OT: Carbon credits

Page 3 of 4
On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 17:41:41 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

They're no state secret.

Try Google. $30K/yr in electricity AND another $30K/yr in natural gas is accounts for a tad more CO2 than I use.
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/national_world&idP72659
Revivul wrote:

How? By mandating reduced usage? By putting down a bet on sunbeams? Virtually ALL of the imported oil goes to the transportation sector. The ONLY way to reduce that importation is to grossly limit movement of people, goods, and supplies.

No, it's not finite in the sense we're running out. Every year the known reserves of petroleum increase.
Of the top 15 countries exporting oil to the U.S. (Canada, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, Venezuela, Iraq, Angola, Algeria, etc.), only one (Venezuela) can be said to be controlled by an unstable regime.

Um, respiratory issues true, but pollution today is lower than it ever has been; certainly lower than in 1975, even lower than it was in 1850 London. An argument can be made that advances in technology (powered by energy) now allow those with respiratory problems, such as asthma, to lead lives of chronic, but manageable, difficulty, but live nevertheless, rather than dying off pretty quickly with an acute problem.
In addition, you're not going to produce much steel with a water-wheel or donkeys trudging in a circle.

Huh? Are you saying that war is a BAD thing? That's just plain nuts. War, in general, is a Good Thing (tm) - at least wars pursued by us.

Well, let's have some of these valid reasons, then.

Says you.
Alternative fuel sources -- hydrogen highway, to cite but one possibility.

Until when? Are we making more?
No. So ... it's finite. Why must we run a nation in 365 day cycles. Why not get ahead of a problem ... even once ... without throwing blood and treasure at it?

Nice re-phrase/twist/manipulation.
I always wonder if the people who engage in this sort of tactic, online, would do so at the corner coffee shop, face to face. I tend to doubt it. It's cheap, and I'd surely call you on it.
And am.
Who sits on the largest % of the known oil reserves in the world?

Would it or would it not be reduced further with clean, renewable energy sources, rather than huge reliance on fossil fuels??
'Nother manipulation/dodge on your part.

Hm. I'm skeptical that fossil fuels and wter wheels/donkeys are the only two options. Nice black/white argument.

Sigh. You'll never see what you look away from.
Confirmation bias. It's rife on this ng.
On 1/10/2010 7:14 PM, Revivul wrote:

Note the NAME of the forum you have taken upon yourself in which to post your ideology, then try posting some actual "woodworking" content and you may well be surprised ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I'm stuck.
It *seems* that what *you're* saying is that woodworkers (of which I am one) are illogical, irrational, intellectually dishonest, and both narrow- and closed- minded.
But that shouldn't be right.
If I've mis-interpreted, please elaborate.
SURELY you don't ALL think that Freud dado sets are incredible and wonderful, but the only an absolute *idiot* would *ever* consider using a Forrest Dado King.
Surely, there are those who like the PM66 and those who like the Unisaw.
Surely, there are those who like power tools, and the occasional neanderthal who prefers old-world hand tools.
Surely this is NOT the monolithic group that you convey. In my time as a woodworker, it's abundantly clear to me that this is a pursuit that requires *great* mental agility, clear-thinking, and a logical approach.
Right?
Confirmation bias* is an inherently evil and destructive thing.
So are the other dodges, argumentative tricks and manipulations, and logical fallacies that are bandied about on this ng when ANY OT thread comes up -- particularly in response to information or positions that don't jibe with the popular ones, here.
Why?
Why not have a discussion directly and honestly ... about ... whatever the topic is, provided you'd care to engage?
My take? Fear and insecurity.
People tend to be wildly uncomfortable with not knowing. THINKING that they know, then, provides great comfort.
Whereas admitting credible information, and then considering it, is just too unsettling for many people.
And that's a damned shame.
I *thrive* on valid and intelligent challenges to *my* beliefs.
WTF is the point of listening to a bunch of people who think as I already do? I'm plenty intellectually secure. I don't need that reinforcement.
--

I think I erred, yesterday, in combining my bench top mortiser WITH my
router table for making my mortises. I used the 3/8" straight bit to
On 1/11/2010 9:38 AM, Revivul wrote:

Rachel, Rachel? Is that you, Rachel Maddow? We didn't know YOU were a woodworker!!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Thanks for proving my point.

Have you considered cashing yerself in fer carbon credits?
nb

Thanks for proving my point.

What point? I gave up halfway thru yer mastubatory blather.
nb

And ... thanks for proving it just that much more thoroughly.

PDFTFT!
On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 16:06:37 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Hm.
And how, exactly, do I constitute a "troll?"
Apparently, it's one who holds a different opinion, huh?
Thanks for ... proving my point.
Revivul wrote:
... snip of long diatribe detailing how the rest of us are a bunch of rubes because we don't agree with his much more nuanced, intellectual position. The fact that we have cited facts, pointed to documented intellectual dishonesty on the part of researchers and other foundational elements doesn't matter, we are all just reinforcing our biases.
i.e., if we all just agreed with his position, there would no longer be evidence of confirmation bias in this group.

Rob Leatham
So, what have you made from wood lately?
The last thing I did was a bowl from a piece of box elder burl as a Christmas gift for the family of a good friend of my 14 year old son.
My next project may be a large bookcase for my daughter's room.

----------------------------------------------- When you have facts, use them.
When you don't, throw crap on the wall and hope it sticks.
A classic case of crap on the wall.
Lew

We've seen them come and go, here on the wreck. Remember "The Man in the Doorway" a few years back?
I don't recall who summed that one up, but the line was classic:
"There's someone filling a much needed gap."
On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 21:27:08 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone

I recall tmitd (doesn't deserve caps) but don't recall the saying. I _like_ it! I just wish everyone would stop replying to the trolls, no matter how on-topic it might be. Most are just hot button presses and don't need to be addressed.
I'd sleep better at night if only spamming, stupidity, and trolling were _painful_...
--============================================-- Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. --- http://diversify.com/handypouches.html ToolyRoo(tm) and Possum(tm) Handy Pouches NOW AVAILABLE!
On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 08:21:01 -0800, Larry Jaques

How does holding a different opinion constitute a troll.
In effect, you (pl) are saying that ... if you don't see the world in the exact same way as "We" do, then you're a troll.
There IS no better proof for my point than that.
Amazing.

The perfect example of a troll is the continous repetition of a tedious statement that annoys rather than intrigues.

text-book
nb