OT: Bush quote

Page 1 of 4

Just saw this quote attributed to Bush about the NSA wire tapping and I thought a few in this group would be amused. I love the guy to death, but sometimes he says the dumbest things...
President Bush: "I'm mindful of your civil liberties, and so I had all kinds of lawyers review the process."
That's good George... as long as you've got it covered.
Joe Barta

As _no_ information gathered from taps without a court order can be used against you, I don't think it's too big a danger. On the other hand, raw intelligence gathered from seemingly innocent circumlocutions can save thousands of lives.
snip.....
Oh boy.... Here we go.....
withholding opinion in the desparate (and probably futile) hope that this thread will die....
jc
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 23:11:50 GMT, "noonenparticular"

I sort of hope it won't. It it keeps the children busy they might not start a new one, and it'll be much easier to filter.

Heeehee! Tom
How about respecting one's civil rights and abiding by FISA as prescribed by law? Can't see the advantage of winning this so-called "war on terrorism" and losing our civil rights. I'd prefer ten 9/11's over living in a police state.

TEF wrote:

You're a fool if you think the US in its current configuration remotely resembles a police state and an enormous fool if you'd prefer "ten 9/11s" to what we have in this nation.
Sadly, such events cannot be visited only upon people like yourself who wish them...
Tim,
If you believe everything that the government tells you for the reasons stated, then clearly you're the fool. As a retired U.S. diplomat, I can tell you that nothing is done by this government (or any other government) without an agenda and sometimes these are not as noble as one would like to believe. It's a slippery slope when terrorism is suddenly justification for illegal domestic spying and torture of prisoners. Yes, we're setting quite the example of democracy to our target audience in the Middle East.

TEF wrote:

Irrelevant. You call your nation a police state and argue that "ten more 9/11s" would be preferable. There is a legitimate debate to be had about security v. civil liberty, but your bellowing isn't even in the neighborhood. I hope you were a better diplomat than you are an observer of Reality...
As for reality, I saw one of the planes strike the Pentagon from my work place in Virginia on 9/11, but I still don't agree that an administration should insidiously and illegally undermine civil rights in the name of terrorism. And another reality is that if left unchecked, governments have been known to progressively suspend civil rights due to real or perceived external threats. But then you'd never question any measures the government might take as you're our reality benchmark.

And I saw it on TV 100's of times. SO WHAT.
but I still don't agree that an administration

It's not the government that is the ptoblem. It's the sit on your butt's that make it corrupt for their own benefit, think they have the public fooled and continue to do nothing, and never try to do anything as a team. Here is a good read for you.
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11009379 /
TEF wrote:

Or manufactured ones :-).
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Then AMF.
TEF wrote:

I have no problem with what they're doing except that they're doing it without a warrant. Since according to FISA the warrants can even be obtained after the fact, I see no need for bypassing that step.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Larry Blanchard wrote:

That's the part I don't understand. If the activities can already be done within FISA, why do they need to bypass it?
It's almost as if they made the call to do the surveilances, then got "caught". Then to justify their actions, they claimed that they had the power to do them and that's the story they're sticking to. I don't know if they did... from what I can tell it's a bit of a gray area.
At any rate, it doesn't seem to me that it's all that big of deal and it sounds worse than it is, but maybe it's good that it's on the table and people are talking about it.
Joe Barta
Joe Barta wrote:

That's the problem. The Bush apologists, and Bush himself, are talking about listening in on a few overseas telephone calls. But that's not what the charge is. The charge appears to be that a domestic surveillance network has been erected to spy on citizens of the US. And that is illegal.
er
--
email not valid

I love that. It's not the nature of the evidence, it's the seriousness of the charges.
The sad thing is that our rights are being eroded, and the left focuses on the wrong problem as usual. The fact that the government is monitoring calls from countries known to harbor terrorists to the US is hardly an infringement on civil rights of US citizens, but more likely designed to make sure that our country survives in order to maintain those rights. Echelon was a much more serious invasion of privacy than targeted surveillance under discussion.
You want to talk real infringements of the rights of US citizens? Let's talk eminent domain -- the fact that someone can have their home or business taken from them in order to give that property to another citizen, private or corporate because the tax base will be enhanced -- *that's* real usurpation of rights and something to which the average citizen has a very real possibility of being exposed. All brought to you not by the eeeevil Bush administration or eeeevil conservative judges bent on the destruction of privacy rights, but by the other side of the court, Ginsberg, Bryer, Kennedy: all of those paragons of the "privacy rights of Americans". More infringements? How about a farmer who is arrested for plowing *his* field, land upon which he has paid taxes and owns, because some rat *might* get in the way. Or a small business that can be shut down because a bureaucrat who can come onto that property with no warrant nor warning finds some situation that he *thinks* may be a safety violation. In my neck of the woods (or cacti as the case may be), a group of do-gooders, using the force of law, attempted to revoke the rights of property owners to build on certain properties because it would ruin the "viewshed" of the area. *Those* are real infringements upon the civil rights of citizens of this country, yet those actions are not only not opposed by those screaming like stuck pigs over the fact that overseas calls may have been monitored after this country was attacked, but those actions are typically supported by those same people. Seems pretty inconsistent to me.
Mark and Juanita wrote:In my neck of the woods (or cacti as the case may be), a group of do-gooders, using the force of law, attempted to revoke the rights of property owners to build on certain properties because it would ruin the "viewshed" of the area. Did they win the case? Tom
"If you're going through hell, keep going" Winston Churchill

Only partially. Those lands that were already improved were left alone, some land that was not improved fell into the protected category. This wasn't court case (yet), but attempting to use the force of law through the county commissioners to create these new rules. The opposition to this attempt pointed out that the time to protect those lands was before it became private.

Did they win the case? Tom
Only partially. Those lands that were already improved were left alone, some land that was not improved fell into the protected category. This wasn't court case (yet), but attempting to use the force of law through the county commissioners to create these new rules. The opposition to this
attempt pointed out that the time to protect those lands was before it

Just wondering, a Mr. C. Huckleberry?