OT - Beware BORG Self Serv Checkouts w/ Molding (Moulding)

It was a hot day here in the Mountains and, for once, I didn't feel rushed. I decided to pick up 12 feet of inexpensive pine corner bead and work my way to the front of the store.

As expected - 11 of the 12 checkouts were unmanned, err - un-personed. But our HD is replete with four brand-spanking-new high-tech Self Service Checkouts all designed to speed the process and make your shopping an enjoyable experience!

Well - molding (moulding) is sold by the foot and the machines will not trust you to key in the length. So, you'll be forced to queue on the attendant.

Reply to
tnfkajs

Our self serve lines have one attendant for each four pack of registers. I've NEVER waited more than 10 seconds for the attendant to help when needed.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Wait until the other three self serve machines are being used by technological ID Ten Tee's. ;)

Wes

Reply to
clutch

And that's precisely what happened in this case. Register 3 was offline. Register 1 was serving someone who also needed attendant intervention. I was on Register 2 and the eldery folks on Register 4 were having a devil of a time. The attendent, understandably so, was occupied on 4.

My wait was about 2 minutes. Again - it was a slow day, so no big deal.

My point was it was a learning experience for me: I wondered if the machine would ask me for the footage. It didn't. Now I know.

Reply to
tnfkajs

Actually, that makes sense when you consider that most people have a hard time counting stuff without having to measure it. Our H-D has a sign "small items only" over the self-checkout lines.

I did learn something the other day when I tried to use one (for the first time). I only had a bag of grass seed and a can of wasp spray, so I thought it would be pretty fast, since there were only a couple people waiting at self-checkout and about 500 in line at the 3 open check stands.

I went through and it kept telling me that there was an "unexpected item in the bagging area". The attendant came over and cleared it then explained that the bagging area is a scale and the sale weight of each item is in the computer. If the weight on the scale doesn't match the total of the items you get that warning and the clerk has to check it. What puzzles me is that it was the bag of grass seed that triggered it. Let's see, a 5 pound bag of grass seed and the weight in the computer is wrong? Maybe something around 5 pounds would work, ya' think?

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

I won't use them. I look at it this way. The cashier gets paid to wait on me. If they want me to wait on myself, they should give me a discount for the money they save on the cashier not doing it.

Jack

My e-mail address is real. Feel free to use it. I know how to delete spam.

Reply to
Jack Forbes

they do. it's called cheaper prices.

Reply to
Charlie Spitzer

Everything in every store, not just home centers, has to be shipped to the store. Some items may hit one or more wholesalers while travel ling from factory to retail. Whoever is shipping it knows exactly what each item weighs. Think of a large grocery store, the ones that also carry hard goods, clothing and other things. They may have even more different items than a BORG, some with daily changes.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

"Charlie Spitzer" wrote in news:bg97gt $gs3$ snipped-for-privacy@transfer.stratus.com:

I haven't noticed the prices go down since they went to part time help and self service checkouts.

Reply to
timonjkl

ah, but have the prices gone up as fast as they would have? also, if there are more places to check out, then you check out faster. how much is your time worth?

Reply to
Philip Edward Lewis

perhaps they just didn't go up as fast as they would have?

Reply to
Charlie Spitzer

Self serve is a way for them to reduce complaints about the abysmal quality of their clerks. Last night GF and I bought 2 sheets 1/2" green board, 2 sheets 5/8 greenboard, 4 sheets Durarock, 1 sheet 3/8" plywood and some screws. I told her to beware of him charging us for 4 sheets of 5/8 greenboard while I went to the tool corral and drool. Sure enough, he charged for 4 sheets of 5/8". She didn't notice till it was charged. She was told to walk all the way to the other end of the store to get her credit back. I come back and while she's gone, the clerk decides to call more customers over. There had been no words up to that poiint. I wheel the heavy cart towwards the dooor to get the cart out of the way of the other paying customers and the clerk tells me in no uncertain terms that I shouldn't dare go through that door because she hasn't yet paid for 2 sheets of 1/2 inch. Sorely tempted to tell him to go do something to himself, I instead remind him that he made the mistake here and she had indeed paid too much money already for what we had on that cart, but fine, I leave the cart in everybodies way because there is no other place without crossing the magical outside line. As GF finally comes back, he walks off, right by her, down an isle and disapears without a word. Went on break, the clerk next to him says. So, GF goes to that clerk and trys to get help in now paying for the 2 sheets of 1/2. By this time I say screw em and take the sheets outside to load. The second clerk is not interested and tells GF to go stand in line. Christ. Little wonder HD has inventory problems because they now have 2 sheets of 1/2" greenboard unaccounted for. GF is now firmly convinced her time is better spent dring 30 miles further to the new Lowes. To hell with HD.

