OT: Cold?

I came home after having a 'few' with the boys at the pub...my ex was already in bed with a severe case of PMS.. crawl up next to that!

now THAT is cold....

0¿0
Reply to
Robatoy

It's warming up here. Teens (dF) at night and 30s in the day. Warmed up the ice so I could free up the door to the upper deck and shovel in some steps so Bill D. Cat could sun himself atop the snow banks. Sometimes I think that varmint is stone crazy.

Interesting phenomenon: After chopping through a foot or so of icy snow, it becomes powdery again. I rather thought that the rain we had would have soaked through the snow and froze all the way through. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Already this year, in central Arkansas, we have had highs in 70's, lows in short 20's.

Reply to
John

Similar highs, lows in 0 F range (SW KS). It was 73 F week ago yesterday(? I think). 2 F this AM, 12 w/ couple inches of "no accumulation" at present...although it's not going to do much more than keep spitting, it has gotten the ground pretty well covered again whereas it wasn't going to even be enough to see according to all forecasts...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I learned this lesson somewhere along the way. Me and this other guy were bidding on a combined lot consisting of a bucket of files and a Delta 12" Disk Finisher (disc sander David). It dawned on me as I racheted up the bid to $25 that he may not be wanting what I wanted so I dropped out. After the gavel fell I asked him what it was he was bidding on and he retrieved a single (as in one) file from the bucket. I split the bid ($13.00 US) with him and went home with the disk finisher.

Ain't life grand?

UA100, where it's a spring like 7C...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Too bad you didn't talk to him earlier. Maybe the two of you could have split the purchase for a cheaper price. $13 each isn't too bad as it is though.

Reply to
Upscale

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 12:22:00 +0000, the inscrutable "Luigi Zanasi" spake:

You're a smoker. That already rules out common sense, eh? What other senses have you lost besides feeling of the cold?

Um, "BRRRRR!" said the expatriot Californicator.

You shouldn't dis yourself like that, WeeGee. (Leave that to us.) What? Oh, I thought that said "sot". My mistake.

According to IMEX (

) a Canuckistani ducat is worth 0.82 of a Yankee peso lately, and rising thanks to El Shrubbo. (Hmmm, speaking of sots...)

You're just lucky you'r not from Venezuela. We get 1915.20 of their Bolivars for our buck.

It's good that you kept Claudia's bill. Whatta honey! It's too bad you bid the auction thingies up so high. You ended up paying more for your earlier participation. ;)

-- Life's a Frisbee: When you die, your soul goes up on the roof. ----

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Watch those bucket or bag items. I previewed one of many bags of books at an auction, placing the 1st edition Harriet Beecher Stowe on the bottom, and was astonished to find someone else bidding above the usual two-three bucks a bag. I did another quarter, though, and picked up a book that helped us make the down payment on our first house for $5.75.

I'd have given him the rest of the books, gratis.

Reply to
George

Nice driveby. You suck.

Reply to
Silvan

Fri, Jan 14, 2005, 6:49pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@conroy-family.net (patrick=A0conroy) says: That's the coldest I've personally been in too. About -60F windchill.

I'm not sure what the coldest winchill I've been in. My mother always used to say, "Oh, there's no such thing as windchill, it's no colder with the wind blowing". This, of course, from a person who wasn't out in the wind. I do know I have been in weather at 20 degrees, without factoring in the wind chill. And, now, every time I get a snow report from her, she's always putting in windchill.

I will say, I grew up in Michigan, and the winters were usually, cold, and windy, with a way minus zero temp factor.

But, the worst winters I've spent were in northern Virginia. At temps of around freezing, or slightly below, and a not real fierce wind, the wind seemed to go thru anything I wore. Supposedly the extra mosture in the air. But, Michigan is about surrounded by the Great Lakes, so I figure just as much moisture in the air. I would have rather spent a winter in Michigan then northern Virginia any time. Any more, I'd rather not spend a winter in either.

