OT: Burgers!

Page 3 of 4
http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2008/10/the-hamburger-fatty-melt-a-burger-with-two-grilled-cheese-sandwiches-as-its-bun.html

That actually looks good to me....
Robatoy wrote:

Did you happen to notice the name of the photographer?
--
Froz...

LOL. Should have known he'd be doing 'it better'..
Robatoy wrote:

I'm waiting for the Veritas sandwich press.
--
Froz...

With a sliced up jalapeo pepper on it.

With a slice of hot pepper cheese and Vidalia onion.
The key for me is the grillin' sauce. I like it hot. Real hot. Here's a great recipe for moderately hot BBQ sauce. If you like it real hot, substitute a dozen habanero peppers (those orange mamas) for the jalopenos in the recipe.
6 tablespoons soybean oil 1 medium onion, diced 4 jalapeno peppers, stemmed and diced (do not remove seeds) 1 tablespoon salt 1 tablespoon dry mustard powder 1/2 tablespoon black pepper 1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt 1/2 cup brown sugar 3/4 cup cider vinegar 3 cups ketchup 1/2 cup molasses 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce 1 cup water
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and jalapenos and cook over medium heat until onions are soft and transparent, about 5 minutes. Add salt, dry mustard, black pepper, cayenne, and garlic salt. Stir to combine and then mix in the brown sugar. Add the cider vinegar, ketchup, molasses, Worcestershire, and water and whisk all together until thoroughly combined. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 to 35 minutes, whisking every few minutes to prevent sauce from burning and sticking to bottom. Strain sauce to remove onions and jalapenos before serving.
Leon wrote:

For fast food, I usually go for Wendy's.
For myself, I usually make burgers with 80/20 ground beef. Add a little butter or olive oil to the pan to prevent initial sticking (the coating only needs to be as thick as wax on a table saw) and cook until the juice runs clear. Ketchup and bread and butter pickles are usually added, and lettuce and tomato if we've got 'em.
Once in a great while I'll cook an egg and place it on the meat itself.
Deer burgers are great too.
Puckdropper
I am a blue cheese fan also along with a few onion rings.
Jill and I stopped by Lenny's Burger Shop last Sunday and I had a burger with blue cheese and pastrami =yummy.
cm

Robatoy wrote:

1. Fairly fat ground beef...30% or more
2. Cooked so it is still pink in the middle
3. Bun wiped in cooking residue
4. Topped with a nice slice of raw onion.
5. Salt, pepper and - sometimes - some garlic. Garlic sauteed in oil preferably, a shake of powder is less desireable.
IOW, no catsup, no mayo, no mustard, no pickle, no salad...just meat, bun, onion and grease. Grease is good :) _____________

Do you actually mean Blue cheese or are you including roquefort, gorgonzola, Stilton, etc. in that catagory? I happen to love the salty smoothness of roquefort but I wouldn't put it on a burger. Stilton maybe, Blue, not a chance. For a cheese burger, I'd use an extra sharp white cheddar.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Stilton....well, even though they aren't allowed to follow the original recipe, it still makes me shudder a little. Gorgonzola works great. Danish blue does as well. Roquefort...no that goes with fresh fruit.

'Splain about the original "recipe', please. Far as I know, the stuff is still made the same way since when it got its name. You poke holes in the cheese and let the fungus do the work.
Apparently the stuff causes mild hallucinations. This from Wiki:
Bizarre dreams A 2005 study carried out by the British Cheese Board claimed that when it came to dream types, Stilton cheese seemed to cause odd dreams, with 75% of men and 85% of women experiencing bizarre and vivid dreams after eating a 20-gram serving of the cheese half an hour before going to sleep.[6]

Unpasturized Stilton was packed in cow urine... or so the story goes when Chef went nuts looking for it.

That is just a story and you'll find you won't find reference to it anywhere else. It's an English cheese - they might have bathroom humor, but they don't normally add waste products to their food. Now the French on the other hand.... ;)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0539940/plotsummary
On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 14:19:38 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Don't care for burgers at all, but my favorite meat is liver and onions.
On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 14:19:38 -0700, Robatoy wrote:

The local Black Angus sells a blueburger with blue cheese, mushrooms, onions, and the usual condiments. It's also one of the few places left that will do a blood rare burger. That's where I go when I want a real burger and not a cremated cow.

i can still remember a place (in texas no less) that made me sign a release to get a rare burger.

The only rare burger I will eat, is one that I grind myself.