OT: Coffee Drinkers

Page 4 of 5
Phisherman wrote:

I guess you've never drunk the swill they call beer in ohio. Its amazing they could have that many people from Germany there and none of them know how to make beer!!
WCD wrote:

There's a good local brewery a block from the West Side Market in Cleveland that's pretty good. Not as good as the local beer I had in Hanover, Germany but still, a lot better than the canned carbonated water that is sold as beer in the US. ARM
One of the local stores took out the Seattle's Best coffee shop and put in a Starbuck's shop. Their business went to shit. Imagine that.

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 04:15:12 GMT, "TexasFireGuy"

I'm buying the best beans I've ever tasted at Costco. 3 pounds for $8.99 of Seattle Mountain Drum Roasted Sumatran beans, a deep, dark, rich, non-bitter Arabica.
Now if they only came in decaf... I now mix it 50/50 with decaf Great Value beans from WallyWorld. The Seattle beans are so good that the cheap (#3/$4.97) beans don't kill 'em.
I'm a registered coffee addict who has beren known to, um, c*ll*ct a tool or three.
-------------------------------------------- -- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. -- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development ===========================================================
On 7/26/03 12:57 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

I don't drink a lot of coffee but when I do, I go cheap. My two favorite brands are (I'm not kidding here) White Castle and Thomas. White Castle is exactly what you may think - the same stuff that they serve at White Castle burger joints. Thomas coffee is a local coffee here in St. Louis, I've never seen it anywhere else, but it's fairly cheap and quite tasty.
Ben Sliders notes:

I'm really a little like JOAT, except I do drink a lot of coffee. Not as much as I used to, but that's life. Learned to drink it on USMC brand, whatever that was/is. I made a decision years ago to stick with Maxwell House. I figure in not going with the upscale brews, I've saved thousands of bucks over the years, and, as my father used to say, since I don't know what I'm missing, I ain't missing it.
Tried Starbucks some time ago, in an airport. My only reaction was, "Why bother?"
Charlie Self
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." James Madison

Went on a canoeing/camping trip several years back where we the other members did the outfitting instead of using someone else. They chose the coffee -- Starbucks which had to include their coffee press and other paraphernalia. One of the things about canoeing/camping is you carry everything and the portages on this trip were definitely no fun. I didn't begrudge the cost of it but I sure begrudged the space and weight by the end of the second week especially since the coffee really wasn't very good anyway. You have saved lots of money and haven't missed a thing.
Scratch Ankle Wood responds:

Sounds like a joy, it does. Do you mean absolutely no one would have looked at me with admiration for drinking yuppie coffeee?
Charlie Self
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." James Madison

Don't know about that -- lots seem to admire that coffee and look suspiciously at anyone who doesn't. My partners in the trip were sure impressed with it as was my friend's wife who took me on a quick tour of the immediate Chicago area they lived in while he was tied up in a meeting. That included a stop at Starbucks. And it seemed like about half of his congregation was in there when we walked in leading to some kidding around with the minister on Sunday about me and his wife being out on the town together.
At any rate, you would think if it is such good coffee, making it with pure mountain lake water (filter purifying rather than by boiling or chemical means) would make it simply irresistible. For my money it didn't. I suspect that the problem lies in the fact that I have no class.
Scratch Ankle Wood writes:

Know what you mean. I've got the same problem. It's really enjoyable.
Charlie Self
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." James Madison
"Benjamin Siders writes:

As the old saying goes, "I like my coffee like I like my women, Hot & Black".
The only reason to ever venture into a White Castle, is to get a pack of "sliders".
Screw the coffee.
Till you can nail a dozen "sliders" at a sitting, you are still a wimp.
--
Lew

<snipped>

My northern exposure to NY year before last was going to White Castle for the highlight (and the first time in over 12 years.) 26 sliders Lew. 26!
Jums
Fri, Aug 1, 2003, 4:48pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@att.net (RonMagen) says: Have GOT to jump in, here. What NCO club in Saigon? <snip> Anyhow, the chow hall stuff was so bad {ever see a cook sweatinginto the 'eggs' as he cooked them? Or ice that was GREEN?}we used to steal cases of 'C-Rats'. <snip>
Me? NCO club? Saigon? Not me.
Check again. I was just TDY to Saigon for a day. I was based in Qui Nhon (II Corps). Wound up TDY over a fair of II Corps at different times tho.
I was referring to our club in Qui Nhon. And our PX. Very hard for them to get any type of beer except the crappy stuff. I am not sure if I ever even saw any Bud there. Anyway, preferred the Hamms. Still got a batch of club tokens, from about a dozen clubs - got them as change in our club. Got a few MPCs, maybe 3-4, around somewhere too. Brand new. Hmm, maybe eBay. LOL
Our mess hall had fans, and were not real bad. Anyway, got used to the heat. Had a cool day one day, and checked, 120 in the shade, no idea what it was in the sun. And idea what it had been before it got "cool". We didn't need to "steal" Cs, we got served them several times a week, and they always had some out the rest of the week. LRRPs were the stuff to get over Cs. Got ahold of some Korean Cs once. Never tried again. LOL
We always had nice clean, fresh, ice available, local plant. And milk. Had a reconstituting plant, or whatever they called it, just like out of your local store, and they made ice cream (not that much) too.
Oh yeah, did I mention? The mess hall in Saigon was air-conditioned. Was part of MACV HQ, I'm pretty sure. Anyway that's where they sent me to eat - but only AFTER I told them I needed to eat. And, surprisingly enough, heard several NCOs bitching about something about the food. Hard to believe. Not only that, we stripped some resources we could have used, to get the equipment down there, and found out later, it was never used. Never returned either.
Tip, for if you ever get in a place with no fresh milk. We did get some whole milk while I was in Turkey, but it was always frozen solid (to keep), and never tasted quite right. Had all the powdered milk you wanted, but if you've ever tasted that, you know it isn't great. BUT, learned very quickly how to make powdered milk taste just like fresh milk out of your local store. Very simple. Don't stir it in a glass or pitcher, instead, put it in a blender, add water and ice. I don't think the ice really does anything, except keep it a bit cooler, but I would say, if you have the ice, use it - just in case. Apparently the blender areates it, or something. Whatever it does, it works. If you don't have the blender, an eggbeater mixer might work - probably a lot better than stirring with a spoon anyway.
JOAT Everything happens for a reason, except possibly football. - Lu-Tze
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 23 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/JOATorJackOfAll/page4.html
On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 14:46:48 -0400 (EDT), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT) wrote:

Just as a quick add on for that, most powdered milk reconstitutes as skimmed milk, so if you boil a little water and add that to a cup with say two desertspoons full of coffee creamer, stir till smooth and pitch it into say a pint of freshly made up cool "powdered milk", then it adds back that which the skimming took out very nearly - adjust to how creamy you might like milk - oh and BTW it's not healthy, of course, but it works fairly good! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
snip of lifesaving info snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Thenkyew thenkyew thenkyew. I'll order some tonite. Not UP brand, but I'll try most anything at this point.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Hope I didn't hurt the guys feelings since I've never been in a Starbucks and my ethinicity is US Citizen.
Wes