OT: Best Newsreader - Something Better than OE

I have searched but came to no consensus. What is the *best* newsreader.
Dave

First, the answer to the second part of your subject line: Any of them <g>
As to "best", there is none. Or more accurately, there are lots, based on subjective evaluation of what best meets various peoples' needs. I really like Agent (version 1.93, before they started "improving" it). Others who download a lot of binaries may find another newsreader "best", and others who like interfaces that are largely mouse-based would like still others.
If you do primarily text groups and like a keyboard based interface, try forte agent. It can be controlled by mouse, but others are slicker if that is your want. And it is fully capable of handling binaries, it's just that some others may have some advanced features if that is all you do.

Teamcasa wrote:

Seamonkey is good. It is the successor to Netscape.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I thought the home for thunderbird is http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird /
But in any case, I just gave up on it for reading newsgroups: it doesn't appear to have enough capabilities for filtering based on headers, and I didn't see anything descriptive of similar in the extensions.
If I had more time, I might have tried to write or adapt one...
er
--
email not valid

It is. I think the cite above is to the prior poster's site about TBird.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Anders, I am a Tbird user for mail, and really like it. I haven't tried it for newsgroups, but am very skeptical--I've never seen a client for mail or newsgroups that does more than a marginally adequate job in the other domain.
BTW, while I like tbird, their first crack at protection from phishing is very lame. Incredible that they would put it in with no way to "learn" or explicitly whitelist sites that should NOT trigger a phishing warning. Eudora has had a MUCH better system for a couple of years.

On Wed, 17 May 2006 23:11:19 -0700, andersir wrote
I use both Windows and Linux and it is hard to beat the PAN newsreader for Linux.
I am way saddened that it is not available for Windows.
Bill
On Thu, 18 May 2006 23:10:12 -0000, W Canaday wrote:

It will probably build & run under Cygwin.
--
Art

My vote would be for Agent, or at least Free Agent, Dave... ($30 to register and worth it)
I've been using it for several years while testing others including outhouse and outhouse express and just can't find anything that I like as much..
Some folks don't like it because all it does IS newsgroups, but that's one of the things that I really like about it.. YMWV
http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php
I notice that the new version also does email, but I'll pass on that... being an ol' fart, I have a dedicated email program and ain't changin'.. *g* Mac

It has done mail for a long time, but I think it does as half-assed a job at mail as the mail clients do trying to be newsreaders. The functionality of mail reading/writing and newsgroup reading/writing is similar enough that either type of client can be extended to do the other job adequately--witness all the OE users on usenet. But there are enough differences that neither does the other well. Like you, I prefer a separate client for each, but maybe that's just because I'm
Another ol' fart

On Tue, 16 May 2006 11:27:35 -0700, Teamcasa said...

Hi Dave,
I'm a little late to the thread, but if you're looking for a good Windows based newsreader I'd recommend Xnews. It's free, and works well with both text and binary newsgroups.
Not sure what you're account situation is with Usenet.com, but I found them to be a bit overpriced. Switched over to Newsguy.com several months ago and have been happy with them. You can access with a newsreader or their web interface, and their prices were much better...
Usenet.com 2 GB / $4.95 Month 20 GB / $14.95 Month 30 GB / $19.95 Month
Newsguy.com 3 GB / $5.95 Month 30 GB / $9.95 Month Unlimited / $19.95 Month
They have a free trial that may be worth a look.

I've been using Newsguy for at least 7 years (before they were Newsguy) and have found them very reliable and they keep adding groups and improving their retention time. They also do a lot of little promotional special things for subscribers like unlimited download days. -- "We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com