OT: Bedbugs

From research, they're pretty much everywhere again after the falsified data resulted in the ban on DDT. But the little bastids is here. In my house.

Looks like the cost of treatment and replacing one bed set, and sealing two more is going to run between $1500 and $2000.

The exterminator guy (Orkin) who came to for the inspection today said that 90% of his work here in Saskatoon is bedbugs.

I want my,

I want my,

I want my DDT...

Bedbugs don't spread disease, and aren't present as a result of filth... They just eat us.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

They (the little bastids), are you referring to the bedbugs or the looney fringe?

LdB

Reply to
LdB

On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 18:31:23 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone scrawled the following:

Do they allow DDT in Canuckistan, Dave? Cool! They used to here, too, until Rachel Carson, that knowledgeless bitch, wrote her book.

-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The DDT does some harm to the eagle eggs, or something like that. For the most part you need a professional that has access to the chemical needed, the same ingrediant used in flea collers. Bedbugs can live for months without any food. You'll see their bloody poop dots on a white bed sheet.

Now I lay me down to sleep While all around me bedbugs creep If they bite before I wake I pray to God their jaws will break

Reply to
Phisherman

No, the lying bitch screwed things up here too.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Nope. That was totally disproved by followup studies after Carson faked her data and made everybody think the sky was falling.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Meanwhile, millions, literally millions, died from Malaria.

Reply to
HeyBub

I want to say Termindor which is also the most widely used (and effective) termiticide in several countries.

Reply to
Dave In Texas

According to the envirowakos, it's preferable that people die rather than possibly hurt the environment. Some of them even propose that biological agents be used to kill off half the planets population "for the good of the planet". Not them, of course. Other people.

Reply to
CW

On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 12:10:46 -0600, the infamous LdB scrawled the following:

We've _always_ know about the latter there.

-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Not that it helps you, but irradiation would have been another (politically incorrect) solution:

Denis G.

... and continue to die from malaria due to this policy. But that's OK, it's in third world countries. (Yes, that last sentence was extreme sarcasm)

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

"Denis G." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@a15g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

I'm all in favor of irradiation of inanimate objects to sterilize them and get rid of the bugs. However, I'm not sure I could wrap my brain around something sitting in my bedroom irradiating my sheets and mattress. Shielding would be a problem. My home isn't uilt for tons of lead in the upstairs bedroom

Reply to
Han

Han wrote in news:Xns9CF941C3E8AB5ikkezelf@

216.151.153.168:

Wouldn't good 'ol heat do the job? Based on what I've seen the "experts" talk about on TV, it looks like 150-170F is warm enough to kill most bugs and bacteria. That might be above the melting point of some plastics, though.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

From my research, 120F may do the trick, and is used in some cases. It's seriously impractical in an 1100 sq. ft bungalow in a Saskatchewan winter, however.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

On 07 Jan 2010 12:06:30 GMT, the infamous Puckdropper scrawled the following:

Somehow, I don't think the average, run-of-the-mill electric blanket is going to handle this particular job, Pucky.

-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 07:09:15 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone scrawled the following:

Remember that whatever method you use, use it globally in the house. Bedbugs run from room to room to escape other methods. I read about that on the Internet and have never seen the li'l bastids, meself. I soitenly hope I never do, either!

-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yep, whole house. Residual pesticide along the baseboards, repeated in two weeks to catch hatchlings.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Balderdash should just get some effing DDT. It's not banned for bedbugs.

Reply to
J. Clarke

It is totally banned in Canada. No allowed use or sale.

"Pest Control Products Acts - In Canada, pesticides are regulated under the Pest Control Products Act and Regulations. Registration of all uses of DDT were suspended in 1985 with the understanding that existing stock would be sold, used or disposed of by the next registration date of December 31, 1990. Since this date, the sale or use of DDT in Canada has represented a violation of the Pest Control Products Act."

Reply to
Dave Balderstone