OT: CFL Bulbs

Page 1 of 8
I'm guessing some of you are still using CFLs until you need to replace them, yes? If so, you might want to keep an eye on them.
I caught this CFL burnt out last night from down the hallway. When we walked into the kitchen to check on it, we found it dark, except for the spot glowing cherry red in the light in the ceiling...
http://s265.photobucket.com/user/AMDHamm/media/CFL%20Bulb.jpg.html
Note the burnt section in the right-hand photo. We replaced the bulb with a different brand CFL only because we already had one. As soon as the remaining CFLs are used up, we will be replacing them with LEDs. This one lasted about half it's stated lifespan, approx. 5.5 years.
Guess the power company (Duke) did not thoroughly review thier free product quality. Now they give away a different brand. I find little comfort in contemplating the power company desiring to burn my house down in the middle of a cold winter night.
`Casper "Oh, yeah. Oooh, ahhh, that's how it always starts. Then later there's running and screaming." -Dr. Ian Malcom
On 12/30/2015 1:21 PM, Casper wrote:

I went ahead and removed all my CFLs and replaced with LEDs. I may as well start saving now than later, regardless of how little it may be. It all adds up.

Indeed it does but the expense of LEDs is not in the budget right now. Train your mind to test every thought, ideology, train of reasoning, and claim to truth.
On 12/30/2015 3:24 PM, Casper wrote:

I have an advantage...I get the bulbs for free.
On 12/30/2015 3:40 PM, Meanie wrote:

I don't have to worry about LED and CFL lights until my stock of tungsten light is exhasted. That should be about 5 to 10 years in the future.
Maybe by then they will have lights that actually give adequate light the instance you turn on the switch by then
On 12/30/2015 4:23 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

I'm guessing you haven't experienced the LEDs then. When I changed out my CFLs in the garage/shop, I was elated I didn't have to wait for them to warm up to the dull yellow color that the CFLs put out. They are daylight bright at an instant.
On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 16:23:52 -0500, Keith Nuttle

My "40Watt" shop lamps have all been replaced with LED's with way more lumens for a brighter shop/garage. I by 60 watt replacement LED's at fry's on sale 2.50 or so each. The hot ticket for chandelier's with hidden bulbs, way, way cooler on the junction box connections. I have kitchen fixtures that are LED's. Just don't turn the lights on full if you're half sleepy. :)
I got rid of all fluorescent's due to socket ballast problems and fire. Ballasts on all, and I mean ALL fixtures are subject to overheating and fire. Good electrician shoot the ballasts with a temperature gun to determine early failures, and potential fires down the road.
Otherwise save the failed fixtures, like in the picture above and use them in your old bulldog backyard shops, which are insured for fire. Use fire detector alarms so you can be sure to get out.
On 12/30/2015 3:23 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

I assure you LED lights are more than adequate in brightness, instantly.
On 12/30/2015 7:08 PM, Leon wrote:

Amen to that. CFL's sucked right from the beginning. LED's are great, other than price which is comming down fast.
I replaced two of 3 75w incandescents over my pool table with 60 or 65w LED's and you cannot tell them apart from the 75w incandescent. The CFL's NEVER gave the same light as = wattage incandescents. If they last 1/2 as long as rated, they will be awesome. I don't like the white daylight ones though, they are really harsh.
Also, in my kitchen I replaced all the canister spotlights with led's and now instead of 600 watts I use only a few watts at full brightness, which is brighter than the originals and only use a few watts.
This can only get better and cheaper as time goes on, and you don't need no stinkin' government hacks mandating their use.
--
Jack

Pity we can't line up all the stinking government hacks in question and shove CF bulbs up their butts until we've exhaust the whole supply (of bulbs that is).
says...

LEDs do that now.
On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 16:23:52 -0500, Keith Nuttle

+1
I have a couple hundred 60 and 100W bulbs downstairs.

By which time you will have spent five to ten times as much on electricity to operate those lamps as you would spend to replace them all with LEDs now.

Such lights already exists. They're called LEDs.
And the good ones are useable on dimmers.
I got a work lamp - double flood - dual arrays of LED's. Each head plugs into a wall socket like plug. The lamps are very bright and NO HEAT! - I hated the high intensity bulb that all but melts glass. High heat. Have one close and you get UV sunburn. Now with the LED's they work nicely. Same pole/tripod... each head swivels....
Martin
On 12/31/2015 1:08 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Martin Eastburn wrote:

Hmm.. good point. I guess that means we can use higher-rated bulbs. For instance, I have a glass fixture that burns out 100W, incandescent bulbs, so went to 60W. But it's not as bright as I would like. So I guess maybe I should try 100W, LED. I mainly mention this in case in case it helps someone else. But while I am posting , what is the rating of the brightest LED bulb that would generate the same heat as a 60W bulb? Is the answer as simple as the bulb which actually uses 60W?
Bill

Bill wrote:

Hmm. Maybe the answer isn't simple as that. Are LED bulbs any more "vulnerable" to heat the incandescent bulbs?

Absolutely! They're semiconductor devices, after all.
krw wrote:

I didn't know that! I knew about lumens and watts (and it bugs me when I see different lumens on bulbs of the same wattage--the traditional gold standard in brightness measurement! ; ) )

Different bulbs of the same wattage will have different output. Efficiency isn't a constant, even for one bulb technology. In a general sense, a lower efficiency bulb (lower lumens per watt) will last longer. It has a longer, heavier filament.
Don't forget color temperature, either. ;-) A "colder" (higher color temperature) fluorescent will look brighter than a "warmer" color.

Many of the LED bulbs have fins on them. They're heat sinks trying to keep the bulb and its integrated power supply cool. I haven't played too much with the small high-powered LEDs, but I'm sure they generate a good amount of heat.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.