OT bar codes

Got this in e-mail and thought it was interesting. I offer it for l your interest, check it out and see if it seems correct to you. I checked on my own and would like to know if anyone gets the same results. This is for amusement only. Curran Copeland

The whole world is concerned about China made 'black hearted goods'. Can you differentiate which one is made in Canada, Philippines, Taiwan or China?

The first 3 digits of the bar code is the country code wherein the product was made.

Sample: All bar codes that start at 690 - 695 are all MADE IN CHINA.

471 is Made in Taiwan

Government and related departments won't educate the public. Therefore, we have to educate ourselves.

Nowadays, Chinese businessmen know that consumers do not prefer products 'Made in China', so they don't show from which country it is made.

However, you may now refer to the bar code, remember if the first 3 digits are: 690-695 then it is Made in China.

BAR CODES

00 ~ 13 USA & CANADA 30 ~ 37 FRANCE 40 ~ 44 GERMANY 49 ~ JAPAN 50 ~ UK 57 ~ Denmark 64 ~ Finland 76 ~ Switzerland and Liechtenstein 471 ~ Taiwan 480 ~ Philippines 628 ~ Saudi-Arabia 629 ~ United Arab Emirates 690 ~ 695 China 740 ~ 745 Central America
Reply to
Curran Copeland

"Snopes" indicated this to be false. See:

Nova

labelled as such.

Reply to
DGDevin

Too bad that Snopes has an agenda and is also been known to s t r e t c h the the facts. They're a right-wing conspiracy?

Reply to
Robatoy

Too bad that Snopes has an agenda and is also been known to s t r e t c h the the facts. They're a right-wing conspiracy?

Didn't Snopes indicate that to be false?

Reply to
Curran Copeland

? In this case they seem to be right. I just leaned over and picked up a pack of CD-R "slim mini jewel cases" from staples, labeled "Made in China" with UPC code (7)1810301641(4) below the bar code.

I've given up on going by the country of origin. Sturgeon's Law seems to hold everywhere.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

How about:

"Hoax-Slayer:

's Communications
Or Fiction
I continue?

Reply to
Nova

The only bar-code I support is: "pay your bartender, tip your waitress."

Reply to
Robatoy

Why even start? Just two minutes spent looking at labels on the canned goods in your pantry is more than enough to demonstrate that this is nonsense.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Two minutes?! I don't have that kind of time to waste.

Google took 0.22 seconds, and I didn't have to get up. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

No need to go to the pantry even. If it's so then where were my Doritos (280) made? How about the dip (284)? And my Coca-Cola (496) And why is my new keyboard (978) marked "Made in China" if it really wasn't?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Down the street they're claiming Snopes is part of a left-wing media conspiracy. You know somebody is probably doing a good job when they irritate both the left and right-wingnuts. Of course the thing about wingnuts of both types is they think all the lunacy comes from the other wing....

Reply to
DGDevin

Interesting. I thought it is mandatory in the USA to label (in English words) where a product is made. I used to be a bar-code programmer (programming scanning devices and barcode labeling machines), but never knew there are codes to designate manufacturing location. I thought companies used whatever scheme they wanted.

Reply to
Phisherman

Oh, no, the barcodes are a US (and probably other) government requirement and if you start producing a product for sale in sufficient number you are required to put barcodes on it, and the codes are assigned to you by some government agency. You can use your own scheme in addition, but you must use the assigned codes.

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

products

These numbers are the country that assigned the bar code to a product, NOT THE COUNTRY OF ORIGIN!

Check out this site for info about bar codes:

are the country codes? Lots of people have requested the codes. Here is a partial list. Remember, it indicates the country that issued the code, NOT THE COUNTRY OF ORIGIN OF THE PRODUCT. The abbreviation "MO" stands for Member Organization. The meaning of the prefixes ""020-029", "040-049" and "200-299" are set by the GS1 administration in a given country. GS1-US has defined these prefixes as for internal use in, for example, warehouses. The authoritative list is here.

Len

Reply to
Len

Check again and I believe that you will find that there is no government requirement for bar codes on any products except medicines.

Reply to
J. Clarke

This is UPC and EAN.

See

* System code, the first two or three digits, usually identifying the country in which the manufacturer is registered (not necessarily where XXXXXXXXXX the product is actually made). When the EAN-13 barcode is a conversion of a 10-digit ISBN or ISMN code, the system code will be 978 or 979 respectively, or 977 for ISSNs.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol