OT: Borg rant

Page 1 of 3
I needed just three items at the Borg today: one 1/4"-20 x 5" hex bolt, a 1/4" ID x 3/8" long nylon spacer, and about a dozen 1/8" x 1/2" aluminum pop rivets.
HD and Menards are almost next-door to each other, three miles from home. Lowes (my preference) is twice as far.
So I go to HD... find the bolt with no problem. Find the nylon spacers with no problem -- but none to be had in 3/8" length, of any diameter. No rivets to be found, anywhere on the fasteners aisle. Finally found an employee, who tells me they're in the tool department. Go over to tools. Steel rivets available in boxes of 15 or 50. Aluminum only in boxes of 50.
Head to the checkout with my twenty-two-cent bolt. Only two registers open, long lines at both, both cashiers waiting on price checks. GRRRRR.
Put the bolt down, head out the door, go to Menards.... where I find the spacer, and a package of 15 rivets, in a matter of moments... and then discover that the longest 1/4-20 bolt they sell is *four* inches, so I have to go back to HD for the stupid bolt anyway.
Man, I wish I'd just taken the time to drive the extra three miles to Lowe's.

Been there done that, now I always drive the extra miles to Lowes. Better to do that than have all the aggravation at HD.
--
Paul
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
Paul O. wrote:

I have a Lowes and HD almost next door to each other. I go to whichever one didn't cause me a problem on the last trip. I alternate on a fairly regular basis.
Rico
Came close to having a HD only forty miles away, but they couldn't reach an agreement with the land sellers.
They were going to build across from Menards.
Nearest is 150 miles, so please excuse me for not commiserating.

150 miles to a HD? Dam, in NJ you cant be more then 10 miles from at least one HD whereever you go. On my way to my parents house which is about 45 minutes away I pass at least 4 of them. Rich

pixelated:

I had 4 Borgs within 15 miles of me in LoCal but the closest one here is over 125 miles away. It was cheaper to order the Ryobi cordless drill/saw kit and ship it than to drive that distance. They're talking about opening one here in Grants Pass but the shitty council doesn't want them here. I have to go to Medford (25 miles each way) to get Lowes goodies because the Diamond Home Improvement Center (a super ACE, one of two) doesn't have nearly the variety and I end up going to 4 hardware-type stores and a pipe supply to get all I need at higher prices. I wouldn't mind a Borg here in town.
- Ever wonder what the speed of lightning would be if it didn't zigzag? - http://diversify.com Full Service Web Application Programming

============================================If you are like me..then you alternate every other trip....!
If I need 3 or more different items then I know before I hop in the truck that I will have to stop in both because neither of them will have all 3 ... That is a given !
Bob G.
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 01:28:14 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Sometimes I think the whole world is just in too much of a hurry. We don't take the time to smell the roses.
You probably should have just waited in line. Ya might've met a fellow woodworker...and maybe made a new, local friend.

Shuda bought the long bolt...and a nut. Took it home...put on the nut...cut it to length...back off the nut.

I checked with Lowe's for you. They didn't have ANY of that stuff. Ya done good! Now...feel better?! lol
Have a nice week...
Trent
Cat...the OTHER white meat!
patrick mitchel wrote:

Shhhh! That's supposed to be secret.
Rico

LOL Trent was using that "New" math... 20 x 5" = 100"...
(Doug Miller)

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 16:12:13 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

:)
Have a nice week...
Trent
Cat...the OTHER white meat!
What bothers me in addition to the long lines is when (grocery stores included) don't have open an express lane. If there are two lanes open, one should be express. It should be the Retailers Law!
On 21 Aug 2003 02:12:37 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (ToolMiser) wrote:

Isn't "express" spanish for "in training"? The only thing more irritating than being in the express lane with a catatonic checker is the woman ahead of me paying with a check from the Bank of Venus. <screech> "MANAGER, aisle 1..." </screech> I'm sticking with Homer Simpson on this one. There should always be a "single-guy" line.
"I've gotta 12-pack, here's a twenty. I don't need change. Seeya!"
Michael Baglio Chapel Hill <watch this space...>

People often confuse 'express' with 'fast'. As we've all been shown at one time or another, they are NOT the same. lol
Have a nice week...
Trent
Cat...the OTHER white meat!
(ToolMiser) wrote:

Retail Customer Rule #1: If there are twenty items on a rack, and 19 of them will scan at the correct price, please choose the twentieth one.
RC Rule #2: Do not look at the price on the shelf tag. It couldn't possibly be correct.
RC Rule # 3 Be sure to get angry at the cashier. It's more than likely her fault that the item won't scan.
RC Rule #4 --Be sure and call the store before coming in, to make sure we have all ten items you are coming in for, in several sizes and prices. The sales people have nothing to do but answer the telephone, and we aren't supposed to give our attention to the customers who actually bothered to drive to the store.
Yes, I work in retail. And I spend a hell of a lot of time either working as a back up cashier (instead of assisting the people still shopping) or answering the phone for a bunch of idiots who want me to be their personal shopper. And my feet hurt.
Dianne

Understandable complaints.
What I don't understand is why folks expect full-price service at low-service prices. There are places that will provide great service if you want to pay for it. If you want to pay the lowest possible price, expect clueless staff, stock problems and long waits.
Unfortunately, around here at least, many full service places are going out of business, since consumers have largely voted with their dollars to buy cheap. I'm not convinced that driving the price to minimum has been entirely good for us.
Mike

They're not angry at *you*, they're angry at the *store*.
Some people assume that the nearest employee (in this case the cashier) will pass complaints up the line to someone who can do something about them. In a well-managed business this would be a reasonable assumption. Unfortunately many employees have given up on their managers, so they don't bother.
It's the customers who *don't* complain that you should be worried about-- they'll buy from your competitors next time.
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 16:19:52 -0400, "Dianne & Greg"

And then there's the restocking...for folks who get tired of waiting...and just leave the item in the checkout lane!
You have my heartfelt sympathy, Dianne. I don't think a lot of people realize the guff folks like you hafta take...on a daily basis. They only see THEIR slowdown...when indeed there is one. They don't see the 95% of the time that things go smoothly and quickly.
Thanks for being there for us jerks! lol
Have a nice week...
Trent
Cat...the OTHER white meat!

Our HDs don't have self-pay lanes. Didn't think about the nursery, though. Thanks for the tip. I'll try it sometime.