OT: CFL Bulbs

Page 7 of 8
snipped-for-privacy@ghostmail.cc says...

Might have been a special--they're 3 bucks now. Phillips A19 "SlimStyle" SoftWhite. The round ones are 4. When I got them a box of 3 was the same price as a single bulb.
On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 04:18:03 -0500, "J. Clarke"

I've used 1000bulbs.com several times in the past. They want $3 up (way up). I suspect anything less than that is a loss leader (not that loss leaders are a bad thing).
https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/60-watt-equal-led-light-bulbs/
"krw" wrote in message was heard to mutter:

I've used 1000bulbs.com several times in the past. They want $3 up (way up). I suspect anything less than that is a loss leader (not that loss leaders are a bad thing).
https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/60-watt-equal-led-light-bulbs/
Myself. Delivered but yet to install PLT-10014 2,200 Lumens - LED - F32T8 Replacement - 4 ft. Tube - 19 Watt - 5000K - Use With Instant Start Ballast - LifeBulb LBT8F2250 @ 13.99/ea. plus tax and shipping. And, have on order a dozen PAR30 - 15 Watt - Long Neck - 75W Equal - 2228 Candlepower - 40 Deg. Flood - 5000 K - Stark White - Euri Lighting EP30-1050ew @ $11.99 each for several ceiling can replacements. I'm tired of the yellowish hue and I would like not to climb up that 12 foot step ladder to reach that 16 foot ceiling for as long as I'm still living in this house. No steal to be sure but it's almost impossible to find anything but the soft/warm white at the big box stores.
dave in SoTex
On 12/30/2015 3:24 PM, Casper wrote:

Can you come up with $3 Prices have dropped considerably and many power companies are subsidizing them.

You should've done the math first. LED lamps are still expensive enough that it's not cost- effective to replace *working* CFLs with LEDs. The payback period is about 20% longer than the expected life of the LED.
It *is* cost-effective to replace *dead* CFLs, or incandescents whether working or not, with LEDs.
On 12/31/2015 8:15 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

In his case he probably did do the math right, for him, his second post to Casper indicated that he gets his bulbs for "free". ;~) IIRC from a sales rep from work.

On 12/31/2015 9:31 AM, Leon wrote:

I'm guessing he missed that part. That's the most simplest math anyone can perform and get an A+.
CFL's were a scam from the first. Never delivered the light wanted or needed. I have some high wattage flood lamps and they are useful after the warm up and turn on. I mix a Real and a CFL and soon an LED CFL.
I switch on the corner lights and spot something. The other light finally comes on if I leave the switch longer.
Martin
On 12/31/2015 8:15 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

CFLs are great for where the light is turned on and left on. (Btw, there are instant on CFLs that are much brighter at start up.) If the light is turned on and off like a bathroom, there's only a small benefit to using them. If the light is turned on for only a minute or so, like a closet, they're no good at all.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 01 Jan 2016 08:06:23 GMT, Puckdropper

Other than our kitchen and basement, that's how all the lights in our house are used. The Kitchen now has LED cans (recently upgraded from fluorescent tubes) and the basement has CFLs, that will soon be replaced with 4' tubes. The rest of the house is incandescent.
One would think a flood would be more instant. But not.
I also use a flood in the Pantry. If it is left on, Then it doesn't spoil food and is nice and bright.
On 1/1/2016 2:06 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

Martin Eastburn wrote:

Just an old Codger checking in. My wife changed us over to CFLs when the craze started. I haven't noticed any decrease in the frequency I have to get out the step ladder and change burned out bulbs. No savings in buying the things. My electric bill has not decreased. Have not noticed that the summers are any cooler. Can't see any better. With LED's I think I'll sit it out a while.
--
GW Ross

There's no substitute for

I find CFL longevity slightly longer than incandescent. I don't think you will ever notice much of a difference in your electric bill month to month switching from incandescent as 15, 100 watt incandescent bulbs use the same energy as a small space heater which for me, 8 hours a day in my garage, does not make a blip on my energy usage either. The vast majority of your electric bill is to pay for Air conditioning, electric furnace, electric water heaters, and electric ranges.
One big advantage to LED's is that they do run cooler. This is great for under counter lighting where hot lighting can toast the wood. We keep our "ribbon" LED under counter lighting in the kitchen on 24/7 and neither the lights or cabinets seem to ever be even slightly warm. On all the time is great for getting up in the middle of the night for a cold drink of water.
On 1/1/2016 7:25 AM, G. Ross wrote:

