OT: At least there was one

Yes. I would've thought Baby Bush would have been more of a country fan, excluding the Dixie Chicks, of course.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

So as a Republican you will vote for the most liberal ticket in the history of the Democratic party, or you just won't vote?

Joe

and you

Reply to
Joe Tylicki

I think if you really wanted to get it straight, you would read the news reports directly from a couple of different sources. If you did that you'd realize that a) what was taken was a photocopy -- not the original -- of a report submitted to Berger on how the Millenium attacks were foiled, and that the 9/11 commission has the original (b) the other thing taken out was his handwritten notes in prep for the

9/11 commission; (c) all this happened more than 4 months ago, since which Berger has been cooperating and is just now being leaked; (d) Berger probably has no motivation to steal a report that the 9/11 commission has already seen and included in their report.

But I don't think you really want to get it straight, do you? I suspect knowing more about current events would cause you to question your comfortable political views.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

The question I have is why if this was all just a little misunderstanding

- what's with the stuffing of the notes and whatever into the socks and pants rather than the briefcase?

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

The details seem to be a bit sketchy to nail down, but do we know this for a fact? I'm not sure we even know everything he took, since by Berger's own admission, he lost several documents. Which, of course, isn't the point anyway. The point is, he shouldn't have taken the documents in the first place. Unfortunately, it is yet another reflection on how seriously members of the Clinton administration took protection of classified information.

Which he also was not authorized to take.

(c) all this happened more than 4 months ago, since

Typical liberal response. More worried about the timing of the release of the information than the information itself. Look, I'm willing to stipulate that the release of the information is politically motivated. It's less than four months from the presidential election! Everything is politically motivated from here on out.

I see. You know everything that was contained in the documents he was looking at? Including the ones that have disappeared? OK. You tell me why he took the documents. Please come up with a story that doesn't make me laugh out loud.

But you've got it all straight, right?

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

Dang! And here I always thought it took two to tango....

Renata

-snip-

-snip-

Reply to
Renata

Ah! Is this why Bush refused to testify under oath to the 9/11 Commission (which (the lack of oath) was unprecedented, so save your excuses).

Renata

-snip

Reply to
Renata

Renata responds:

Oh, c'mon now. You know it's always all the woman's fault. No man would take advantage. Have you ever heard a more Victorian point of view? Thought that concept had died some time in the '60s, one of the better results of feminism.

But it does seem like she had already gone to the "bare" point, so...does he mean "bear" without knowing it?

Charlie Self "I think the most un-American thing you can say is, 'You can't say that.' " Garrison Keillor

Reply to
Charlie Self

Until men are able to get pregnant and carry children, the greater burden of preventing unwanted pregnancies is placed on women. If you don't like it, send your complaints to the designer.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

I vote for those whose policies more closely follow my research and thinking regardless of party or label. I left the Republican party when a nephew informed me that I was not really a Republican anyway. I am now an independent which makes more sense. I value honesty and competence rather highly. The current administration displays precious little of these commodities. I will be voting for John Kerry.

mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

However, motherhood is optional, while fatherhood is not. Takes a big load off the female.

Until the male has the right to dispose of his responsibility toward that no-viable tissue mass....

Reply to
George

Is it really?

Can you back up your claim that it's unprecedented? Also, tell me again how lying under oath isn't worse than not lying under oath?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I did.

Oddly, I am seeing that Berger admitted a mistake in _thinking_ he was only stealing a photocopy rather than the original. If I missed that difference, apparently he did as well.

What did Kerry know and when did he know it? He only kicked the guy off his advisory staff once found out...

Then why did he admit to doing it and say it was a mistake?

I'm pretty comfortable that Berger's own admission is pretty obvious, yes. What disturbs me is that Kerry either didn't know it and acted on the best information he had which was incomplete, or he knew it and didn't care. (Note that I am using a leftie's anti-Bush tactic here. How does it feel?)

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Hardly unprecedented - Clinton and Gore also testified to the 9-11 comission in private and not under oath. I suppose you could say they also "refused" to testify under oath, but since none of them were asked to, you'd be wrong.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Yeah, when you write both sides of the conversation, it's easy to counter the arguments. Doesn't mean any of it is _accurate_, but at least you get to claim it is, right?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Flip flop No.1

Flip Flop No.2

Flip Flop No.3

Flop Flop No.4

Flip Flop No.5

Flip Flop No.6

Any more flip flop? I always thot Kerry is the flip flop man?

Reply to
WD

Who of credibility actually claims that the ex-national security adviser is stuffing notes into his socks and pants? Really, what would he have to gain?

More likely this is just a little mudslinging episode with a high amount of exaggeration.

Nate Perkins

You are right that the details are sketchy to nail down, especially the tripe about a respected ex-national security adviser stuffing classified documents into his underwear. What you guys are doing is repeating a lot of unsubstantiated rumor. Serious reports acknowledge that the items taken were as I described. Try reading the news reports instead of reading Usenet.

A mistake which he has already admitted to. Did it hurt national security? The Republican chairman of the 9/11 commission does not think so:

(c) all this happened more than 4 months ago, since

Typical knee-jerk Republican response. More eager to see nefarious wrongdoing than to ask plausible questions about motivation, to be able to think critically about a topic.

If you bothered to read the news you would know that the government and the 9/11 committee already knows which documents were in question. Clearly specified by Thomas Kean, chairman of the 9/11 commission, in the above link.

No, but I read more than one news source which is apparently more than you do.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

He *does* and always has. Don't put it in there in the first place.

sheesh.

Reply to
bridger

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 01:33:32 -0500, "Todd Fatheree" wrote: OK. You tell me why

the guy has a HUGE workload. he was taking them home to *read* them....

Reply to
bridger