Temps today in central North Carolina are supposed to be a high of

  1. Had a bit of snow earlier this morning, turned to rain now. I'll take it here any time.

JOAT Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.

- =A0Dale Carnegie

Reply to
J T

Fri, Jan 14, 2005, 12:57pm (EST-1) dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_S.balderstone.ca (Dave=A0Balderstone) spreads: But (wait for it...) it's a *dry* cold.

Picture it. Nam. Winter. From the coast to Pleiku. Had to sleep with two doubled blankets, and clothes on, because of the fierce cole. Probably got down to 70 degrees at night. Damn that was cold. LMAO

Of course, it was cold on the coast too. Felt cooler than usual one day, so checked the thermometer on the mess hall. Down to 120, in the shade. That's the only time I checked.

True story.

JOAT Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.

- =A0Dale Carnegie

Reply to
J T

J T wrote: ...

You can have summers...nowhere worse except for, perhaps, Houston, et al.

Spent a couple summers in Raleigh and 30 or thereabouts in Piedmont, VA area and TN valley...80s/90s w/ the stinkin' humdididy is as close to Dante's vision as I've come. I'll take the 90s/100s here w/o any day and stand winter to not have that for summer. (I'll grant long TN falls could be grand, however...)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

"Blankets", blankets ? ... where the hell did you find "blankets"? Next you're going to be telling us you actually had sheets, and a mattress, to go with them blankets! But you're right ... it got awfully damn cold at 3AM, in the rainy season in the Central Highlands, with wet muddy clothes on, and wishing like hell you had a blanket. :)

And OTOH, that was, indeed, the most energy sapping heat I've ever experienced in my life, then add in the terrain. We often walked the whole damn day and only made a klick on the ground.

Houston today: sunny, 67 degrees, absolutely delightful weather.

Reply to
Swingman

Bah, you all are sissies! :) I just spent three days moving (last weekend) when it was -25f (actual temperature, not windchill) and now we're forecast to get 14" of snow. Windchill in Wisconsin gets to

-80f fairly routinely in Jan and Feb, and people are still out and about (though I'll admit there's a fair amount of complaining going on, especially at work, where the only heat is provided by welders and plasma cutters)

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

'snip'

I hear you talking. I had to drive home in that blizzard yesterday from Minneapolis. Took 4 1/2hours for a 3 hour trip. And that was with SWMBO doing the white knuckle dashboard grab/tantric breathing thing all the way. The wind off the lake has a 5 foot drift up against the patio doors which is probably a good thing for insulating factor. The furnace actually shut off for a minute and a half last night. Brrrrrr.... Ah well, back to the dark continent Monday for more fun in the sun...

P.

Reply to
Paul in MN

The same storm is just now moving into the Buffalo, NY area. Depending on which weather forecast I listen to we'll get a "general" snowfall of somewhere between

4" - 14" by tonight. The snow is supposed to continue into tomorrow. They say there may be lake effect snows setting up that could add to the local amounts. Winds of 30 MPH are expected causing "white outs".

The good news is that the actual temperature is up to 3 degrees F (-16C) and it's Saturday and so far I don't have to work. I work outdoors.

Nova

Just took last night's off my drive. No plow yet, so I'll have to get the windrow later after it passes. Sat down for tea and a look at the radar and see the lake effect bands coming 'round to fill me in again this afternoon.

At least at 3 degrees you won't have the heavy stuff. One advantage of Superior lake effect over Erie, more, but lighter.

Reply to
George

As long as you're in Mexico, why not go to Cabo and be warm?

55F sucks.

Matter of fact, anything below 70F is unfit for human habitation IMHO.

BTW, hope you had fun, even if it was 55F at night.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Baja seems to be the place to invest right now... we bought 2 lots and will (I hope) start building the 1st house, a rental, this year...

It just feels right... living in a gringo community and probably being one of the few in the area that has a woodworking shop... and having a view of the Sea of Cortez from the shop.. *sigh*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Is it now possible for "gringos" to own the property there? j4

Reply to
jo4hn