OT: Blessings

Page 2 of 2

Couple of deaths in this area recently. Girl was texting on her cell phone, another was doing over 100 mph on a two lane, another was doing 80+ when he hit a truck. Driver at 18 already had many moving violations.
Speed, alcohol, inattention keep coming up in the investigations.
Another case a few years ago was a couple of adults and the guy was killed. Both were thrown from the car Law suit from the family is trying to say she was driving and was liable. She had a defense though. She could not have been driving because she was giving him a BJ when he hit the tree. What a way to go.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

'Bout time to buy a lottery ticket for all of you. I'm real happy things worked out as they did.
--

Tanus

www.home.mycybernet.net/~waugh/shop/
No injuries = a good lesson. Give your daughter a big hug and tell her you love her. You can probably skip the yelling about the car. You could always be creative, and mount the seat belt on a nice wooden plaque for her birthday as a gift.

No injuries = a good lesson. Give your daughter a big hug and tell her you love her. You can probably skip the yelling about the car. You could always be creative, and mount the seat belt on a nice wooden plaque for her birthday as a gift.
Absolutely correct.

If he really was looking after --- the crash wouldn't have happened in the first place.
That said, I'm glad that no one suffered any real damage, and I hope your daughter grows up to be an outstanding woman.

Well sometimes we don't always understand why things happen. It happened for a reason as does every thing else.
Leon wrote:

Yep. Well said, Leon.
--

Tanus

www.home.mycybernet.net/~waugh/shop/

Excellent. Nothing teaches like a close call. It teaches safety and an appreciation for your brood.. a signal to enjoy them to the max while they are still with you.
I got a phone call at my office...15 years ago.. that my oldest was hit from behind by a car. She had been on her bicycle. The cop told me where it had happened so I had a bit of a feel that it wasn't minor. Cars go pretty fast under that overpass. That is ALL he would tell me. He told me what hospital she was in, and I quickly made a call to get some details. They wouldn't tell me either. That was the longest 25 minute drive of my life. I made a lot of promises to God, my kid and myself during that 25 minutes. I think I'm doing pretty good at keeping most of them. I caved on the beer thing.. I just wasn't thinking straight at the time.<G> A little bruised, a bump on the back of her head. She had been thrown over the car that hit her, but landed just right. I became a different dad that day.

Glad to hear everyone's OK.
My wife's 16 year old cousin + 1 were killed 4 weeks ago last night in a car crash.
Both kids were honor students who didn't drink or drug. Her cousin, the driver, wasn't a daredevil. He broke 'em off on me for flying and sea kayaking, because "that's dangerous!" <G> The kid's best friends were his dad and a priest. He was truly the last kid you'd ever expect to screw around, but he was still a 16 year old in a car.
Give your kid a hug and make sure she knows what could have been.

I believe that the "Great Woodworker" felt that there was a lesson to be learned. He was kind enough to let the young'ens walk away with a healthy new respect of what can happen.

Thanks for your replies and kind thoughts.
I went to the crash scene (even beat the cops and EMTs), and saw what happened. And I've had a chance to talk serioulsy with her today. Here's somethings I found out:
She wasn't speeding or screwing around, just driving 55 mph on a dead-straight, narrow, flat road surrounded by alfalfa and dormant tomato fields. There's a 4-6 inch drop off from the pavement to a soft shoulder, then the 4'-deep ditch. She doesn't like driving those narrow roads because people drive fast, there're a lot of BIG pickem-up trucks and farm equipment and other stuff. She was hugging the yellow line to avoid the shoulder. A big pick-up came from the other way, she moved to the right, just a tad too much, and the right front wheel caught the lip of the pavement. That was all it took.
In the scheme of Loss Prevention Systems, the root cause of this incident was "lack of skill or knowledge".

Sounds like she need more road time with dad.
I mentioned CT doing some different things. They already forbid 16 yo to have passengers and restrict night driving unless a parent is aboard. Talk is to raise the age to 17, but that will be a struggle. Hours behind the wheel is going to be increased also.
Mon, Feb 18, 2008, 7:32am (EST-3) zzyzx_ snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (ZzYzx) doth sayeth: Yesterday afternoon, my 16 yo daughter drove off a country road and rolled the Honda Accord <snip> The Great Woodworker was looking after my family yesterday.
It's not Great Woodworker, it's Woodworking Gods, and that's not their job. Two sons, been there, done that; so don't bother getting on my ass.
And, yeah, I read your other post. If she was that unsure of her driving on a road like that, she should have either been driving slower, or taken another route.
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.