OT - Basic Skills in Today's World

Page 9 of 13

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Like anything the more one does something the easier it gets. Changing the oil is the same way.
I live about 7 miles to any commercial establishments, although there is a garage about three miles away. But it is on the fringe of a residential area and there are no other businesses within easy walking distance. So for me to take my truck somewhere to get the oil changed is a royal PITA. Also note that I have a truck. Way easier than changing the oil on a car. Lots more room all around the engine. So to change the oil, I pull out a couple of ramps and drive the front wheels on them. That really gives lots of room to get under with a creeper. I have an old stainless steel container that the oil drains into. I have the right size oil filter wrench and a funnel to drain the oil from the stainless container back into the now empty oil bottles. So I can change the oil in about the same time as a garage can. Don't save much money, but do save the time to drive somewhere and back.
If I had a Buick, I would take it somewhere.
I do grow some veggies, and cut firewood to heat the house and shop. In the PNW it is hard to compete with commercial hydroelectric power.
Dan Bainbridge Island, Wa.

My Daughter is at College away from home and has a car of mine. I remind her every few months to change the oil and have the fluids looked at. She even has a credit card of mine to cover maintenance. I have told her many times that the Jiffy Lube guys sometimes are not all that smart, but they often get things right... Daughters boyfriend decided that he could do it better, so he climbed under the car, drained into a gallon milk container with a small funnel (spilled all over the street), cleaned up with kitty litter, and added 4 quarts of oil (no filter change). Daughter called me a half hour later and told me the car starts and the engine runs well, but the car won't move. I had her verbally repeat the maintenance efforts boyfriend attempted. You guessed it... he drained the automatic transmission.
Boyfriend thinks it is better for me to call him by his current nickname "Dipstick" than the other one "dips&%t"
Jack
jack wrote:

Could call that a failure of parenting. But quite often, it's failure of the kid's brain. No experience with daughters, but one son was enough.

Robert Heinlen I beleive.

digitalmaster wrote:

I beleive so. Part of a long winded rant about all the things a person should be able to do or at least be willing to try, given the opportunity.
Cheers Trevor Jones
Trevor Jones wrote:

Someone thought rather a lot of that 'rant' http://specializationisforinsects.com / Joe

Not true.specialized equipment helps troubleshoot some problems.You can still change plugs,wires,air filter,brakes.oil,transmission filter,etc. without "a lot of specialized tools."

On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 18:15:26 -0400, "digitalmaster"

Well, there is a component here that hasn't been addressed in any way- I've been doing construction and steel work my whole life, and as a result, I'm a pretty big guy. When it comes to knowing *what* to do to fix the car, there isn't a problem- but when it comes down to trying to fish my arm down through an engine when every availible inch has been packed full of vacuum lines and plastic covers, the job becomes impossible. It's not a matter of complexity, it's a matter of space, and I'd much rather find a mechanic who needs some remodeling done in exchange for a repair job then spend 14 hours and half my skin on my day off trying to do something that someone else can do in 30 minutes.

My last truck was an '87 Dodge Ram D150 with the 225 ci slant 6 engine and was real durable and reliable. While doing maintenance on it, there was tons of room in the engine compartment. You could climb into it if you wanted. Everything was easy to get to. You didn't have to spend an hour removing other stuff to get to the part you needed to get to. Working on an older full size truck with a straight 6 spoils you, and then you open up the hood on a modern FWD car! Wires, vacuum hoses, EFI everywhere, no gaps! packed like sardines.
-
Prometheus wrote:

Amen! I have fond memories of standing INSIDE the engine compartment to work on an old inline six cylinder. Those days are, alas, gone forever. I now need to be a contortionist to work on a motorcycle.
-- It's turtles, all the way down

1962 Chevy! Used to climb in there to do the timing.

Well, changing the oil filter from above on a Chrysler slant six was not fun.

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 16:31:04 GMT, Lew Hodgett

No, it is called "post-modern" life. What happens when post-modern life suddenly and unexpectedly becomes post-post-modern life? COULD you butcher a hog, if you really needed to?
-- Robert Sturgeon Summum ius summa inuria. http://www.vistech.net/users/rsturge /
Robert Sturgeon wrote:
> COULD you butcher a hog, if you > really needed to?
Yes, BUT, because I can, I've got sense enough to let somebody else do it.
Lew
On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 23:21:51 GMT, Lew Hodgett

No, you charge a fair bit to do the butchering operation, and hire a "grunt" to do the hard parts (i.e. you supervise). The hog owner get's his hog butchered correctly, your assistant gets food (a piece of the action), and you get a big hunk of hog.
And everyone is happy and well fed... :)
Retief
Retief wrote:
> No, you charge a fair bit to do the butchering operation, and hire a > "grunt" to do the hard parts (i.e. you supervise). The hog owner > get's his hog butchered correctly, your assistant gets food (a piece > of the action), and you get a big hunk of hog.
I have a fraternity brother who built a rather successful consulting engineering business.
We were having lunch one day when he told me he was going to fold up the business.
I asked him "Why".
His answer, "I'm getting tired of having to take everybody to the bathroom and hold their swantz while they do their business."
I understood.
Basic reason I run a one man band.
Lew
Retief wrote:

How do you incorrectly butcher a hog?
George E. Cawthon wrote:

I would assume if you intended to eat it. Pork is Unclean, read your Old Testament. If things broke down to the point where most people had to butcher their own meat, Pork would be last choice. Proper refrigeration and parasite control would certainly be long gone.
I'll stick with being able to butcher deer, beef, rabbit, and fowl.
words:

Give a pig and a knife to someone who hasn't a clue and end up with 250lb of pork trimmings.
--
Just when you think you see the light at the end of the tunnel, you find
out it's a 900lb gorilla with a flashlight!!

Make some good hotlinks though ....
Gunner
"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism. As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist
on Sun, 06 Aug 2006 17:54:53 GMT in misc.survivalism :

    Based on a sermon title from Dad's Seminary days ("Dead Hog and no Hot Water...") I'd say not having enough hot water is one factor. Don't ask me, I just pass 'em along.

    If the dead pig doesn't manage to stick him in the process.
    I'm not sure of all the details, but is seems that after Udo killed the hog, he placed the knife in the wrong place, and the dead pork roast "kicked" the knife right through his foot. In one side and out the other. Fortunately, Germany has good health care, but Udo was rather unhappy. he didn't feel right laying in bed all week, but orders are orders, especially when delivered by Herr Doctor. (And we had a couple English Nursing Sisters in the group, so he was Confined to his Room for the duration.)

    I'll take your word for it.
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich