OT: Cheney was Right and a Quagmire!

Page 2 of 2

This reply may be OT to your OT:
Talking over the fence with neighbor about Bush, and the Republicans or Democrats who may replace Bush. Seems back in 2000 and '04 a lot of everyday people voted for Bush for his stand on religious and social conservative issues Bush claimed to stand for.
The only problem is, once in office, another set of Republicans showed up for work as presidential appointees to various levels of the Federal Administration. Trust me, the big business and big money financial wing of the Republican party did not lack representation. The other type who came to work for the new President were young staffers in the Nixon Administration (VP, Sec, Defense, etc.) looking to re-fight the Viet Nam military / social issues in the USA. Just how many presidential cabinet officers or other policy makers can you name that came from the religious and social block of the Republican party? There were a few moderates, notably Gen. Colin Powell, but they didn't last long.
So, now that the voters are going to over-react against Bush and could elect a Democrat President. Looking back to the (1st?) Clinton Administrations as well as the Bush-2 team, Any guesses as to who might show up to work if a Democrat is elected elected?
So, OK lets take a guess what happens if one of the two Republicans candidates become president. Who shows up for work in their administration? Will any of the cabinet level appointees ever have waited tables as college students? Work for minimum wage in a summer job? Ever in their lives did any of them rub shoulders with and get to know an everyday workers as a peer?
OK, try this question: What circumstances, (phrased differently which presidential candidate of the four top running Republican and Democratic hopefuls,) do you see where the moneyed ruling class does not take over the next administration, and continue to widen the economic and social gap between the working & middle classes and the moneyed ruling class.
Oh, well, just some depressing thoughts on a gray, overcast, cold and damp February Monday morning. Excuse me I need some more coffee.
Phil
"Phil again" wrote:

Either of the democratic participants, especially Obama, would seem to be an answer to your question.
Lew
On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 11:13:05 -0800, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I don't know.
I am thinking that the extreme left-wing busy bodies are going to show up if either of most likely Democrat is elected. You know, the crowd that "KNOWS" what is best for everyone because they have the book learning to prove it. People with high ideals, and good hearts, but will be corrupted by the Washington lobbyist.
Senator Obama speaks like a moderate, middle of the road, politician. I like that. But who will he appoint to the hundreds of jobs a president has to appoint? Usually it is the party loyalist who worked hard in the political campaign.
Go back to the Carter administration and work forward. Every President I can think of had so many hard core party loyalist appointed to office. Extreme (left or right) political view of their party, and the role of the Federal Government, party loyalist.
But, Lew, wouldn't be nice if I were wrong, and you were correct?
Phil
"Phil again" wrote:

There is a major difference between winning an election and governing the country.
Every newly elected politican soon learns that fact, even if all they were running for was dog catcher.
As far as Obama is concerned, if he accomplishes nothing else, he has lit a fire under the youth of the country to get involved in the political process, something that hasn't happened in a long time.
Lew

About the same percentage who believe that Elvis is still alive.

I'm not sure what to make of those folks, but fortunately, they total just 8%.