OT bad experience today

Page 11 of 11
Sounds like you had a really nasty experience. I'm not sure why someone whose dog had to be muzzled would take it to a dog park, let alone let it run. The owner is an idiot, and it sounds like the dog might be a real threat. But note that we remember and discuss the breed, not the owners. That's always the way it is.
I was walking in a dog park with a husband and wife their dog, and my dogs a few years ago. The wife was chatty but the husband was rather quiet. At one point she told me that her husband "had a thing" about pit bulls. I asked him about it, and he said he was OK with my dogs, but he his forearm had been seriously injured when his neighbour's dog attacked him. It turns out that the neighbour had trained the dog by having it hang by its teeth from a suspended 2x4, while beating it with a wire coat hanger. Otherwise it was kept isolated outside on a short chain. The chain trick alone tends to make dogs agressive toward people.
Dave Mundt has posted a URL later in this thread that gives a fair picture of the breed and its characteristics, http://www.rescueeverydog.org/pitbull_breed.html . I hope that a few others in the group take a look at it, or will do their own research. Some of the salient points of the URL are that pitt bulls were originally bred to be VERY people friendly, but agressive to other animals. I'm sure that there are breeders that still work for dog-agressive qualites because I understand that dog fights are remain popular in some parts of the country. What I hate is painting all of these animals with the same brush.
Jay

"Jay Knepper" wrote in message

creatures..."
See my other post on the subject.

especially
Not true at all of the pit bull .. inarguably, the pit bull does not have to be "trained to do so" ... it was bred _specifically_ "to do so".
Too the contrary, as general rule thay have to be trained NOT to do so ... a circumstance I don't necessarily relish with the number of idiots running loose in this culture, and certainly not one I would rely upon to safeguard my dogs, or even the children in the neighborhood, particularly if they are walking a dog.
I like dogs, have been around them all my life, and have owned many breeds ... I've yet to see a dog with the propensity, and the tools/physique necessary, to do "damage" to another dog, or human if they get in the way.
You can argue all you want, and I would own another pit bull ... but not in an urban setting, and damn sure not without kicking my umbrella policy up a few more million.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04
Swingman wrote:

In which you displayed both prejudice and a near complete ignorance.

True of any dog.

Wrong again. While terriers in general tend to be aggressive toward other animals, pit bulls have to be very specifically trained to fight. Some of the training methods are pretty horrendous.

No. Like any terrier they need to be socialized around other dogs, cats, etc. But they do NOT have to be trained not to attack them. The statement simply demonstrates further your lack of knowledge.

Then you haven't been around many medium to large dog breeds.
--RC

You were doing OK until this last little bit which succeeded in removing any credibility you had.

his
an
Well, Searcher reported seeing two sets of people walking dogs during his encounter. That does not sound like an area where one should be firing a large handgun. But you're right, that comment was OT squared.
Jay

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 12:54:48 -0400, "Jay Knepper"

I did agree with a previous poster's sentiment to that effect a few minutes ago. The original statement was a gut reaction to several very bad encounters with that particular breed, most of whom were kept by people who could also reasonably be called "nasty creatures".

I'm not positive, but I believe that the breeders are sticking to tradition when they breed pit-bulls (or any other terrier) to be tough and mean. I think the original purpose of the [terrier] breed was to hunt down and kill big sewer rats in Europe. The story I had heard was that for many, many generations, a new litter was thrown into a barrel with a weasel (or a badger, I can't remember), and the last pups to survive were used for breeding.
Of course you're right, that does lead to awesome physical specimens, but it also breeds an agressive streak into the animal. That being said, I emphatically do not believe in banning breeds- I would simply like to see agressive animals either kept at home, or taken (after more than say, two offences) to a local shelter where they may or may not be able to be rehabilitated. (I get all my pets from the shelter, and they are often wonderful once they are in a better environment)

I know German Shepards are demonized as well, and I love those dogs. But it does seem that pit-bulls are particularly prone to turning, and their bites are far worse than most other animals, with that muscular, locking jaw.

This discussion sounds suspicoiusly like that about overpowered cars: Their defenders tell you "just because my car has 400 horsepowers and can go 300km/h does not mean that i need to drive too fast...:
Juergen Hannappel wrote:

Well, there is this difference. This argument is essentially analogous to whether or not that 400 horsepower vehicle will really do 300km/h.
If the 'car' in question is a semi-tractor designed to haul trailer loads of freight, then the 300km/h claim is obvious nonsense. But if you're dealing with people who can't see beyond the horsepower rating and are absolutely, totally, unshakably convinced that the vehicle _must_ be capable of 300 km/m because it has 400 horsepower, well. . .
--RC

Prometheus wrote:

Wrong. For the most part they are gentle and loving dogs.

People who own dogs of any sort and let them roam around loose aren't going to have them very long. This is doubly true of pit bulls because of the prejudice against them. (Which we have seen amply demonstrated here.)
--RC
We look forward to tomorrow's installment.
UA100

It's time to call up BARK (Brotherhood of All Restaurants Korean) and petition them to look into this situation.
We had a similar problem with marauding felines and made one phone call to CAT (Chinese-Asian-Thai restaurant group).
They sent out a SWAT (Small Wild Animals Tasty) Team and we haven't heard so much as a meow in months.
(If there is anyone who has not been offended by this post, please forward your name and ethnicity via email, and an every attempt will be made to insult you personally.)
<):- )
Regards, Tom.
calmly ranted:

Bwahahahaha! Excellent, Tom. Well done.
LJ President CARDO (Citizens Against Rabid Dog Owners)
---------------------------------------------------------------- * OPERA: A Latin word * Wondrous Website Design * meaning * Save your Heirloom Photos * "death by music" * http://www.diversify.com ----------------------------------------------------------------
scribbled:

That should have CATI (or CATV - sorry to undermine your cool acronym), as the people from Vicenza (vicentini) are renowned for eating cats. Luckily, few of them immigrated to North America, so we get pizza & spaghetti rather than cat polenta.

Uh Oh - this is starting to turn into a Puppy Wizzard thread.
Regards, Tom.
Searcher wrote:

Your lucky to have that option, in the UK they effectively banned "pit bulls" and "handguns", now there are lots of both illegally owned and misused. As far as I'm concerned anything that looks like a p/b, p/b cross, staffie or similar is *probably* now owned for image "I'm 'ard, f*ck you", not for the love of the breed its self, though as always there are a few exceptions, but the generalisation might just keep you safe, never trust one, even if its not being aggressive YET.
Niel, former frontline ambulance tech. BTW the lab is the most common biter in the uk, except a lab usually only nips when really pushed by stupid kids 'cause they think they're soft...
Not that I want one but....
It would be illegal for me to have a pet pot bellied pig, but okay for me to have a pitbull!
Substitute chicken for pig if you prefer.
What a mess.

A pot bellied chicken?
writes:

Hey, let's leave Bay Area Dave out of this!
B.
Gaugung from the replies here to this OT post- 92 in three days - we need to start a rec.WWG.pitbull group.
On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 02:51:08 GMT, "Searcher"

I had a similar experience just last Tuesday night. Must have been a Bush supporter. He was VERY angry!