OT- Captain jumps overboard, SEALs shoot pirates (Apr 12) (US 3, Pirates 0)

Page 1 of 6
http://digg.com/world_news/American_captain_rescued_pirates_killed_U_S_official_says

GO NAVY!
Robatoy wrote:

Go SEALS
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Fantastic results.
On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 14:09:36 -0700 (PDT), Charlie Self

Yes, indeed!!!
There was a tongue-in-cheek opinion among Marines at the time of my tour that the worst thing you could do is give a Swabbie a rifle and run him up on the beach. I'm very happy to see a counter example to that opinion. Well done, Navy!!!
Saw one news blurb that almost apologetically mentioned that pirates were killed in the rescue. My reaction was "Who gives a royal shit that they were killed."
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Tom Veatch wrote:

Agreed.
Old ex-Army paratrooper: "And the guy only had to jump overboard twice before the swabbies had it figured out!" ;-)

Probably neither you nor I - but their families might...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Right Morris, but if the families are that concerned, they should talk them into another line of work. They could sell Amway instead.
They made the choice to play with guns.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yessir... and Mary Kay Cosmetics, and Tupperware, and Avon, and... encyclopedias. Especially encyclopedias. Burial plots, too.

Yeah, although I wonder how many of 'em had wanted to be pirates when they grew up...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

Hey they started chewing that Weed which makes them higher then kites when just infants. Most haven't a clue what they're doing. Guess you could say they're the "Walking Dead".. So someone needs to stop them from walking..Specially if they're walking with a rifle.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Say... Does anyone else see the irony?

Hard not to.

There always seems to be another point of view. It all depends on where you're standing at the time, eh?
http://www.fourwinds10.com/siterun_data/government/war/bushs_terrorism_war/news.php?q=1239471001
Morris Dovey wrote:

It was either that or corporate CEO. Oh, wait...they're the same.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Sure, Amway. Something does need to be done to help improve conditions in the area, so that piracy is a less attractive option. With a few more operations such as the one yesterday, piracy is going to look less good to unemployed, and unemployable, youth, but there seem to be few other options avaiable.
What I can't understand is how these impoverished people come by all their AK47s and RPGs and other weapons, none of which, in operating conditon, is cheap. Not to mention the ammo they seem to blast into the air every few minutes to express anger, joy, dismay or peaceful intent.
Charlie Self wrote:

AKs are one of the most copied weapons in the world , china makes millions of them .
The old soviet block and the west have supplied weapons and ammunition to the varous African states for decades.
wrote in message

Snip
What I can't understand is how these impoverished people come by all their AK47s and RPGs and other weapons, none of which, in operating conditon, is cheap. Not to mention the ammo they seem to blast into the air every few minutes to express anger, joy, dismay or peaceful intent.
They had the ability to steal on the high seas, I imagine stealing what they wanted on the ground may have been less trouble. They steal what they want and need.

That could explain this?:
http://www.idahostatesman.com/worldnews/story/729917.html
There are always a few misguided people who think everything is stage- craft. (AKA Never mind what it is..what does it LOOK like?)(AKA HOW can we score political points with the tax-paying serfs so they keep thinking we're all heroes?)
But *I* think that Ted Nugent's suggestion that if you drill a few car- jackers, right through the door of your car, and putting a .45 on your lap as you drive through bad areas of Detroit, had a LOT to do with that car-jacking incident rate dropping like a stone. Nobody likes their junk shot off.
THAT is change *I* can believe in.
On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 08:33:17 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Two things are required for punishment to be a deterrent, immediacy and certainty. Nugent's suggestion meets both criteria. On the other hand the US criminal justice system meets neither.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Yup. And if 85+% of the hijackers off the Somalia coast don't return, I have a feeling that others will somewhat less eager to go and take those risks. Now the problem is those 200+ hostages that are being held...and I might add, being held due to inaction.
If they are in a legitimate fishing boat, they should be registered and carry the appropriate transponder. If they get within 1 nmile of a merchant vessel, ice the bastards.
Charlie Self wrote:

AK47s go for as little as $30 in most parts of the world (of course $30 is a lot of money is most parts of the world). The weapon itself only has seven moving parts and can be fabricated from scratch in most machine shops.
I have one and am impressed with how simple the sucker is. Search the web and compare exploded diagrams for an AK47 and an AR15. Heck, even a modern Smith & Wesson revolver has twice as many parts as an AK47!
AK47 http://www.ak47rifles.net/ak47rifleschematics.asp
AR15 http://www.dogfightink.com/ARparts.html
And, yes, there are machine shops in Somalia (and TV stations and waffle-irons).