OT: Civil War

Page 1 of 2
If you want to read what other woodworkers have to say about the American Civil War, I just ran across a recent thread here.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?164077-Civil-War
Blood has been spattered in the direction of virtually every American this week... When gorey becomes glory, it draws my attention.
Bill
Bill wrote:

typo-fixed.

Why do you support freeloaders?

Huh? That makes no sense.

You just can't look away?

I don't understand.

You didn't hear anything about the Navy Seals killing someone "big" this week?

Indifference, like laziness, requires no explanation. Yes, I could look away, or I can ask (myself) what I think. I explained to my wife this evening that I think I would have a hard time celebrating or glorifying the killing of anyone. Maybe that's because I've tried to keep my mind free of "hate"--an emotion that I find unproductive for myself, at best. Peace.
Bill
On 5/3/2011 11:26 PM, Bill wrote:

I, too, have a problem with celebrating death. I remembered a quote from one of my favorite people that puts it into perspective for me:
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure." Mark Twain
--
Robert Allison
New Braunfels, TX

gathered in D.C. and NYC, celebrating the news of bin Laden's death, and the chanting, shouting crowds gathered in many cities in the Middle East on 9-11-2001 celebrating the deaths of almost 3,000 Americans.
I'm pleased that bin Laden is dead. And I'm pleased that the last thing he saw before he died was a U.S. Navy Seal with a rifle in his hands -- that he died knowing that America was about to deliver justice. But I'm not out in the streets chanting and hooting about it.
On 5/4/2011 12:23 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

The difference is that the Middle East chanters were celebrating the death of innocent men, women and children, while the U.S. chanters were celebrating the death of the terrorist responsible for killing the innocents. I personally am satisfied that justice was done. I don't see it as appropriate to celebrate any death by chanting in the streets.

Just Wondering wrote the following:

sports championship game winner.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I don't either, but I certainly understand those who did celebrate the closing of that chapter.

On Wed, 04 May 2011 18:23:43 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

I see I'm not the only one who noticed the resemblance. I'm glad he was found, unsure whether I preferred him shot or executed after a trial, and not at all interested in dancing in the street about it.

"Larry Blanchard" wrote:

--------------------------------- Lowest cost of disposal.
Neat, clean, fast, and no memorial.
Get back to me in a year.
bin Laden WHO?
Lew
bin laden with rats.
---------- "Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
bin Laden WHO?
Lew
"Larry Blanchard" wrote:

--------------------------------- Consider it as just carrying out the trash.
Lowest cost of disposal with the least residue.
Neat, clean, fast, and no memorial.
Get back to me in a year.
bin Laden WHO?
Lew

I found it strange that people in Salem, Oregon - 2,500 miles from the events of 9/11 - gathered to chant in front of the Capitol Building. Didn't see anything about similar goings on in Portland.

"Robert Allison" wrote in message

I believe that the world would be better off with far less violence. On the other hand, there are some people who need killing, if only for the good of everyone else.
Interesting to see the Dali Lama's view on this:
http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2011/05/04/1587713/dalai-lama-suggests-killing-bin.html
Dalai Lama suggests killing bin Laden justified
By The Associated Press
The Dalai Lama seems to suggest the United States was justified in killing Osama bin Laden.
Speaking Tuesday to about 3,000 students at the University of Southern California, the 75-year-old Tibetan leader says bin Laden, as a human being, may have deserved compassion and even forgiveness.
But the Los Angeles Times says the Dalai Lama added: "Forgiveness doesn't mean forget what happened."
He says it is sometimes necessary to take counter-measures.
It's the Dalai Lama's first U.S. visit since stepping down recently as the day-to-day political leader of Tibet's government in exile.
He skipped earlier Southern California appearances this week because he fell ill with a sore throat. He has stops scheduled Wednesday in Long Beach and Irvine.
Bill wrote:

I don't think repression of a normal human emotion is good for you. It's what you DO with an emotion that can cause grief - or satisfaction, not the emotion itself.

You wouldn't.

How is that "blood spattered in the direction of *virtually* every American". That makes no sense either figuratively or literally.

More nonsense. Indifference has nothing to do with your compulsion to look at the gore.

But you're compelled to look at the gore. You *WANT* to look at it. Perhaps you're ashamed at your reaction, but you *CAN'T* help it. Maybe that's why you're ashamed, not because a murderer was brought to justice.

"Hate" has little to do with it. It's about "justice".

...until you're compelled to rubberneck at the next traffic accident.

I still don't understand (and you don't seem very interested in explaining yourself)...

I don't think you understand me very well at all. I think I would have little trouble killing someone if I needed to. I think I would be sorrowful rather than glad about it. Not necessarily sad. I think if your goal in this case is justice, you have a lot more people to track down and a lot of losses that still need to be made whole.

So, WTFAYTA???

It is krwbizzzzzz... let it go, Bill.