OT: CAD ramblings

Not long ago, I asked for some input on CAD. I received a lot of really great leads and suggestions. For a while, it looked like the Ashlar Vellum route was the way to go. When ordering the particular version which piqued my interest, I was asked if I was doing a 'competitive upgrade'. I was told I needed the next- bigger (more expensive by $ 3000.00) version if I wanted to be able to all those things that my current software delivers. I tried for a few weeks to like it. Too damned much money for those few features.

The search continued.

I'm currently playing (oops, studying) GraphiteOneCAD running under Linux on my Mac. (Using Parallels) Other than the 99 bucks for Parallels, all free. No charge. Nada. Zip.

It's a bit clunky. Somewhat AutoCAD-like. It has a milling feature I really like.

The search continues.

Robatoy

Have you got a link to a site for that?

Thanks

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

There ya go:

Robatoy

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Yor velkomm

PS...I had some trouble with running Python OSX (there are so many, and not all good ones), hence the Python/Linux

Reply to
Robatoy

You may want to try TurboCad.

They have a version for the Mac. I have been using their PC version for a number of years and really like it.

Skip

Skip Williams

Tue, Dec 4, 2007, 8:18pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Robatoy) doth sayeth: Not long ago, I asked for some input on CAD.

I've decided a router jig is needed to cut time on making two pieces I use (so two jigs actually). I make the pieces by tacking amaster patterns on ply, and routing out. I use small nails for this because I've tried double-stick tape, and rubber cement, and they're both a PITA to clean off. The nail holes either will be hidden, will be painted over, will be filleld, or are in a place it won't matter, plus using the nails is faster. I'll be plenty easy to cut pieces to size, then hold them in place under the master pattern by pieces glued to the edge of the master. To allow the stock to be inserted easily, and taken out, one edge of each jig will be open, so I can apply pressure using my thumbs. This will mean I want some piecs glued on top, to use to apply pressure with my fingers, and to be sure I don't have a finger over a side to get routed. I am very conscious of the safety of my body pats around whirly parts. So, I promptly fired up my current version of CAD (actually a pencil and paper). I sketched out a design. It'll work. But how well I don't know. I'll still make the jigs, just not from the designs I drew up. Instead I'll go out in the shop, cut small pieces, and glue them to a master pattern, so I can adjust the finger holds as needed. I'll also be putting a bridge, or cover, over the places to be routed, so I can't put my fingers in place. I guess I'm just not a CAD guy..

JOAT Even Popeye didn't eat his spinach until he had to.

Reply to
J T

I'm running Linux, so this should be an easy go. Are you doing 3D?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

IIRC Robatoy has N/C machines to deal with. They need CAD. Even if you draw it on paper you have to eventually convert it into a form that can control the machine.

Reply to
J. Clarke