OT- Captain jumps overboard, SEALs shoot pirates (Apr 12) (US 3, Pirates 0)

Page 4 of 6
"Swingman" wrote:

Naw, he already has a full ration, they are members of the US military.
Lew
Swingman wrote:

Rubbish. I accept that the media as a whole leans liberal. But you seem to have forgotten the NY Times cheerleading for the invasion of Iraq, to pretend the media did nothing but attack Bush whether he deserved it or not is not a credible position. There were certainly people prepared to believe that if it rained on their birthday Bush was responsible, but there were at least as many willing to cut his administration a mind-boggling amount of slack. If Carter's attempted rescue of the hostages in Iran had worked he'd have been re-elected in a landslide, and if those WMDs in Iraq we were warned about had really been there Bush would have left office a hero instead of a bum. We haven't heard about WMDs in Iraq because there were none to be found, not because the media didn't tell us about it.
If Carter's attempted rescue of the hostages in Iran had worked he'd

You are being funny right? It was his total inability to be effective with every thing the he was involved in that got him elected out of office. The economy was the bigger problem.
and if those WMDs in Iraq we were

When you tell your enemy that you are going to invade and destroy their weapons AND give them 6 months to hide them....

Thus making Bush more of a bum...? Or less of one?

Bush is a swaggering loudmouth who knows that he isn't going to have to pay the bill, be it economic or physical.
"Charlie Self" wrote:

So true.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Obama is a "community organizer" so I reckon he will be paying the bills...
--
Jack
Charlie Self wrote:

"Swaggering?" Heh! That's what Sadaam thought. We invaded his country, evicted him from his homes, confiscated his money, exiled his family, imprisoned his friends, killed his children, then, ultimately, had his skanky ass hanged.
As for "paying the bill," I'll remind you that the deficit under Obama's first year is larger than the deficits of all the Bush years.
Combined.
Here's a graph:
http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/files/2009/04/obamadebt.jpg

Now, add the war costs to Bush's graphs....
On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 14:53:42 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Doing so implies those figures don't already include those government expenditures. If they don't, the graph is misleading. If they do, adding them a second time is just as misleading.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

That is what I am implying.

Indeed.
Robatoy wrote:

And the $400 billion or so of the trust funds that are counted as revenue and spent every year and replaced with an IOU which isn't counted as an expenditure.
Interesting that the graph shows a surplus in 2000 and 2001, but the national debt has increased each and every year since 1960.
On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 15:51:28 -0700, Doug Winterburn

I don't know one way or the other whether the graph represents any reliable view of reality, but from what I've seen, accountants can play some funny games with numbers and it sometimes looks like government accountants play games that would get private sector accountants locked up.
Once you get away from the principle of "take the money you get, subtract the money you spend, and what's left is what you've got" there's way too much room for misrepresentation.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Doug Winterburn wrote:

Rounding error.
HeyBub wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

Whats a few trillion here and there?
--
Jack
HeyBub wrote:

But... Obama is a "Community Organizer" so he WILL feel your pain...
--
Jack
Charlie Self wrote:

There were deficits under Bush, true. In his last year it was about $400 billion. A lot, but a robust economy could overcome that. Obama's 1st year deficit is projected at $1.85 trillion (CBO).
In fact the 1st year Obama deficit alone is larger than the deficits for all the Bush years combined. Obama's second year's deficit is projected at $1.4 trillion. The deficit drops a bit faster after that, the third year's deficit a more modest $1 trillion.
The president has taken note of this, however. According to the Washington post just today:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/19/AR2009041902009.html
The president has ordered his departments to come up with $100 million in cuts. Considering the entire budget is $3.5 trillion, the cuts the president proposes are equivalent to a family with a $75,000 income giving up two cups of coffee. Or a family making $250,000 giving up one paperback book. Per year.
HeyBub wrote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/19/AR2009041902009.html
for a family of four. Since the median household income is about $50,000 a year...
Doug Winterburn wrote:

No one should need more than 64K memory, or $10 grand a year to live on. I think Obama should tax any income over 10 grand at 90%... Perhaps then his rich bitch wife could no longer afford those $400 lunches I heard about on the internet...
--
Jack