MH "Charlie Spitzer" wrote in message news:bgbf9d$omm$ snipped-for-privacy@transfer.stratus.com...

Reply to
MSH

I gotta agree with you about HD's customer service (or lack thereof) attitude. I've been going to HD since it opened in San Jose. One of them is 4 blocks from my house, so I'm in there all the time. But when I can't find anyone to help me, driving about 35 -40 miles to Lowe's (brand new) in Gilroy is VERY tempting. I've been to it once, and was very impressed with how much more stuff they had. Whether or not their customer service is any better remains to be seen. I doubt it could be any worse than the local HD. When I asked for someone to cut a piece of molding, the nearest employee lamented that they are short staffed. No wonder I feel like I've hit the lottery if I get someone to help me when I'm having trouble locating an item, or when I need something cut.

dave

MSH wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

One time I was in HD and saw a couple of "associates" standing around in front of the tool corral. One of them had helped me find something earlier in my visit, so I was pretty happy with them. Then a manager type walked by and told them to stop hanging around in the aisles and find some way to look busy. Well, I went up one side of him and down the other, explaining that I, as a customer, WANTED them to hang around in the aisles, so that I could find them when I needed help, and if he forced them to do busy-work just to "look good", it would only piss me off.

When I left they were still standing there ;-)

Reply to
DJ Delorie

can't comment on the price question, but thus far, I have not seen any speed-up in being able to check out with self-serve. Problem is that the self-serve doesn't handle long items well at all, since when I go to HD, I'm usually getting at least one thing that is long, I don't get to use self-serve.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

How do those things work, anyway? I've seen them in other places, in other stores. Never around here. Never tried to use one.

Seems to me you're SOL if you don't have a credit card with which to pay. I'm not looking forward to the day when they become /de rigeur/ in these parts, because I never intend to have a plastic debt making machine again.

Do they have some facility for letting you pay with a check at least, or is it swipe the stripe or wait two hours for the one register that's manned by a human being? I notice in the places that have them that there are always

50 people standing in line for the human, while the electro-flummies sit there seeing only occasional use.

(I don't have an ATM or debit card either. My bank doesn't go in for all that new fangled nonsense. They also give me free checking and overdraft protection, with no minimum balance, so I'm not looking to change banks anytime soon.)

Reply to
Silvan

yes, but you then have to queue for the attendant to take your check, same as if you're paying with that funny green paper.

Reply to
Charlie Spitzer

Hi, I have not seen self serve checkout at a Home Depot, but our grocery store has it, and I use it most of the time. Only time I do not use it is if I have an odd item or by chance there is a longer wait at the self-checkers. I have been doing this for about a year and never had any real problems. Not only are the line almost always shorter on the self-checkout but the type of customers that usually stalls a grocery store line, are not the type willing to use the self-checkout.

The technology is interesting. You scan the item and put it onto a bag. The bag holder is a scale and the weight of every item is known, probably from the supplier. There is one person for the four self checkouts so problems usually are resolved quickly, I know they take credit cards, debt cards, change, cash, and I think checks. The employee does check my signature against my credit card. ( I pay off my cards every month.)

If the local Home Depot had one, I would use it. But I am type that as I pick it up, I checks to see each item has a bar code. Or if necessary, I will write down the UPS code. I try to organize big items so that the clerk can get to the bar codes easily. Next time you are standing in line, listen, and you will hear lots of problems caused by stupid, lazy, or arrogant customers. The clerks take a lot of grief, and if I can do a bit to help them ( and my fellow customers, who are behind me, I do. I will admit to not usually needing or wanting much help, but when I do need help I have always gotten it, quickly and graciously.)

Thanks Roger Haar

Reply to
Roger Haar

The Borg here has a human cashier who supervises the 4 self-check stands. I've seen people pay with cash or check on the self-serve lines before, but it is much easier with plastic.

In a grocery store the self-check idea seems to work OK since virtually everything is pre-packaged and bar-coded. In something like the Borg you still need a lot of live human cashiers because there is so much stuff that has to be measured or otherwise evaluated by a human. If they cut the live check-out people too much the self-check aisles actually turn into a slow down because of the backup for the live checkers.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

A lot of retail places could learn from Wal-Mart -- but not from the local one here.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass