OT - Borg clone

I hereby nominate Office Depot as Borg II :-).
I got the Sunday paper and saw that Office Depot had a CD writer on sale for $39.95. That was about as good as I could find a used one on Ebay, so I went down to get it.
I asked an employee to unlock the glass case and get one out. He asked if I was going to buy it. I said I wanted to check the specs first. He asked what equipment I had. I said a 233mhz Pentium running W95 (I was nice, I didn't even mention Linux). He said it won't run, it required W98 or better and most likely wouldn't even run on my hardware. I asked for one that would and he said all the new ones required the same. I said thank you and left.
For some reason I got curious today (Wednesday) and, thinking there must be something that would run on my setup, went to the Memorex site. There was a picture fo something that looked remarkably like the one at OD and minimum requirememts were a 166mhz Pentium and W95.
So I called OD and asked a different employee to check the model number on the Memorex they had on sale. He said they didn't have any, all they had were Maxell. I said BS, I've got your ad here in front of me from Sundays paper. He said that's last weeks ad. I said it's good till August 2nd. He said "Oh".
After giving him the stock number from the ad, he finally managed to look up the Memorex model number. You guessed it, the one I was looking at on the Memorex site :-).
I just got back from OD with my new CD writer. I explained all this to the manager and asked if they usually tried this hard to discourage sales. I did get the obligatory apology, but his expression never came out of coma mode. Oh, well.
And BTW, there was NO "Maxell" CD drive anywhere to be seen :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

OBTY ;~) 2 of those weapons of mass destruction were killed last week.

a little clorine in the gene pool will do wonders.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Digger
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:04:40 -0700, Larry Blanchard

Our Office Depots all went under about three years ago, for the reasons you outlined.
However, I have an Office Depot GLOAT!
Back when they were closing, the Garmin GPS III+ GPS sold for about $350. I was able to get (5) of them, sealed, NIB, for $99 each. I listed all five on eBay. The least that one of them went for was $290, most went for over $300 plus shipping. I made almost $1000 selling the five units on eBay!
Why an office supply store was selling GPS receivers is still beyond me.
Barry
It is a "techno-geek" store just like the other big name office supply BORGS. They all compete with the big Electronics BORGS (BEST BUY, Circuit city....) Besides a good traveling businessman can make good use of a GPS.
--
Young Carpenter

"Save a Tree, Build Furniture"
snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net says...

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 02:19:49 GMT, Leon wrote:

I'll second that 'huh?' and raise you a 'what the...?'
david
--
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have
of it.

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:04:40 -0700, Larry Blanchard

They're in the post, right next to all those cheques of course! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
On 31 Jul 2003, Gnube spake unto rec.woodworking:

As they said in The Onion this week:
"So, we've got Uday and Qusay. Now, how about the Eapons-way of Ass-may Estruction-day?"
http://www.theonion.com/onion3929/wdyt_3929.html
On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 13:44:36 GMT, Scott Cramer

That's a new one on me, may have to go there for a further read sometime. Thanks!
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Saddam's sons are dead.
Saddam is still at large. At least for a while. I don't think SH will have the longevity of ABL.
The Bathists (-? sp) are loosing ground and going to ground.
What will scare the crap out of us is if we find the suspected wmd's since so many countries thought they had Iraq bottled up.
Larry, I will stand you a resonably priced drink of your choice (I am not rich) if you will do the same if the WMD's are found. The wreck being judge of our ot voiced positions.
I'm not sure I want to win this though.
Wes