OT - Beware BORG Self Serv Checkouts w/ Molding (Moulding)

Page 2 of 2
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Guess it depends on who was there first, too. Lowe's has been here for years. HD is part of the latest round of sprawl. Further away, in a poorly-designed shopping center that was but recently a farm.
HD promised our Cub Scout pack they would do a tool demo thing. The person who set this up got sick. We showed up one night with a gaggle of Cub Scouts, and the hardware department manager pulled a tool demo out her butt at the last second. It was a good demo, and they spent some money. Gave away some stuff, and let the kids play with quite a striking variety of things. She asked me to come back and spend some money as a form of thanks.
Because of that, I shop at HD occasionally, but I really don't like the place. It's Just Like Lowe's, Only Orange, as I say. Same stuff, same manufacturers, same prices, but the layout is all screwed up, and I can't find anything, and I really hate the color orange.
I've been shopping at Lowe's for years. Just yesterday, after the fourth day in a row I had popped in to fuel the latest home improvement debacle, I told the cashier (the same cashier who had checked me out every other day) that we were going to have to stop meeting like this. We had a chat. At the end, he shook my hand.
I can't remember the last time a cashier shook my hand and meant it.
Besides, Lowe's is blue. Blue is good. Orange is bad.
Speaking of Sears, we used to have a fairly decent hardware store in our area called Sears Hardware. Then Sears bought Orchard and decided to try changing all the Sears Hardware stores to Orchard. Lucky us we were in the area they decided to test market this idea. Now I don't know what Orchard was like before Sears bought it, but when the stores reopened they were no longer hardware stores, but home decorating stores marketed toward people who have never been in a hardware store. Totally ruined the hardware image. From what I've read here, sounds like Sears ruined Orchard as well.
A lot of people complained to Sears. Had one friend that was so ticked off he talked to some VP of the company. Got a $100 gc to Sears. Where's the logic in that? After a few years of complaints, they decided the idea wasn't working and changed the store back to Sears Hardware. On the outside only.
Used to have really knowledgeable people at Sears Hardware, the grandfather type people who knew what they were talking about from experience. Now they have teenie boppers who try to shove the most expensive drill on you.
yobosaeyo wrote:

MSH wrote:

Excellent point. I have two things to add. First, MSH obviously hasn't used the self service checkout yet. Second, This concept is not ready for prime time. They are popping up all over. I was in BJ's and every other item, an attendant had to come over and the clear the equipment so one could proceed. What a royal PIA. This seems to the rule rather than the exception in talking with others. I'll stick to a human thank you. oops - thought of a third item. Three, MSH - this should teach you not to dissapear when you're attention is required. I always watch like a hawk since product information can easily be entered incorrectly into the computer. It's called human error. None of are perfect. Personally, tens of thousands of dollars later, I have no horror stories about any of the cashiers (typing pause to knock on wood). The people on the floor (if there actually are any - brain optional) is a different story! Mark from Pasadena, MD
Actually, I have used the self serve and liked it. Can't do that with sheet goods, need to use the lumber checkout. Try getting 500lbs(approx) on a flat cart to the middle of the front isle.
I've never had a cashier problem, this one had a bad attitude.
MH

With the service I get from a typical cashier, I'll gladly do it myself. I can care less if some of them keep their job, as they barely do it.
Rarities exist, but most cashiers really stink.
Barry
tnfkajs wrote:

How do those things work, anyway? I've seen them in other places, in other stores. Never around here. Never tried to use one.
Seems to me you're SOL if you don't have a credit card with which to pay. I'm not looking forward to the day when they become /de rigeur/ in these parts, because I never intend to have a plastic debt making machine again.
Do they have some facility for letting you pay with a check at least, or is it swipe the stripe or wait two hours for the one register that's manned by a human being? I notice in the places that have them that there are always 50 people standing in line for the human, while the electro-flummies sit there seeing only occasional use.
(I don't have an ATM or debit card either. My bank doesn't go in for all that new fangled nonsense. They also give me free checking and overdraft protection, with no minimum balance, so I'm not looking to change banks anytime soon.)

Hi,     I have not seen self serve checkout at a Home Depot, but our grocery store has it, and I use it most of the time. Only time I do not use it is if I have an odd item or by chance there is a longer wait at the self-checkers. I have been doing this for about a year and never had any real problems. Not only are the line almost always shorter on the self-checkout but the type of customers that usually stalls a grocery store line, are not the type willing to use the self-checkout.
    The technology is interesting. You scan the item and put it onto a bag. The bag holder is a scale and the weight of every item is known, probably from the supplier. There is one person for the four self checkouts so problems usually are resolved quickly, I know they take credit cards, debt cards, change, cash, and I think checks. The employee does check my signature against my credit card. ( I pay off my cards every month.)
    If the local Home Depot had one, I would use it. But I am type that as I pick it up, I checks to see each item has a bar code. Or if necessary, I will write down the UPS code. I try to organize big items so that the clerk can get to the bar codes easily. Next time you are standing in line, listen, and you will hear lots of problems caused by stupid, lazy, or arrogant customers. The clerks take a lot of grief, and if I can do a bit to help them ( and my fellow customers, who are behind me, I do. I will admit to not usually needing or wanting much help, but when I do need help I have always gotten it, quickly and graciously.)
Thanks Roger Haar
On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 10:55:18 -0400, Silvan

The Borg here has a human cashier who supervises the 4 self-check stands. I've seen people pay with cash or check on the self-serve lines before, but it is much easier with plastic.
In a grocery store the self-check idea seems to work OK since virtually everything is pre-packaged and bar-coded. In something like the Borg you still need a lot of live human cashiers because there is so much stuff that has to be measured or otherwise evaluated by a human. If they cut the live check-out people too much the self-check aisles actually turn into a slow down because of the backup for the live checkers.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
what an odd comment about "newfangled" ATM cards!
I bank with B of A and I have an ATM card AND free checking, PLUS a free safe deposit box... You need to check around, dude.
dave
Silvan wrote:

Actually, that makes sense when you consider that most people have a hard time counting stuff without having to measure it. Our H-D has a sign "small items only" over the self-checkout lines.
I did learn something the other day when I tried to use one (for the first time). I only had a bag of grass seed and a can of wasp spray, so I thought it would be pretty fast, since there were only a couple people waiting at self-checkout and about 500 in line at the 3 open check stands.
I went through and it kept telling me that there was an "unexpected item in the bagging area". The attendant came over and cleared it then explained that the bagging area is a scale and the sale weight of each item is in the computer. If the weight on the scale doesn't match the total of the items you get that warning and the clerk has to check it. What puzzles me is that it was the bag of grass seed that triggered it. Let's see, a 5 pound bag of grass seed and the weight in the computer is wrong? Maybe something around 5 pounds would work, ya' think?
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

Everything in every store, not just home centers, has to be shipped to the store. Some items may hit one or more wholesalers while travel ling from factory to retail. Whoever is shipping it knows exactly what each item weighs. Think of a large grocery store, the ones that also carry hard goods, clothing and other things. They may have even more different items than a BORG, some with daily changes. <G>
Barry
maybe the bag was underweight. See, Tim, a new consumer tool at your disposal: maybe Weights and Measures should come out to calibrate the HD self service check out scales. <g>
dave