OT: Cedar for cooking

But I am painfully bored. :~)

Reply to
Leon

Huh? I would never describe Hydrogen Sulfide as "boring!" High School, on the other hand ... :-)

Reply to
John Santos

HS is hydrogen sulfide, eh?

Make that H2S.

Lethal deadly stuff in any concentration.

Is it any wonder why so many morons die from things they don't understand?

No.

I just wonder how they are so goddam fertile.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Mark & Juanita wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Overfill (overflow?) protection device.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

"Patriarch" wrote

Why is it that when you take a tank in for refilling, the high school senior in charge will bust your balls for an OPD tank, yet doesn't know that tanks should only be filled to 80%?

I took two empty tanks in the other day. Should have held 8 gallons, right?

80% of 10. He put in 9.3 total for the two. So much for the OPD and its functionality. Either they don't work, or my math is flawed.

STeve

Reply to
Steve B

"Steve B" wrote in news:pnkjg.103682$iU2.54627@fed1read01:

Or your tanks weren't dead empty...

Reply to
Patriarch

Huh? If they are only supposed to fill them to 80%, and that is 8 gallons, why did they put in 9.3?

Here's yer sign.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Nope, I've smelled H2S and lived.

The human nose can detect it down to ~ 1ppb.

That's why it was commonly used to add odor to otherwise odorless gas making it easier to smell leaks.

It is deadly at low concentrations, but not _any_ concentration.

Reply to
fredfighter

Lumber is often sprayed with a waxy substance so it sheds water easier when stored outside. The cedar at HD is probably Western Red Cedar.

Reply to
fredfighter

O2 is not 'dioxide' it is properly referred to as molecular oxygen. 'Dioxide' is used exclusively in reference to compounds with at least one other element.

And a pure oxygen atmospher is quite dangerous. Things will burn that would not burn in air, or ignite at a lower temperature, (remember Apollo 1?). Oxygen narcosis can kill a person.

Remember the song by "Sweet"--_Love is Like Oxygen_.

Reply to
fredfighter

Trouble is, if the concentration is enough to make a difference, you will be passed out before you know what's going on. And dead or brain dead shortly thereafter. There aren't a lot of lucid discussions between H2S accident survivors.

I worked in oilwell drilling for about ten years. "Sour wells" were something to be respected and feared. Yes, you can take measures, but yes, they will kill you in two breaths. And if it's coming out fast enough, you can't run far enough and fast enough to escape it.

You're just dead.

It also occurs in sewer workers, and those who work in the open manhole environment.

Nasty deadly stuff. Everyone has smelled the "rotten egg" smell of the swamp, the sewer, the decomposing organic matter. But if you have ever smelled it in a high concentration, you can't talk about it. You're just dead.

You may have different views and experiences than mine. For anyone who wants to learn about this, just google hydrogen sulfide and hydrogen sulfide fatalities and learn some things that just might save your life one day.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Regarding the recent H2S discussions:

this while looking for 1980 hydrogen sulfide fatalities from oilfield drilling. That year, a rig I was offered a contract on went to the Middle East. It had a hydrogen sulfide blowout that killed 27 men during the time I would have been on it.

These incredible photos were shot from the Randolph Yost, the rig I would have been on during that H2S accident off Abu Dhabi. The accident in the photo happened when the Randolph Yost was in the Indian Ocean, I believe.

I don't miss the oilfield one bit.

Read the text. The whole thing started with an injured finger.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Reply to
sweetsawdust

Actually IIUC it cannot be smelled in anything but very low concentrations. In higher, concentrations it saturates the receptors and the smell goes

away, even though the concentration is higher.

Chemists who work with reactions that liberate H2S know that as long as you CAN smell it, you're OK. It's when you stop smelling it that you're in big trouble--or dead.

BTW, I think they use mercaptans (organo-sulfer comopunds) now to odorize gas.

Reply to
fredfighter

"Steve B" wrote in news:%qrjg.103725$iU2.22726@fed1read01:

You're right. I read that too fast. Sorry.

Where do I post my sign? ;-)

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I read it to say he put in 9.3 for the two tanks (average of 4.65/tank).

But I also figured that the tanks are typically rated in pounds (10 pound bottle, 20 pound, 100 pound), where propane is sold by the litre around here. How the two relate, I have NO idea.

Clint

Reply to
Clint

Ayup. Unlike that other "natural gas," methane has no odor to a human.

Reply to
George

Agreed. IIRC, US Propane tanks of this size are said to be forty pounders. Yet, I have rarely seen them filled on a scale. (I HAVE seen them filled while being weighed on a scale, but I think only once or twice.) It is always stated in US gallons on the meter. That's meter in measuring device and not meter as in 39.36 inches.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B