OT bad experience today

Page 6 of 11  


Ideally, one would like to think so. Unfortunately a large percentage of reported pit bull attacks were from seemingly gentle family pets that just snapped and went wild.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
mp wrote:

I knew an acquaintance that had three pit bulls. He used to fight them every weekend. When anyone asked they were just "family pets" too.
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA (Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Your aquaintance is a scum bag. The breed was originally developed to be agressive to animals, but very people-friendly. In my research I read of how owners of fighting dogs would regularly stay in the ring with their dogs, get down beside them, and urge them on as they ripped each other apart.
So it is possible that his dogs were not a threat to you or to his family. However he was participating in a criminal activity, and probably not someone you would like to sit down and have a beer with.
Jay

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Jay Knepper wrote:

In fact a fighting pit bull that showed aggressiveness towards humans was killed out of hand.

The rules of American dog fighting require that the owners stay in the ring while the dogs are fighting. Further, they have to wade in an separate their dogs at the referee's command. They can't afford to have a dog which is aggressive towards humans because they're the ones most likely to be bitten.
In fact you're less likely to be bitten by a pit bull in breaking up a dog fight than just about any other breed. Which does not make it a good idea to try to do it.

As you say. A scum bag.
--RC

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Your "friend" ought to have HIS ass whipped.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Mark Hopkins wrote:

Just to set the record straight, he was an acquaintance. No way would a call him a friend.
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA (Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Nova wrote:

People who fight dogs are a pretty low form of life. It's one of the things most pit bull owners hate. Not that that stops the dog fighters.
(If you've ever seen the 'winner' of a tough dog fight you'll know why most pit bull owners hate dog fights so much. A battle sick dog is an awful sight.)
--RC

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

For the most part, seemingly gentle family pets of all breeds are untrained. ALL dogs should be trained. ALL large dogs should be professionaly trained.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Too bad that few dogs received knowledgeable training, much less professional training. Makes you question the sanity of allowing dangerous breeds into residential neighbourhoods.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Also too bad that most owners have never been trained and don't have a clue. There's always shock and amazement when Fluffie the Yorkie rips a squirrel to shreds in the back yard.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Better a ripping squirrel to shreds than the face of your neighbours kid.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

According to the CDC, Fluffy The Yorkie killed at least one person. Had to have been an infant, or the Yorkie From Hell.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I'd imagine if you let a Yorkie chew on your flesh over an extended period of time it'll eventually kill you. Maybe.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
mp wrote:

Or the dog goes for your face and severs an artery. Can happen in an instant, even with something as small as a Yorkie. Especially with a small child.
--RC
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
mp wrote:

Better neither. That's why you train your dog. The kid you save may be your own. (According to the statistics family members are more likely to be harmed by dogs than outsiders. The statistics also show that children are more likely to be attacked than adults and in children most of the bites are to the face.)
--RC
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
mp wrote:

Reality check: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "DANGEROUS BREED" of dog. All breeds of dogs are potentially dangerous and the danger increases in proportion to their size and strength. This is not because larger dogs are more aggressive. It is because they can do more damage.
--RC
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Lobby Dosser did say:

All Usenet posts should be professionally edited before being posted.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Quite true, but I've yet to be bit by one. :o)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Well, it wouldn't hurt to have any large breed of dog professionally trained. But the point is that any medium to large dog needs to be well trained and properly socialized.
--RC
WoodMangler wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
mp wrote:

"Snapped and went wild"? What utter nonsense! Absent psychosis, dogs simply don't do that. Dog behavior is actually quite predictable, including a potential attack, if you speak dog fluently enough.
One of the problem here is that dogs of any breed tend to behave differently around their owners and families than they do around strangers or other dogs. Most dog owners, unfortunately, are content if their dog is reasonably well behaved around the family. And of course none of them will admit that their dog had behavior problems after a dog bite incident.
--RC
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.