OT bad experience today

Page 1 of 11
A dog here almost became filled with lead today, I was out in my yard with my 3 year old son, doing a little yard work. Luckily, my siter in law was close to my son when from around the garage came a pit bull at full charge. After my siter in law grabbed up my son the dog took off after another couple walking thier dog, it was then that I retrieved my .44 with every intention of dispatching that animal. The dog was still roaming as I was cleaning up our garden tools and I was ready. I saw the dog take off after another person walking his dog. I kept cleaning up and went in. I have not seen that dog before or again. But if that dog had come near my yard it would have been hauled off in a bag!
Searcher1
Searcher wrote:

Did you call police? Someone is going to have to deal with that dog.
Josie
On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 23:00:41 -0400, "firstjois"

It might be different where you are, but I had a neighbor about three years ago who had a pit-bull that they allowed to run free in the area. The thing actually had the gall to come right into my garage where I was working and start growling at me, until I ran the thing out with a shovel and got the door closed. There were numerous occasions like that, and the dog was always agressive. But when I called Animal control and the local PD, they said they couldn't do anything about it because it hadn't actually bit anyone yet.
The sad thing is- if a pit bull bites, it often needs to be killed to make it release it's grip, and they do huge amounts of physical damage to the person being bit, sometimes killing the person they attack. Waiting until they bite someone seems like a bad policy decision, IMO!
Prometheus wrote:

Too bad! I'm in Virginia where there are leash laws for both dogs and if you would please believe it - cats. I can call animal control and have a dog picked up, most of the time I just call the owners and let them know "The dog is out, again." and they are happy to come and collect them. I have a 42" high fence and have seen German Shepherds jump over and small dogs crawl under.
I'm surprised that the dog didn't charge you daughter-in-law when she picked up the child. Somehow dogs and children in adult's arms seem to encourage aggressive dogs.
Anyway, waiting for the bite is a horrible policy!
Josie
Josie responds:

In some areas. There is NO leash law in Bedford County.

I don't have kids to worry about, but I do have a small dog. Any dog that attacks me, my wife, my dog, or behaves, in my judgment, with excessive aggression is apt to become detached from its head via machete. The law doesn't like it, but we're not getting torn up to improve the mood of a Commonwealth's Attorney (DA in less pretentious areas).
Charlie Self "Politics, n. Strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles." Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Should have locked it IN the garage with the car running!
"Prometheus" wrote in message

I was raised in the country, where your dog on my land was *my* dog, subject to whatever penalties I felt like imposing for his trespass .... and in the case of harming my livestock or property, that was usually being shot forthwith.
I had my right hand completely bitten through by a pit bull some years back when rescuing a three year old boy who had somehow gotten into the middle of the pit bull's fight with a German shepherd. Once the pit bull grabbed my hand the dog fight was over, but damn if he didn't bite me on the other hand during the next few minutes of me struggling to get my right hand from those jaws (around here, they typically grab them by the balls to make them open their mouths, but I didn't have enough hands left to try that).
I am generally of a live and let live philosophy on most issues, but to me there is no reason a sane individual would own one of these dogs, particularly in an urban environment. They are anti-social assault weapons, and no other animal, child, or human is ultimately safe around one, except for the owner.
To let one run loose in an urban situation, even accidentally, is akin to assault with a deadly weapon and should be treated as such.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Prairie Oysters?
Regards, Tom.
"Tom Watson" wrote in message

hand
those
open
More like 'Hood Oysters these days.
Still cleaning the monitor re your BARK, CAT and SWAT ... along that same line see the following thread earlier this year:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&threadm=3oCdnWiECplUNqbd4p2dnA%40giganews.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dcat%2Brabbit%2Bgroup:rec.woodworking%2Bauthor:swingman%26hl%3Den%26lr%3Dlang_en%26ie%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D3oCdnWiECplUNqbd4p2dnA%2540giganews.com%26rnum%3D1
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

    I have to take some issue with this, as it is exactly like saying all African-Americans are shiftless, promiscuous drug dealers. Here is a fairly good look at the breed and its characteristics http://www.rescueeverydog.org/pitbull_breed.html     The bottom line is that with pit bulls, as well as every other breed of dog, the behavior of the dog is directly related to the training given it by the owner. If the owner trains it to promote its aggressive tendencies, then, it will be aggressive. If it is trained to attack...it will attack. On the other hand, if the owner has treated the dog with love and promoted its friendlier side, then it will not endanger any human.     Now...as the above points out, they WERE bred for fighting, whichs means that they WILL have a tendency (hard to overcome) to fight with other DOGS. However, again, with proper training, it is possible to overcome this, so the pit bull will not automatically attack on sight...but...it does require training.     Of course, I do realise that dogs, being living creatures, come in QUITE a range of personalities, so, I am sure there are some Pit Bulls that are so filled with aggression that they cannot be brought to heel without constant supervision. In that case, either the owner has to understand and take on that responsibility, or have the dog put down.

