OT: But not really OT..this could be my next project.

Page 3 of 3

When we were kids we,, I had to pay neighbor kids 5 cents to make me one.... a wooden clothes pen kitchen match igniter and launcher. I never could quite figure out how to make one but the spring ended up on the outside of the two wooden pieces and you would cock it, insert the kitchen match head first, and then press back on the spring. The match would fly out out about 6 feet and on fire. Mom took mine away. ;~(
Leon wrote:

Wow, that sound like a lot of fun! Wish I had one...maybe he's still in business? : )
Bill
For all you over-the-hill juvenile delinquents here are movies and all sorts of directions for making clothespin guns:
<http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=how+to+make+a+clothespin+gun&aq=1m&aqi=g1g-m3g-v1&aql=&oq=clothespin+gun&pbx=1&fp 008d84f286047>
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

<http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=how+to+make+a+clothespin+gun&aq=1m&aqi=g1g-m3g-v1&aql=&oq=clothespin+gun&pbx=1&fp 008d84f286047>
Thet looked very similar from what I can remember some 50 years back.

<http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=how+to+make+a+clothespin+gun&aq=1m&aqi=g1g-m3g-v1&aql=&oq=clothespin+gun&pbx=1&fp 008d84f286047>
Here it is!
http://deuceofclubs.com/randumb/clothespingun/clothespingun08.htm

That's the safest way to light your LOX-assisted charcoal fire.
-- To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- J. K. Rowling

I like that one! Cannon ball sand!
We would take paper matches, and tear most of the shaft off, wrap a couple layers of aluminum foil around the head and crimp it shut around the remaining paper shaft to make a sort of nozzle. Then, lay it on the mantle and hold a candle or lighter below it and see who could get them to go the farthest. All of this inside, of course!
Stuppid kidds!
--
Jim in NC

We made the higher performance model. Strike anywhere wooden match for more power. Break the head off, mount match head on pin. Wrap with tinfoil and mold tightly to pin. Pull pin out forming nozzle. Bend the center section of a paper clip up to make a launcher.

puled the mold off the cooker with a wire handle so you didn't burn yourself. Once it cooled down, you pulled the finished product out of the mold. Then you used a knife or scissors to trim the flash. All kinds of neat ways to hurt yourself with that one. Had one of those when I was about 7 or 8.
snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.nett says...

How about chemistry sets with real chemicals? And an alcohol lamp for bending glass.

IIRC you could eat those things.
snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org says...

Yeah, when I was a kid if you burned yourself you learned "don't touch that, it's hot", now you learn "let's sue somebody and get rich".

message wrote:

to someone you can sue"?
snipped-for-privacy@alphacomm.net says...

<chuckle> That does explain much.

Ditto. I mostly made signs. The boats were too thin and always cracked. Plastic for those was expensive, IIRC.
-- If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying? -- Shantideva
Not only a metal project but two funny guys!
Nice project and presentation.
Martin