OT: Breathtakingly beautiful.

Page 1 of 2
I HAD to share this with you car aficionados. In my opinion the most incredible design ever...E V A R!!
DAMN that's pretty...
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/jaguar-cx75.jpg

Yeaaaa... I know what you're thinking... A bit of Spyker, some hint of Maserati, as soupcon of cat... but, but it's a HYBRID!!
On Sat, 7 May 2011 17:30:51 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

What' the hell's a "Spyker"?!? The C8 is, ummmm, butt fugly.
Oops, the $103k price I quoted was from an 011 XK.
http://www.buffalojaguar.com/category/jaguar-cx75-buffalo / 778BHP? Me want!
-- The spread of evil is the symptom of a vacuum. whenever evil wins, it is only by default: by the moral failure of those who evade the fact that there can be no compromise on basic principles. -- Ayn Rand
"Robatoy" wrote:

--------------------------------- There was a young man from Boston,
Etc,
Lew

Look at the flowwwww on this black steed:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22K.J.+Henderson%22+motorcycle&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&wrapid=tlif130490609515610&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw 34&bihU6
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
On Sun, 8 May 2011 18:59:39 -0700, "Edward Hennessey"

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuick.
-- If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs. -- misattributed to Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for those pics. Right in my wheelhouse. Stream-lined steam locomotives are up there too. In-line 4...in 1932. Why not? Yea, I like the way that looks. A lot. It is within 1/8 of an inch almost too camp. It wouldn't work in any other colour, I don't think.
On Sun, 8 May 2011 19:24:46 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Nah, they're a foot over. <snort> http://goo.gl/QHCYU
My favorites are the big boys, the old steamers which had the overt round boilers, the dual large wheels, and the big arn cattle guards.
http://images.wisconsinhistory.org/700004040002/0404000028-l.jpg

Color does make a difference. Basic black is it.
-- If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs. -- misattributed to Thomas Jefferson

R:
You're welcome.
For some unfathomable reason the word dynaflow dances with windswept in my left ventricle when I whistle at that machine.
And it was the only one made, ever. Talk about a head turner. Naw, talk about a head spinner.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

Bugger, how the hell did I miss the first post on the Henderson??

It was about a 1930 model is the only one I have ever seen

The Henderson reminded me of this:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/1938Talbot-Darraq.jpg
On Mon, 9 May 2011 05:28:12 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

You probably liked the Auburns, too, dincha? Lovely hood ornament. Click on it and see how much that idiot owner needs to learn the secondary use of a toothbrush. http://www.californiaclassix.com/archive/35_Auburn_c167.html
Ab Jenkins had my ideal job. He drove every car as fast as it would go before it was sold. <vbg>
-- If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs. -- misattributed to Thomas Jefferson

Auburn had their hits and misses. There's boat-tail in town here. The guy and his wife drive it all dressed up in 30's garb.. kinda neat.
BUT.. for pure skewerabilty, the 31 Duesenberg hood ornament takes the cake, and the barbershop, and swordfight...
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/31duesenberg.jpg LETHAL, I tell ya... although not my favourite.
On Mon, 9 May 2011 15:28:19 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

One doesn't _need_ a sword to fall on if they have a Duesenberg. Nice cars.
-- Woe be to him that reads but one book. -- George Herbert
: Look at the flowwwww on this black steed:
: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22K.J.+Henderson%22+motorcycle&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&wrapid=tlif130490609515610&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw 34&bihU6
: Regards,
: Edward Hennessey
Wow, that's gorgeous! Right up there with the streamlined car designs of the 1930s: http://www.neublack.com/art-design/streamlined-vintage-car-designs / http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/05/24/sunday/main2849103.shtml
As for the aforementioned Jaguar hybrid, eh. It's okay in a generic supersportscar-y way. (Maybe more photos would help). There's at least a dozen Jag designs I'd tke over that one.
-- Andy Barss

