OT - Catching Turtles

Jonas has caught a few nice size turtles, maybe 30 lbs or so, at the farm. A slough runs along the back edge of the property. He's bragged, to som e of his friends, about his catches. Turtle meat, on the hoof, is going f or about $17/lb, around here.

This morning, while working on a coffee table, a friend of Jonas called. T he friend took his teenage daughter and 3 of her friends turtle hunting, do wn near Jeanerette, La. This is what they're catching... they weren't kee ping anything under 80 lbs. He sent Jonas this pic.

/

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Youza. Serious "vice grips" on that critter! How do they catch them?

Reply to
Kevin Miller

I'm aware they are sometimes found by probing a pole into water, where bubb les rise to the surface.... most Atchafalaya River Basin areas (swamp-like) aren't very deep. The pole taps onto the back of the turtle. I've heard rumor some (crazy) guys jump into the shallower waters and crab them.

Jonas and most turtle hunters set baited traps - a wire cage, kinna like a extra-large dog kennel/carry, with floatation foam inside, to keep the turt les from drowning, once they enter.

On fishing outings, a baited line is used. In that pic, there seems to be a weighted line hanging from the turtle's mouth. Jonas's friend said they tried several kinds of bait and found beef kidney was the only bait they w ere biting on.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Turtle sauce piquant ... can taste it as I type it. Camp food deluxe. What I wouldn't give for a bowl about right now.

Reply to
Swingman

You could use that turtle to trim down a branch suppose.

Reply to
Markem

Great photo and nice turtle. Are they on the IUCN list?

".. May 23rd is World Turtle Day. It is a day of celebrating the many unique and ancient species of turtles and tortoises around the world, and bringing awareness to their need for protection. Of the 207 species of turtle and tortoise alive today, 129 of them are listed by IUCN as vulnerable, endangered, or critically endangered. That's an incredibly 62% of species!"

Reply to
Casper

Yes, but are of least concern. Reference:

"Justification: While the Snapping Turtle is widely exploited and impacted by a wide variet y of other factors, the species is adaptable and widespread, and has a rela tively high reproductive potential. Local declines have been documented, bu t overall the species does not approach a 30 percent range-wide decline ove r three generations (likely around 50 years), nor is it likely to approach this level in the near future. As such, the species is assessed as Least Co ncern."

This Saturday is World Turtle Day? Good timing. I didn't know that. Jo nas' son, Ian, loves turtles, as pets. He will no doubt like to hear this WTD news.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

This morning, while working on a coffee table, a friend of Jonas called. The friend took his teenage daughter and 3 of her friends turtle hunting, down near Jeanerette, La. This is what they're catching... they weren't keeping anything under 80 lbs. He sent Jonas this pic.

Sonny

Blimey, that's some beast. As a matter of interest, what happens to the shells? I would be interested in acquiring one, although I'm not sure of the legality of sending one to England. Nick.

Reply to
Nick

I doubt it's illegal to send/ship a shell from here. It would be your cou ntry's policy, as to it entering your country legally. These particular tu rtles are not on the endangered specie list.

The whole shell intact? Usually, when cleaning it, the shell is cut acros s both bridges (connection from top of shell to bottom). But I've never s een a large turtle cleaned, so maybe they don't cut the large shells.

As for as I know, they may discard the shell, otherwise, I would think we'd see them for sale in the tourist shops and/or maybe at bait stands and the like, similarly as cleaned & bleached alligator skulls are often sold.

In many cases, at least for small shells, the shells have a tendency to fal l apart, i.e., come apart along its seams (sutures or synarthrodial joints) , if left untreated/unsecured in some way. I've never dealt with them, so I really don't know. I'll have to ask about preserving them.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny