OT? can drywall be used in place of suspended ceiling tiles?

Sorry, but could not locate a ng about remodeling. I am going to create a home theater room in the basement and due to the subwoofage, regular 2x2 ft. suspended ceiling tile will vibrate and needs to be topped with random pieces of drywall. As a money-saving shortcut, would it be possible to cut 2x2 ft. pieces of half inch drywall and use in the place of ceiling tile in a suspended ceiling?? TIA
Michael S.
I would say no, too heavy. Have you considered rather than a drop ceiling, using drywall on the ceiling? You could sandwitch rubber strips between the drywall and the joists. Then either use heavy insulation or even better, use the heavy spray expanding insulation.
I personally do not like the look of a drop ceiling. It looks too unfinished and cheap.
But that is just my opinion.
??? wrote:

I agree that drywall would probably be too heavy for a drop ceiling, but I personally wouldn't recommend drywalling the ceiling. I agree drywalled ceilings look much better, and much more finished, but my basement ceiling was drywalled by the previous home owner. I curse and swear at that ceiling, and threaten to rip it down every time I want to run a new wire of some type. Maybe it's not so bad if you do your own wiring before putting up the drywall, but I will never buy a house with an already drywalled basement ceiling again.
...Mike
Yes, you can but the suspended weight will be excessive and the cut ends will shower drywall dust. Why not use the retainer clips you can get for suspended ceilings?
--
Erik "Grumpa" Ahrens
Apprentice Termite

You, could go to a supplier of suspended ceilings and get the *blow proof ceiling tiles. Basically drywall that has the ends papered up to prevent dust spillage. I'm a phone and data wiring contractor, and run across these types of tiles all the time. Especially in the meat departments and such in Wal-marts, and in the kitchen areas of restaurants.
--
This space for rent.
Jerry The Phoneman

Plenty of home theater newsgroups. Here's what I did in mine. 1) Run four times as many wires as you think you'll ever need 2) Design cable runs (large conduits) in case you need more 3) Put up a product called SoundBoard first 4) Drywall the ceiling
Soundboard is amazing stuff. Our HT is in the basement under the kitchen. Really does a great job of knocking down the highs. Sub freq's are very expensive to remove, but SoundBoard does reduce them slightly.
I assume you were thinking tiles in case you needed to run more wires. My cable run took care of most of my worry.
Another point AGAINST sheetrock ceiling - In a home theater the acoustics off of a sheetrock ceiling may be undesirable. I have seen carpet squares glued to the ceiling, open celled foam and carpet hung from a ceiling. All to prevent sound from bouncing off of to many walls. A "hard-lid" like sheetrock would only accentuate the cross sound problems.
--
Erik "Grumpa" Ahrens
Apprentice Termite
: Sorry, but could not locate a ng about remodeling. I am going to create a : home theater room in the basement and due to the subwoofage, regular 2x2 ft. : suspended ceiling tile will vibrate and needs to be topped with random : pieces of drywall. As a money-saving shortcut, would it be possible to cut : 2x2 ft. pieces of half inch drywall and use in the place of ceiling tile in : a suspended ceiling?? TIA
To soundproof a wall or ceiling, either use Homosote (a sound-deadening panel), or hang drywall with a metal strip whose name I can't recall. Both will basically isolate your room from the other rooms it shares joists with.
    - Andy Barss
This won't help if you need access above your ceiling, but if you're willing to tear out the existing grid, there is a grid available at ceiling supply houses that is made for hanging full sheets of drywall from. Its heavier than regular grid and made to accept drywall screws through the bottom. You get a nice flat ceiling without the hassle of furring out joists, and its reasonably priced.