OT: binary usegroup provider with web interface

I would like to be able to post to a binary newsgroup like abpw while I am on the road and connected through various proxies, vpns, hotel networks, etc. The only way I know to do this is with a web client. Do you have any experiences with newsgroup providers that have web interface and support posting to binary groups? I expect this will be a commercial answer and I am willing to pay for a subscription. I'm interested in recommendations based on experience, if possible.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

"Bob" wrote in news:1144695301.734351.238360 @t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

A newsserver that lets you _post_ by http might be hard to find. Most people interested in using their browsers are interested in looking at/downloading pictures, not uploading them.

You might try looking at Easynews and Newsguy. Newsguy I know has a web interface for posting, but I don't know if it handles binaries. Easynews has a web reader for binaries, but I don't know if it handles posting. Both companies are reasonably competent, at least.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Lurker here but I've been using Newsguy's web interface to read and occasionally post text and binaries for a few years with no problems. I have one of the cheaper accounts at $40 a year and would recommend them.

Lee

Reply to
LeeR

it's not www via browser operated, but if you go to

you'll find both a top rated news client (agent) and a top rated news service (agent premium news)... assuming you're on windows....

install both of those and you'll be set up to connect from about anywhere, I bet.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

In my travels, the only problem I ever had using a standard newsreader involved my corporation's VPN.

The answer? DON'T use the VPN while you access USENET. Boot up the computer, open a browser, and log on to the WAP

I've never seen a hotel, airport, subscription, or free public WAP that blocked news ports, or much else, for that matter. Heck, I've even used unsecured wireless ports while sitting outside a building in the car.

The VPN is usually provided to get you INSIDE a company network, on the private side of the firewalls. You only need it when accessing mail or shared drives (ex:// Exchange servers), and private intranet (vs. Int_e_rnet resources), and private instant messaging. Most any computer in the world should access the public internet pretty much by default.

Find a free access point close to home before you leave and give it a try!

Barry

Reply to
B A R R Y

OK, DUMB QUESTION, tolerance, please.

I read this thread and went to look at Forte as recommended and it looks like the Interface I have with Outlook Express

seem to be able to read and post from home using Outlook.

How is Forte different from Outlook Express?

Reply to
Gooey TARBALLS

Because there are (stupid) laws that criminalize that behavior, you should be very careful whose network you do that to.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Which law?

It's an unencrypted, unsecured, radio signal that travels to me, and I'm not using said signal to break laws, harrass people, impersonate someone else, etc...

For all I know, I'm receiving a public signal, just like the one my hometown Chamber of Commerce, small airports, coffee shops, libraries, universities, etc... freely make available.

I'm not busting your stones, I really would like to see a citation.

Thanks!

Reply to
B A R R Y

"Gooey TARBALLS" wrote in news:xOP_f.4998$wH1.3471 @trnddc03:

Supports yEnc encoding (useful if you want to do binaries), properly handles quoting and sigs in accordance with Usenet traditions, can't be misconfigured to post in HTML (as far as I know), has various features to make using newsgroups (as opposed to email) more convenient.

Mostly, tho, the advantage of Agent is that it's not subject to most of the security holes, viruses, etc, that target OE.

If you're willing to learn a different interface, XNews is a superior newsreader to Agent. But if you want to stick with an OE style interface, Agent is a pretty good reader.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Could it also be that even though the WAP owner may classify it as "unauthorized use", it is not specifically illegal because it is wireless and the emissions are being sent into public airwaves where they can be picked up if not encrypted to preclude use?

Witness the lack of laws regarding intercepting wireless signals from nanny cams and other wireless devices.

I am not saying that it is ethical ... just that a good case can be made that once these emissions leave your property you may really have no legal control over them.

WEP is too damn available and easy to implement to not protect any WAP, if you indeed want protection from "unauthorized use".

Reply to
Swingman

I could have sworn I asked about newsgroup services. This turned into another one of those never ending legal arguments among woodworkers - the world's worst shade-tree lawyers. I'm filing suit for message-thread theft using a WEP while shopping at Lowe's.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

You don't have a leg to stand on ... we'll countersue for posting off-topic to start with. ;)

Reply to
Swingman