OT-Bill Clinton

Page 1 of 3
I just saw a couple of news article regarding Bill Clinton's role in getting the US journalists released from N. Korea (apparently he was successful).
Is it just me or has he aged considerably during the past several months? I thought he looked rather thin and gaunt.
RonB
I think he is just on his game so he has shed some pounds so he can play whilst Hillary is busy galvanting around the globe.
Also, I can just here his internal dialog on this "journalist" issue. "Hey, why leave two hot looking asian chicks all locked up in jail. I bet I can go get them out and maybe get a little sumtin in exchange."
Polictical comment: I guess the Obama administration didn't have anybody up to the job.

They did: Bill Clinton.
Ahh, the ol' 2-for-1 deal. Just like when Bill was pres we got Hillary for free, now Bill comes as part of the package.
Honestly, I had been surprised by Hillary during the campaign and thought maybe she had some chops. I also thought maybe she would shine in this current position. Unlike the do-nothing type job one has in the Senate which doesn't really show off ones weakness, in this current position she ain't gettin it done and it shows; and now she has to call in Billy to close the deal. Weak. I have the greatest respect for Bill (as a politician) but Hillary just lost a few notches in my ranking.

A great deal of her effectiveness is going to waste because she is female. Those white-robed fig-suckers in Saudi aren't going to pay attention to anything she says and that holds true in many parts of the world. " Don't need no lip from no biatch!"
I don't like Bill and never have, but he is good at certain things. I wonder what he was authorized to promise that Kim Jong Il.
I really shouldn't reply here on this subject and just let it go but I don't want anyone to think I could support such language. Frankly I find the comment about the Saudis, for whom I have no great love in general, quite distasteful and somewhat bigoted. I realize there are some Saudis who might say similar or worse things about Americans or maybe even just westerners in general, but you sir have just proven yourself to be the same.

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

It's not bigotry to recognize bigotry in others. The facts are that the Saudis regard women as something significantly less than men. Right or wrong, that is a fact. Likewise for many of the Saudi's co-religionists.
It is a huge mistake on the part of our country to have a female representing us in that part of the world.
And I felt the same way about Condi Rice (and to a lesser extent about Colin Powell).
As an aside, have you ever had a Middle-eastern fig? They're as big as an apple - and quite tasty.
I think calling someone a "white robed fig sucker" is not in any way recognizing the bigotry of others. It is just a racist slur, at best. I don't dispute that their backwards thinking in terms of basic human rights, specifically as it relates to women is diplorable, but that doesn't give anyone a freedom to degrade them.
Also, I think you are very backwards to think we shouldn't put a women in any position simply because she is a woman. We know that their feelings on this are wrong. Even better to put it in their face and show the proper respect to any intelligent human by picking whoever is best for a job regardless of gender.
You need to join the 21st century and stop thinking like those 12 century idealogs.
Now what is it that male chauvinists suck on, hmmmm...

Also, I think you are very backwards to think we shouldn't put a women in any position simply because she is a woman. We know that their feelings on this are wrong. Even better to put it in their face and show the proper respect to any intelligent human by picking whoever is best for a job regardless of gender.
=======Not to belabor this, but that is the underlying question. Is she really the best qualified person to forward our President's foreign policy? Or do you find room for just the slightest doubt that she was indeed selected on some other basis, such as internal politics and perhaps even her gender?
"Robatoy" wrote:

courtesy to communicate at the level of your host.
I have always maintained that the price of admission is to learn the language.
Expressed this idea to my auto mechanic, a man of Mexican extraction, indicating that there appears to be a lack of desire of the Mexican immigrants to learn our language.
Mechanic responded, "Lew you have to understand that for the most part, these people have had almost no formal education of any kind and are barely literate in Spanish."
Puts a whole different light on things.
Lew

Fair enough. BUT... don't brow-beat me when *I* don't speak Spanish. That's all I am saying.
"Robatoy" wrote:

That's all I am saying.
Ever since I escaped Mrs, Joss's Latin classes in high school, decided trying to learn a foreign language was something I'd let others do.
That policy is still in force.
Lew

You mean like your accusation that I called Hillary and all women seamstress(ses)?
You know you are starting to look pretty silly, don't you?

How about this then:
The facts are that the Republicans regard Democrats as something significantly less than Republicans.
is that also bigotry? If not, why?
Scott Lurndal wrote:

Sure. As I said, right or wrong, it is a fact. Now "bigotry" does not mean denial of facts; it means treating some others with hatred and intolerance. This is sometimes a Good Thing(TM), as in the dirty Japs of WW2.
Be that as it may, it is still counterproductive to send an emissary to negotiate when you know the other party will treat your representative with barely concealed contempt and disdain, take nothing they say seriously, and view your surrogate as an insult to them, their religion, and their way of life.
It may even be that the reason the Iranians won't negotiate is that they simply cannot negotiate with a woman! Doing so would be against their religion and 1500 years of tradition. That leaves them only one choice: continue to build a nuclear weapon.
So the Iranians work towards the bomb, Israel attacks, Iran counter-attacks, maybe millions die, and it's all the fault of Bush and Obama for having Secretaries of State who squat to pee.
Like the Trojans and the Greeks, another war over (a couple of) women. At least this war would have a reason better than some.

Somebody slap me. I am in complete agreement with what you just said.
Robatoy wrote:

Sometimes a progressive's gut reaction CAN be overcome by reality. In this case, we believe women are equal in all respects but liberals hold that to discriminate against a woman is simply evil. No truck will be given to any suggestion that there might be a case where it's appropriate.
Well, there obviously ARE cases and to not recognize them works to our detriment.
Another example that's pending: There are 615 Catholic hospitals in the U.S. (accounting for 1/8th of all community hospitals) that will have to decide whether to shut down if the pending health care legislation prevails. They will face this decision because of the mandates on abortion.
Whether one agrees or disagrees with a woman's right to choose, potentially loosing 12.5% of the nation's hospital capacity is an outstanding consideration.
"HeyBub" wrote:

The catholic church of Rome already has a problem with the catholic church of the USA.
Time to fish or cut bait.
Lew

Let's see now. I have to negotiate an agreement with a guy down the street who just happens to be the grand imperial wizard of the kkk. Of course I want to negotiate the best terms possible for me. I have two candidates that I can send to do the negotiation. One is an experienced, competent negotiator who is a White, Anglo-Saxon Protestant male. The other is the Rev. Jesse Jackson. To whom do I delegate the negotiations? Decisions, decisions!
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Tom Veatch wrote:

How about you send an experienced black negotiator who happens to be the head of the roughest street gang in town, and have him take his armed minions? Now the situation is more analogous to a negotiation by the US Secretary of State.