LED are far better than the CFL's other than cost, and the prices are dropping fast. Your electric bill probably won't change much, if at all if you have many large electric appliances. We have an electric stove, 2 large refrigerators and a large freezer. My work shop has a slew of electric motors and so on. Lighting, even incandescent, is likely a small proportion of the bill.
LED's are said to last very long time, so it is a good idea to at least put them where they are hard to change (after a burn out) I mostly replaced with LED's where the light is on for long times, where it's tough to replace (outside lamps with housings, shower lights with covers) and so on.
Unlike CFL's the brightness equals or exceeds the equivalent incandescent, which is a pleasant surprise. One caveat though, the HD salesman talked my wife into getting white daylights for the porch light and it really, really sucks. It is cold hard blue white light, that I hate. The warm softer lights are great, and look exactly like incandescent counter parts. I have 75w incandescent right next to 60w equivalent (11w) LED's over my pool table and you can't tell them apart.
--
Jack
On 1/1/2016 7:25 AM, G. Ross wrote:

Why not invest less than $5 and try one? If you get the daylight version you may see better. Put it in the hardest spot to change and you may see you are not changing it as often.
I've been changing over and have yet to replace one.
On 1/1/2016 12:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Been struggling with SWMBO over the changeover. We both hated the CFLs (and why not they suck).
Think it was here that somebody clued the group into the LED style "shop lights" that Costco had on their shelves.
As I was about to bite the bullet and either replace 8 tubes in the garage or switch to new fixtures entirely - to avoid the warm up and flicker of the non-magnetic ballasts - I decided to buy four of the fixtures.
So far, it's the best thing I could have done out there. Even with the temperature at ~ 23 degrees, I flip the switch and the place lights up like a football stadium. These are warmer, I think, than the cool white fluorescent tubes they replaced but they are great.
Starting to see better prices and better selection of the LED's at the Big Boxes and so I'll start sneaking some in where I am the main user. SWMBO has a good point in that we had stockpiled a quantity of incandescent bulb, indoor/outdoor floods, A19's, etc and it's senseless to just toss them. We're getting to the point, however, where probably by the end of this year I can start looking for "value packs" of LED's and stock up and then swap out banks of floods, etc. so they look uniform (downlighting in family room and kitchen)

Glad you brought up the LED tube thing as the discussion has mainly focused on A19 or screw-in LEDs. I've got an old 24" T12 fluorescent fixture (magnetic ballast) over the sink in the kitchen that stays on 24/7/365. It's hidden, above and behind a cornice that's part of the cabinets. Last August I started looking at replacing the fluorescent unit with an LED fixture when I stumbled upon this plug-n-play alternative from FEIT:
http://www.feit.com/led-lamps/led_linear_tubes/t24-841-led

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_5aKTiKyNY

HD sells the 48" version but not the 24": http://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Electric-4-ft-T8-T12-17-Watt-Cool-White-4100K-Linear-LED-Light-Bulb-T48-841-LED-RP/206036836
Bought mine at Amazon: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
I was _amazed_ at the increased brightness over the fluorescent .
It will be interesting to see if it lasts 5.7 years (50,000 hrs) when left on 24hrs a day.
Granted, at $22 a piece, these are too pricey to do a large scale retro-fit. There are cheaper alternatives but they invlove either replacing the entire fixture -OR- removing the ballast and changing all the tombstones to non-shunted:
https://www.earthled.com/collections/t8-t12-led-fluorescent-replacement-tube-lights-that-bypass-ballast-rewire https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/4100k-led-t8-tubes-direct-wire/
OR, if you have T8 fixtures w/electronic ballasts, these don't require any modification:
https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/4100k-led-t8-tubes-ballast-compatible/ https://www.earthled.com/collections/t8-led-fluorescent-replacement-tube-lights-compatible-with-electronic-ballasts
On 1/1/2016 5:41 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:

Each of these retro fit bulbs cost about 10 times the cost of the Fluorescent they are replacing. Will they last 10 time as long as the regular tube?
Will each individual bulb save $20 in 5.7 years of use?
Point being at this point in time they are not cost effective.
On Friday, January 1, 2016 at 2:50:43 PM UTC-8, keith snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

[about replacing fluorescent with an LED plug-compatible]

Don't just ask, ANSWER that question: 5.7 years, of 10W LED lamp (Feit T24/841 model) giving 700 lumens output, about 40% 'more efficient' than fluorescent equivalent. So, 4W, times 5.7 years, converted to kW-h
'saved' = 4 * 5.7 * 365*24 /1000 = 200 kW-h
At 0.10 per kW-h, that's $20. So, it's priced about right.
The 24" lamps I see (F20T12 on Amazon, like the LED version) are $3 to $8, plus shipping. They claim to take 20W, and deliver 1200 lumens, but there's some aging and the spec only covers the lamp, not the ballast's efficiency.
On 1/1/2016 6:36 PM, whit3rd wrote:

I pay 0.19 so they really are a good deal.