, why not go to Cabo and be warm?
55F sucks.
Matter of fact, anything below 70F is unfit for human habitation IMHO.
BTW, hope you had fun, even if it was 55F at night.
Lew
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 06:45:05 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

will (I hope) start building the 1st house, a rental, this year...
It just feels right... living in a gringo community and probably being one of the few in the area that has a woodworking shop... and having a view of the Sea of Cortez from the shop.. *sigh*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

    j4

yes. through a land trust.

yeah, as Charles said, a trust.. In this case, in a deal with the Mexican Government to keep the green flowing south, it's a blanket trust on an old existing "rancho"...
If done (imho) correctly, everyone wins, especially the government... Baja depends on tourists and folks retiring there for the big bucks..
Now, if I can talk my neighbor, who's a stucco contractor, to buy a lot near ours... *g*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

I've heard horror stories about people sinking muchos dlares into properties in Baja, and then having the Mexican gobierno decide to repossess the properties. Have all those problems been resolved yet?
On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 00:34:03 -0500, Silvan

They seem to be, especially in Baja California... The main income there is from gringos, and the government needs those dollars.... Property that you buy is held in trust by the bank, since you still have to be a Mexican national to own property outright... I guess the main worry is that the government might get over thrown, or something...
Our bottom line is that it seems safe and legal, and it's only money.... we bought two 1/3 acre lots for about $30k each and the first house, a 1,200 square foot rental, will cost about $80k to build... should rent for over $11,000 a year after commissions (35%!!!!) We live in a "poorer" area of California, but the 40 year old tract houses start at about $200k, so it's not like we're risking a lot of bucks..
If it all works out, I'll be retiring at 60 instead of 90 or so, and be building a custom house with shop and RV garage in a place where life is warm, slow & easy.. If it doesn't work out, we lost some equity in our house, which we didn't work to get, so we can live with the "worst case"..
hmm... wonder if they call him Normando down there? *g*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Saturday 29 Jan 2005 4:13 pm, mac davis scribbled:

IIRC, the last time they let Yankees (Gringos, Silvan) buy property, Mexico ended up losing most of Coahuila y Tejas, Alta California and all the desert in between. :-)
--
Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email
mac davis wrote:

Jack Smith was a much beloved columnist for the LA Times (also syndicated) for many years. Many of his columns involved their house in Baja, its construction and maintenance. He wrote a book about their travails and their solutions according to Mr. Gomez, the local landlord, handyman, and confidant. Perhaps it should be on the recommended reading list for anyone with an interest in property ownership in Baja. Its title is "God and Mr. Gomez". Funny and interesting. Try it you'll like it.     mahalo,     jo4hn