OT-Bill Clinton

Page 2 of 3
On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 17:03:11 -0400, "J. Clarke"

I'm sure you're right. That's undoubtedly a major reason the US is so loved and respected throughout the Arab world.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Holy shit. Tom gets it.
Tom Veatch wrote:

The only thing that the US could do that would make it "loved and respected throughout the Arab world" is to nuke Israel into a radioactive desert. Since that's not going to happen, we have to settle for being feared.
"Scott Lurndal" wrote:

You simply consider the source and move on.
Lew
I loved the line in an article I read. It showed that Clinton reputation is alive and kicking.
It said, New York Post declared, "Bubba gets the chicks."
The other line I heard was, Slick Willie wasn't going to pass up the oppoertunity to save two asian chicks.
My concern is that this looks an awful like responding to state sponsored terrorism. And we have always had the policy of not negotiating with terrorists. Wanna bet that there are some terrorists getting some ideas about this?
"Lee Michaels" wrote:

Doubt it.
Sending "Slick Willie", one of the best to ever play the game on the world stage, to put a face on this operation, sends a message that Obama's people are operating at a whole different level than the rest of the players.
"Speak softly and carry a BIG stick" just took on a whole new meaning, IMHO.
Lew

I'm not sure one would class North Korea as a state sponsor of terrorism.
Which terrorists are being sponsored?
Certainly NK is in violation of several arms-control regimes, particularly with respect to Scud-derivitive missile and nuclear technology[*]. But I'm not aware of NK sponsoring terrorism, per se.
In anycase, dislike it as we might, KJI _is_ the government of North Korea and one should always attempt to talk with governments, even Iran. Dictating to a foreign government has never worked, Cuba has shown the futility of embargo as a tool for regime change and Bush Jr. has shown the futility of forced regime change.
scott
[*] Most of which came from AQ Khan and Pakistan, to whom we give foreign aid.
Scott Lurndal wrote:

We HAVE tried to talk to NK, from the agreements signed in 1994 by the Clinton administration to the failed Six Party talks of last year. By my count, we have had negotiations with NK seven times since 1990. It's obvious they won't talk.
No, the only thing left is to destroy their ratty government. A good time would have been when Clinton was in the capitol - all the state's high ranking factotums were in attendance. A low-yield nuke would have been appropriate.
Robatoy wrote:

Hmm. I don't think your stereotyping is particularly productive (nor accurate), and if things continue to proceed as they have been, I think we (the US) will have a credible and capable voice in Riyadh. The guy on this web page is my xBIL and I have considerable respect for his abilities (warning - split URL):
http://riyadh.usembassy.gov/policy/press-releases/president-obama -announces-intent-to-nominate-brigadier-general-james.-b.-smith-as -ambassador-to-kingdom-of-saudi-arabia

Probably not very much.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

There's always Jimmy Carter.
And the journalists aren't free yet (and may never be).
Aside: Dianne Feinstein has introduced a bill that would prohibit anyone convicted in a foreign court of a felony or the crime of domestic violence from owning a gun in the United States. This prohibition would apply, not only to the likes of Desmond Tutu, Lech Walensa, and others, but also to these two ladies.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/675806
I know you wanted him to fail, like your buddy Rush wanted all libs to fail......but better luck next time, eh?
"Robatoy" wrote:

fail......but better luck next time, eh?
Damn shame they keep getting a whuppin.
Times will change, it's just going to take a while.
Lew

The right has lost its way. They're just bitter, vindictive and in Rush's case, insane. I have listened to Rush...I think the Oxycontin has fried him beyond repair.
Robatoy wrote:

Bitter? Yes. And clinging to guns or religiion and expressing an antipathy to those that are not like them.
But that's normal.
Check out "Jane's Law." Jane's Law states: "The party IN power is arrogant; the party OUT of power is merely insane."

Well then, snuggle up to Jane, but please..PLEASE don't have any children.
Robatoy wrote:

Oh, we conservatives like kids. It's the progressives that are eating the seed corn.
Study up on the "Roe Effect."
In 1982, there were 64,553* reported abortions in Florida. It's fair to say that most of these abortions were not from conservative, pro-lifers. Come 2000, these aborted fetuses would have been voting for the first time. Some, of course, would have moved away, been incarcerated, or been killed in gang-related wars. Most would probably not vote, but those that did would probably follow the inclinations of their parents.
All that said, due to abortions in 1982, there were probably 10,000 votes in Florida the Democrats did not get.
Bush won Florida by 537 votes.
-------------------------- * http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/policy/abortion/usa/ab-usa-FL.html

"Sure he did." *pats HeyBub on the head*
<...snipped...>

A nice story but it was actually John Hay, the Sec of State, who made the 1st remark, and the accurate quote is "This government wants Perdicaris alive or Raisuli dead." And then Roosevelt backed down, quietly got France and England to pressure the ruler of Morocco to accept Raisuli's demands, after which Perdicaris was released. Roosevelt and Hay kept that part secret at the time, the facts not being made public til about 30 years later.

Larry W wrote:

So YOU say. I get my information from the authoritative movie quotes database: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073906/quotes
"RonB" wrote:

After his heart surgery, he has been very public about changes he has made to his diet as well as the resulting weight loss.
Lew