OT: Borg rant

Page 2 of 3
Not in Oxnard, CA. I picked up some nursey items about 7AM and checker told me to go inside to wait in line as the register was closed. Pointing to the sign just got a pointy finger, thankfully it was toward the inside line instead of the sky.
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 16:13:09 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I recently remodeled my bathroom and went looking for a sink and faucet. Both HD and Lowe's had the Kohler items that I wanted at the same price. The only problem was that the hole spacing in the sink at HD would not fit the faucet they had and vice versa at Lowe's. Fortunately they are across the road from each other so I bought the sink at HD and the faucet at Lowe's. Peace ~ Sir Edgar

And now you know why they never seem to have what you need in stock - some dumbass decides that he's to important to wait in line and drops merchandise all over the store instead of acting like an adult and putting it back where he got it.

I have never understood why a retailer would expect people who want to give him money to stand in long lines. I have noticed that the poorer the neighborhood the store is in the fewer the checkers and the longer the lines.
rjs wrote:

Funny, I have never understood why a retailer should have 20 checkers standing around all day just in case they might get 20 customer at once.
And I really don't think they care that Doug made his $1.50 purchase elsewhere. They don't make money on that stuff...
--
************************************
Chris Merrill
Chris Merrill wrote:

Cant say that I have ever seen that happen before.

The employees probably dont but the store manager should. Those low dollar items almost always have a very high percentage of mark up.. That high gross profit adds up and pays the bills more so than a large item taking up floor space that has a very low percentage of mark up.
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 22:38:35 GMT, "Leon"

High percentage of MARK-UP? You mean after FINDING the damn thing?...lol...after Doug dropped it into a bin of EverReady batteries? lol
It'll be weeks or more before they even FIND it! Then it'll take one of the clerks a week or so to figure out what the hell it IS!
Then...he'll probably make up a new ticket for it...and put it in the 5" bolt drawer...so I can go buy it...and then bring it back...'cause its too damn short! lol
And it'll all be Doug's fault!! lol
Have a nice week...
Trent
Cat...the OTHER white meat!

You did read the *entire* post, didn't you? See the part near the end where I said I went back to HD to buy the bolt? I picked up the same one I set down.

I don't think they're ever gonna find it, 'cause it's in my workshop now.

Do you have a reading comprehension problem?
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 01:54:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I *WAS* trying to be facetious, Doug. Sorry you took it so seriously. But if ya wanna get serious for a moment...no, I didn't read where you said you went back and bought the bolt. Maybe I missed it.
I did read THIS, however...in your first post...

I don't recall reading where you actually DID go back. If I missed it, my apologies.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Cat...the OTHER white meat!
Trent wrote:

I didn't read it either. IIRC he said he was going back to HD to pick up the bolt, not that he did. I could have missed a later post, but probably didn't. Waiting at a checkout can be a royal PITA. I really hate it at grocery stores, banks, or waiting for the dentist, doctor, tires being put on my car/truck or any other place that doesn't seem to appreciate how important I am and how valuable my time is. When I go to real lumberyards, ACE hardware and Mom&Pop stores they don't always have everything I need and sometimes I have to stand in line. Life can be a real bitch. Hank (used to run so I could stand in line)

I absolutely agree.. I have no problem waiting for help but DO NOT make me wait to pay you money.
Dave, I wanted to ask you - you posted recently a tale of woe and mentioned that you go to a Despot further from home when you want a better experience. As another Bay Area denizen, I'd love to know which location is preferred....
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 01:59:25 +0000, Bay Area Dave wrote:

In San Jose: the new HD on Hillsdale, near Target, and the bit older one down on Capitol Expressway. There's a very nice HD on Saratoga Sunnyvale road, but too far for me to go. I just happened to be over there one day, so I popped in for a look-see.
dave
Buttonhole McGee wrote:

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 01:28:14 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

For hardware stuff like that I just head for the local farm supply place. They have it all, in a higher quality and at a better price than the borg does. On the other hand, the youngest checker in the store is about 45, so there isn't anything to stare at while you wait in line - and they do tend to have as much of a line as the borg.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in message

Doug,
I've said this before in this forum, HD may suck, but the alternatives aren't any better (in my area anyway).
I needed a 3' 3/8" threaded rod, a few 3/8" nuts, and 3 3/8" threaded inserts. As a bonus I would have liked to get a sleeve 2' long, plastic or brass to fit over the rod.
Based on past experience with HD, I figured that I would have to find everything myself, and I probably would not find it all, at least not all at the same store (there are 2 within 5 miles of my house). So at lunchtime today I headed over to the Sears Hardware about 3 miles from my place of employ. My last visit there I was impressed with the large number of hard to find fasteners and hardware that they stock. What they have "in-stock" is a little different: I found that over half the bins were actually empty. Also their selection of raw metal, rods, etc was very sparse. I could have got half of what I needed, but in a different size. I left empty handed.
On the way back to the office I stopped at a hardware store. This is a large hardware/lumber place with several locations in my area and a reputation for being pretty good. I found the threaded rod 30 seconds after walking through the door. I couldn't find the threaded inserts. The salesperson did not understand what a threaded insert was. Ok, maybe I wasn't using an industry standard term, but that's what I know them as. I described it to him. Blank stare. I finally found a blister pack of T-nuts. These would not do for me, but I showed them to him and explained that "they are *like* this, only they are threaded on the outside to screw into the wood, instead of using tacks or brads like the T-nuts." At this point another salesguy overheard this and said that they are down by the slide out boxes of hardware. Nope, just more T-nuts. I put the threaded rod back and left there empty handed too.
I am stopping at HD on the way home tonight to see if I can get everything in one shot. If I have to wait 15 minutes on line it will still be less than the time I spend this afternoon NOT getting what I was looking for.
-Chris
Chris wrote:

My local True Value hardware store stocks the inserts, maybe try one in your area. For the sleeve, could you use 3/8" I.D. plastic tubing? I know they sell it by the foot.
Scott
up later, the damage remains.
It used to be that anything beyond the most standard of hw, I would have to mail order. Then along came Hechinger and wow, they carried a fair amount of stuff more. But, they still didn't really cater to woodworkers or furniture builders so I still had to rely on mail order. Then along comes HD (and later Lowes expanded their hw stuff) and they got all these cool bins of fascinating hw, drawer slides, etc. For a while it looked pretty good. But, they don't really carry a wide range of things and are nowdays often out of stock on just the item one needs. Sure, for a quick pick me up I'll run out to the HD/Lowes. But usually for a project I'm building I still have to mail order what I need.
Seems like these folks have decided they'll only sell what sells the most and those odd items that aren't really in high demand, well, they're not going to have the expense of keeping that inventory. Least, it seems to be heading back that way - especially at HD.
Renata
On 22 Aug 2003 11:00:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@mybluelight.com (Chris) wrote:

unsuccessfully --

(no stain for email)
Doug Miller wrote:

For that sort of stuff, you are really much better off going to an actual hardware store like Ace or True Value.

HD/Menards, but in the opposite direction. What made the the difference for me that day was that we needed milk, too, and there's a grocery store on the way home from HD/Menards but not on the way home from Ace. I think it might have taken less time to make one stop at Ace, and then drive to the grocery. :-(