OT: Cold?

Page 1 of 3
In case anyone is feeling chilly, you should know that with windchill we're currently at -53C (-63.4F).
Brrr.
djb
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Ah, weenie! What's the <real> temp--don't give us none of that whinechill factor!!!! :)
I saw -56F at (I think, no place names on the map) Whitehorse on our 10 PM news last night--that's cold! We were promised 0F last night, but the front has (at least temporarily) stalled out just to the northeast of us--it's about that 30 mi NE, but still about 20F and spittin' snow here...not that I'm complaining. The cattle are certainly thinking it's cold enough, watching them huddle.
Coldest I've ever seen here is in the neighborhood of -40F. A normal winter will have a day or so of the 0 to -10F range.
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:24:29 -0600, Duane Bozarth wrote:

-47C (no whinechill - no wind either) so actually -53F last night in Whitehorse.

Weenie! ;-)
--

Luigi
Currently hibernating and not relishing having to drive downtown into the
Luigi Zanasi wrote: ...
Actually this was me, not Dave, but who's counting...

Yeah, and I'm not moving farther north or higher up, either!!! :)
That's cold enough to remind me what winter's like -- at least we now have tank heaters that don't blow out <every> night so don't have to chop ice from the stock tanks absolutely every morning and evening. That and hauling water was a full-time job years ago... :(
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:55:19 +0000, the inscrutable "Luigi Zanasi"

And I thought the +29F was bad here, WeeGee. Enjoy!
========================================================= I drank WHAT? + http://www.diversify.com --Socrates + Web Application Programming
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:09:06 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

Last night I went out for a smoke during the intermission in the Andy Jones (of Codco fame for the Canuckistanis) show. It was -33C and I was only wearing a sweater. I wasn't cold. Amazing what one can get adapted to. After -47C, -33 felt positively balmy. Normally, I would be well bundled up at that temperature Right now I'm wrecking off (tmSM) waiting for the shop to warm up. It was -9C in there (attached garage) this morning & -28 outside. Shows how much heat I lose from the house despite the 2X6 walls. No heat in there since Monday. For those who are curious, heating the sop is done by a 4800 watt 220V electric heater which I got at an auction this summer. This would have been a gloat as I only paid $CAN20.00 for it (don't know what that would be in Yankee pesos these days). But it ended up costing me more than $50.00 for the breaker, conduit, wire, thermostat, 30A outlet, plugs, etc., I needed to make it work. I got to the auction too late to bid on the old DeWalt RAS. Anyway, there were two of the heaters up for auction & I only wanted one, but I figured, go for a maximum of $40 for both. The guy I bid against got the $40 bid & I gave up. As I was walking away, he runs after me & asks me if I want one, as he also only needs one. Hand him a $20 (the one with the queen, not with Claudia Schiffer), pick up the heater and am on my way.
--

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

I learned this lesson somewhere along the way. Me and this other guy were bidding on a combined lot consisting of a bucket of files and a Delta 12" Disk Finisher (disc sander David). It dawned on me as I racheted up the bid to $25 that he may not be wanting what I wanted so I dropped out. After the gavel fell I asked him what it was he was bidding on and he retrieved a single (as in one) file from the bucket. I split the bid ($13.00 US) with him and went home with the disk finisher.
Ain't life grand?
UA100, where it's a spring like 7C...

Too bad you didn't talk to him earlier. Maybe the two of you could have split the purchase for a cheaper price. $13 each isn't too bad as it is though.

Watch those bucket or bag items. I previewed one of many bags of books at an auction, placing the 1st edition Harriet Beecher Stowe on the bottom, and was astonished to find someone else bidding above the usual two-three bucks a bag. I did another quarter, though, and picked up a book that helped us make the down payment on our first house for $5.75.
I'd have given him the rest of the books, gratis.
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Nice driveby. You suck.
On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 12:22:00 +0000, the inscrutable "Luigi Zanasi"

You're a smoker. That already rules out common sense, eh? What other senses have you lost besides feeling of the cold?

Um, "BRRRRR!" said the expatriot Californicator.

You shouldn't dis yourself like that, WeeGee. (Leave that to us.) What? Oh, I thought that said "sot". My mistake.

According to IMEX ( http://www.imex-fx.com/ ) a Canuckistani ducat is worth 0.82 of a Yankee peso lately, and rising thanks to El Shrubbo. (Hmmm, speaking of sots...)
You're just lucky you'r not from Venezuela. We get 1915.20 of their Bolivars for our buck.

It's good that you kept Claudia's bill. Whatta honey! It's too bad you bid the auction thingies up so high. You ended up paying more for your earlier participation. ;)
-- Life's a Frisbee: When you die, your soul goes up on the roof. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

I came home after having a 'few' with the boys at the pub...my ex was already in bed with a severe case of PMS.. crawl up next to that!
now THAT is cold....
00

When I posted, it was -39C (-38.2F).

Normal here (in the F scale) is a high of 8F and a low of -10. But todays temps are nowhere near record breakers.
Still, I spilled my coffee on the way to start the car and it froze so fast the ice was still hot...
At 1 pm, it's warmed up to -32C (-46C with wind).
But (wait for it...) it's a *dry* cold.
;-)
Dave Balderstone wrote: ...

:) I like it!!! <VBG>
Records here average about -15F or so w/ the occasional -25F neighborhood. Of course, record-keeping here dates back only a little over 100 years, so it's nothing particularly unusual to set new ones, both highs and lows.
"Normals" are mid-to-upper 30s for highs w/ lows in low-to-mid 20s although this is an area of such variability there really isn't an "average"...
Fri, Jan 14, 2005, 12:57pm (EST-1) dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_S.balderstone.ca (DaveBalderstone) spreads: <snip> But (wait for it...) it's a *dry* cold.
Picture it. Nam. Winter. From the coast to Pleiku. Had to sleep with two doubled blankets, and clothes on, because of the fierce cole. Probably got down to 70 degrees at night. Damn that was cold. LMAO
Of course, it was cold on the coast too. Felt cooler than usual one day, so checked the thermometer on the mess hall. Down to 120, in the shade. That's the only time I checked.
True story.
JOAT Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. - Dale Carnegie
"J T" wrote in message

"Blankets", blankets ? ... where the hell did you find "blankets"? Next you're going to be telling us you actually had sheets, and a mattress, to go with them blankets! But you're right ... it got awfully damn cold at 3AM, in the rainy season in the Central Highlands, with wet muddy clothes on, and wishing like hell you had a blanket. :)

And OTOH, that was, indeed, the most energy sapping heat I've ever experienced in my life, then add in the terrain. We often walked the whole damn day and only made a klick on the ground.
Houston today: sunny, 67 degrees, absolutely delightful weather.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Of course, -40 is -40 regardless.
I don't call it whinechill, though. Spent a couple nights in a snow/parachute burrow and a mummy bag near Fairbanks many years ago when it was cold and calm. Then they sent me to Minot....
George wrote: ...

Oh, wind isn't nice, I'll grant. Just used it as a joke. Am on the high plains directly south of Minot where the wind blows even more consistently than there, so know its effects painfully well....spent several years servicing coal analyzers and had several in the Weyburn, SK, area just over the border from Minot so know that area pretty well...

Ouch! That's just *mean*...

it
It's what happens when you list "Midwest" under "area of preference" on your USAF assignment dreamsheet.