OT: Best birfday gift EVAR!

Angela bought me two tickets to a concert for my birfday, a month ago.

Sunday night we went to see Leonard Cohen in London. ON.

I have attended many concerts in my life, this one knocked the wind out of me. Cohen has always been working on something while there were significant things happening in my life, at the same time. His playlist was like a set of bookmarks of what I was doing, where and when. Just a smorgasbord of emotions. The seats and the sound were first class. Just fantastic.

Why mention that here? because we have many music lovers in this group, and sometimes music threads can be cathartic.

Reply to
Robatoy

I'm going to my first concert in ages this September... U2. I'm a bit worried that I'm old enough to need ear plugs now. :)

Hopefully, the sound level in the stadium will be acceptable and the quality is excellent (fat chance on both).

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Site:
Joe AutoDrill

"Robatoy" wrote

There ya go Robatoy, Gettin' all political and everything.

This is the part where I am suppossed to whine and complain that you posted off topic in a woodworking forum. But I have too much style and class for that sort of thing. So I won't.

Carry on. ;-)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Cohen is quite simply a god. BTW, Suck Master General, please keep your gloats confined to wooddorking in this newsgroup.

RicodJour

I was once late to an important gig because I simply could not pull myself away from one of his ACL appearances.

The man, and his music, simply defies description. Did he have the chick backup vocals?

Reply to
Swingman

We paid scalpers prices to see him in Chicago a few weeks ago. Magnificent. There's a CD of the London concert now available that mirrors the show we attended. Heading back to Chi for Jersey Boys this week.

Larry

Robatoy wrote:

Reply to
TD Driver

Ya kidding me? Cohen without chicks? LOL. Beside Sharon, his collaborator, he had the Webb sisters.

hot, hot. Dirty old basterd... (I say this with utmost respect.)

In the beginning of the show, the two Webb sisters took off their jackets and did a cartwheel. Cohen then said: "Just in case anybody thought they could just sing."

Reply to
Robatoy

He did the same playset as Chicago, except instead of Democracy, he did Closing Time.

Reply to
Robatoy

Lee, ol' chap...bite me. *G*

Reply to
Robatoy

Never heard of him. Let me guess, elevator music.

Reply to
CW

Nay - elevating music.

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

Nice!

Reply to
Robatoy

I see I'm not alone, but my vote goes to Lock-N-Lool.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

A bit of Leonard Cohen trivia, gleaned from a half hour interview Terry Gross (sp?) did with him on her NPR show Fresh Air. He was a Zen monk, in a Zen monastary - in Berzerkely - for four or five years. He left when he realized he was "just too old for the daily Zen monk routine".

Sometimes, IF we have the chance to get older, we get wiser. Leaonard Cohen - and James Taylor are good examples of this phenomenon. Ozzy of course it the exception that proves the rule, as is Keith Richards. Then there's Ringo, who decided being a kid was a hell of a lot of fun

- and decided to stay a kid.

Reply to
charlieb

That's only half of the story. It seems that the Zen monks started idolizing Leonard because he defines cool and women toss themselves at him crotch first. There was humming going on during meditation. Hot chicks started turning up at the monastery, and, well, those robes don't exactly "house the boys" as Kramer would say on Seinfeld. The monks started wearing sunglasses at night and were trying to get a place at the Chelsea in NYC. This could not continue.

The head monk realized that he was no match for Leonard in a Zen-cool showdown, even with his decades of training, so he couldn't challenge him. As usual, Leonard was the sharpest tool in the box and gave the head monk an easy out - "I'll tell them I'm too old to cut it." Leonard smiled, the head monk was laughing so hard he pissed himself, and the rest is musical history.

RicodJour

Didn't see the concert but he was wandering up and down Dundas Street Sunday afternoon.

Reply to
phorbin

"because he's touched your perfect body with his mind..."

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

I am jealous. Glad to hear you had a good time!

Reply to
sandpounder

Reply to
Robatoy

On 5/26/2009 7:16 AM Robatoy spake thus:

Not a Cohen fan here (though I can see why others would be); just thinking of those words since you mentioned "Democracy":

Democracy is coming To the U.S.A.

Quite a concept, eh?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl