OT: best legislative bill title EVER!

Page 3 of 5

Pre-Chernobyl, apparently, but that reminds me of one of *my* favorite bumper stickers:
"Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun"
--
Regards,
On Feb 1, 5:46 pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

goes with the CANDU format. Even the Chernobyl type of reators are reliable and safe. The accident there was a poorly thought-out test procedure and not indicitive of the rest of their well-proven systems. (Trying to catch station service off a spinning-down off-line generator?)
It is a typical hook the tree-huggers hang their hats on. Coal is no good either, you can't dam water, and if you put up windmills, you end up knocking spotted owls out of the sky.
Everybody has a fricking agenda.
There is a fabulous paper called The Health Hazard Of Not Going Nuclear by Petr Beckmann (sp?) It was part of my studies and was a motivator for my oldest daughter who is an operator at Darlington Nuclear ( 4 x 850 MW) to get into the field. This station is a work of engineering art. http://www.opg.com/power/nuclear/darlington / So, yes, Mr. Miller, I agree with you.
PS. This will have to do till we get fusion ironed out.
Robatoy wrote:
| PS. This will have to do till we get fusion ironed out.
Fusion has been working fine for me! <vbg>
-- Morris Dovey DeSoto Solar DeSoto, Iowa USA http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/collectors.html

I remember my dad telling me that when he was a kid (late 1930s), any time he rode his bicycle around the neighborhood he'd wind up with soot all over his forehead from all the coal furnaces. The air is much cleaner now than it was then.

I'll have a look at that -- thanks.

--
Regards,

Pittsburg, or someplace like that in the rust belt?
-- Mark
Mark Jerde wrote:
> Pittsburg, or someplace like that in the rust belt?
Actually it is Pittsburgh, but NBD.
As far as dirty air is concerned, have been told the the air in Los Angeles during the early 1900's was worse than it is today.
Not nearly as many people, but back then, open burning of refuse by individuals was quite common along with heating and cooking stoves, smudge pots, etc.
Lets face it.
Man is the only animal on the planet that mucks up his own nest.
Lew

Perhaps, but the fact my dog wants to eat what he threw up yesterday deserves a mention. ;-)
-- Mark

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again.
--
FF

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 18:30:51 GMT, Lew Hodgett

Never raised a puppy, I take it? :)

Just add the qualifier "in adulthood" to the statement, and I think it remains valid.
--
Regards,
On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 05:51:19 -0600, Prometheus

I keep seeing these "man is the only animal that . . ." and in almost every instance it turns out that man is _not_ the only animal that does whatever.

Man is the only animal that posts to UseNet.
--
FF

Are you sure?

Hmm, maybe not.
http://www.cartoonbank.com/assets/1/22230_m.gif
--
FF

:)

CW wrote:

;-) Glen
J. Clarke wrote:

Man is the only animal that uses Usenet and the only one dumb enough to confuse the opinions uttered here for fact beyond dispute. ;-)
(We're well over the 10,000 monkey mark and STILL nothing the likes of "Othello".)
rascal less in the world.

I am recalling a graduate zoology class I took, Mammology. In the class, there was a young woman in her mid twenties who was quite an animal lover, moreso than I, although I must admit to liking the buggers. She said something to the professor about how humans should behave more like animals. When he asked in what way, she said that humans are the only animals that hunt for pleasure, and don't necessarily eat their prey, and said that animals are more "pure of heart" and not intentionally cruel. He replied, "Not true - ever seen a cat with a mouse?".
There is this idealization of animals that goes on. Having grown up as something of an animal lover myself, I can understand it, at least on the part of kids, and even young adults (who I still consider to be kids). I still am an animal lover, but I realize that statements like "Animals are pure of heart and loving, etc.", or "Man is the only animal on the planet that mucks up his own nest" are just idealizations for emotional reasons. Unfortunately, they cloud reasoned debate. Anything done based upon emotions should first be based upon logic, reason, true facts and real statistics.
Man is hardly the only animal to muck up his own nest. Certainly, we have the capacity to make a bigger mess, but we really are also more capable of cleaning our mess, and of altruism.

Northern Indiana.
--
Regards,
On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 20:57:59 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Yes coming around the bend of Lake Michigan from Chitown, on a foggy still summer evening, the smell that permeated everything.
Mark http://home.mchsi.com/~xphome /