I have always loved cars. I love the artful designs, the off-wall engineering, the sounds, the smells of leather, rubber, fuel, oil, the feel of wrenches. The way that a design works in one colour, but is ugly in another.... all of course very personal tastes. On my way home from school (Netherlands, very early grades, like 2-5) I would make a detour past the garage where they worked on everything. My dad's cars were always maintained there, and the local ambulance, hearse, police cars were all serviced there... so were some of the more interesting ones. My dad went from an Austin A-40 to a Somerset, to a Morris Oxford, to a VandenPlas, those were all cars for the accountants' office. Personally, he had a series of Bugs, every 2 years a new one. All 'export' models with the double bumpers and all that rot. All that came to an end in 1966 when we moved to Canada and became a bit of a North American car fan... for a while. But I never quit reading all the european car mags I could get my hands on.

Thumbs up on the Bora.

Nope, never did it for me...I found it interesting, but never really liked it.

Ferrari is hot and cold for me. Some wonderful stuff and some stinkers. But all are interesting. THIS one I really like:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/1953Ferrari342.jpg

I liked them because they were so stupid fast on the strip.

My mentor at The National Research Council in Ottawa had a small collection of Loti. A couple of Elans, a Europa, and an Elite. I sat in the Europa, and couldn't get out....easily that is...I was not happy. If that thing had been scaled up, all around, by even 10%, it would have been a hit. Cute though.
Lately I am making a bit of study of automobile badges, logos and hood ornaments. They just don't make them like this anymore: (watch the wrap)
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/1932BuccialiTAV8-32SaoutchikGoldenA.jpg

Oops. forgot to show you what kind of car that logo was on.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/1932Bucciali.jpg
On Sun, 8 May 2011 21:33:18 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Holy Kilos of Emblem, Batman! That's a -large- logo.
-- If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs. -- misattributed to Thomas Jefferson
On Sun, 8 May 2011 21:27:10 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

I stopped wanting to have anything to do with VWs when I rode over a bridge in the SF Bay Area in a VW bus. It was windy that day and the thing must have been tilted 45 degrees. I was looking at the water through the metal mesh of the bridge, wondering when we were either going to roll off the side or blow completely over the guard rails.
Later, a low-flying Bug came around a corner and smacked us head on in my friend's Mazda wagon. It sent us back about 50' while the bug went over the curb, bounced off the brick wall, careened across the road, down through the ditch, across the yard, and stuck itself in the kitchen of the duplex. My head bowed up the roof, my nose broke the windshield, and my chin broke the dashboard. I had a seatbelt on, too. Luckily, I didn't break anything, but I had a helluva whiplash for 6 weeks. My buddy had just shown up a my house after we'd gone through the Coke, denting the bottle of Lemonhart 151 Demerara rum. Since he was sober, I had him drive. He's the one who had lost his hearing due to overdose of morphine at the hospital for his burns after a fire. He was unhurt and flagged down the second ambulance for me. The driver of the bug had been paralyzed from the waist down after her seat had come off the track and wedged her under the steering wheel on the accelerator pedal. Her friend had somehow seen it coming and grabbed her unrestrained 2 y/o into his arms before the impact. Both were unharmed. Luckily, the driver lost her paralysis within a week, after the swelling went down. I hope it taught her a lesson. But I've seen more crazy drivers of VWs than any other car. You guys can _have_ them.

About the only Mercenary's Benz I like is the 450SL, in silver.

That looks amazingly like the 3000, doesn't it?

They were one fast and sexy car, weren't they?
The fastest car I've been in was my buddy's 67 GTO. He went through a differential a month, so I got to ride in it with anywhere from 2.03 up to 4.56:1 gearing (389cid, three 2bbl carbs 'tripower'. Second fastest was my '70 AMC Javelin Mark Donohue Special (390cid, 450hp, 450ft/lb when I was done, Borg Warner close-ratio 4-spd tranny.)

I'll bet that wasn't the vapor deposited metal on plastic they use nowadays, either, was it? It was likely chrome/silver and gold.
Who the hell uses storks on emblems? The freaky Eyetalyuns?