    I agree with the first part of this sentence, although I strongly disagree with the last part. Actually, that is one reason I have not owned a dog for the past 20 years. The area just got too grown up to allow the creatures the sort of life that they need. While there are a number of breeds that do well in "indoor only" settings, the larger dogs that I preferred really need to be able to roam. The more folks packed into the area, the more chance that the dog will run across someone whose irrational fear will cause problems...so...no dogs.     THe bottom line for me is that it is a bad thing to label ANY breed of dog as "evil". The behavior of ANY dog completely depends on the training and level of attention that the owner gives to the dog.     Regards     Dave Mundt
Dave Mundt wrote:
<snip>

<snip>
That's quite scary, though, isn't it? Clearly most owners are not knowledgeable or equipped to do such training, and it's a leap of faith that it's possible to overcome this inborn tendency. You might make it less likely that your dog will attack others, but will you totally remove that urge? I doubt it.
Consider Siegfried and Roy. Clearly they trained and socialized their animals much, much more than the average dog owner, but nonetheless tragedy struck. Training can mitigate inborn tendencies, but that's not the same thing as removing them.

That's not true, the behavior of any dog completely depends on it's training, and on it's genetic pre-dispositions and the environment. Otherwise you could train a newfoundland to be as good a sheep herder as your average border collie.
-Peter De Smidt
"Peter De Smidt" wrote in message > Dave Mundt wrote:

Precisely!
Absolutely correct ... and particularly with a breed like the pit bull, it's damn scary that anyone can actually think otherwise.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04
Swingman wrote:

Precisely wrong! Do you have ANY experience whatsoever with being around pit bulls? Have you ever trained one or tried to train one?
It's pretty clear you're talking from a near-complete lack of knowledge.
--RC

What is scary is the level of arrogant ignorance we're seeing demonstrated here.
--RC

"Rick Cook" spewed in message

faith
Can you read? Do you? According to your own words in a previous message, you havent had any of the above.

Had you made the smallest effort to read this thread, you wouldn't have made such a fool out of yourself by jumping to that erroneous conclusion. You also made clear that your qualifications were limited to having "never owned one" and only "having several friends who own them ..."
Not exactly what I'd call expert opinion that justifies such, well ... "arrogance" ... another one of your words in this thread.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04
Swingman wrote:

As far as I can see your experience with pit bulls consists of getting bitten by one when you tried to break up a dog fight. This seems to have led you to a phobic reaction against this particular breed of dog -- irregardless of the fact that anyone attempting to break up a dog fight between _any_ breeds of dogs runs a high risk of being bitten. (And if anything I'd argue the risk of being bitten by a pit bull in that situation is less than with most other breeds because aggression towards humans was stringently de-selected.)

I have obviously spent far more time around pit bulls than you have. I have seen them raised from puppyhood to old age. I have had the opportunity to observe a number of specimens of the breed at very close range. And I have friends who have spent literally years raising them. And of course, some of my best canine friends are pit bulls.
So, yes. I have more than ample experience to comment when faced with the kind of ignorance and phobias you've displayed in this thread.

Call it rather 'experience.' Far more than you have with pit bulls, apparently.
However beyond that, don't you see the arrogance implicit in labeling an entire breed of dogs, or anything else, as 'dangerous'?
--RC

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 04:49:38 +0000, Rick Cook wrote:

Errr, aligators, piranah, west nile carrying mosquitos, ....?
-Doug
--
"It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among
[my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between

OF *COURSE* it is! The long-form name is the T-errr-til. Cousin to the tortise.
Robert Bonomi did say:

I KNEW it!!! He's a Florida-phobe. Next thing you know he'll be bringing up that silly voting thing... It wasn't my fault. Regards, Chad

You mean you _don't_ have dimples, Chad?
And _nothing_ 'hanging', Chad?