OT: as OT as OT gets. I had my last Peanut Butter Cup.

Page 6 of 6
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMgmail.com says...

In this case though M&M packages have been brown for as long as I can remember--if they have any sense the courts will tell Hershey that that ship sailed before anybody present in the courtroom was born. And if there was any justice they'd also award M&Ms punitive damages for their trouble in putting up with Hershey's harassment.
And the statute needs to be changed so that only unique and distinctive colors or combinations of color are protected, and that packaging that approximates the natural color of the commonplace product contained therein is _never_ protected. Either that or there has to be a "common sense" test given to judges before they are allowed to take the bench.
Perhaps we need a Constitutional Amendment to the effect that if a matter brought before the judge makes the judge giggle or do a facepalm, the finding is immediately for the defendant, the plaintiff pays all costs including inconvenience to the defendant, and counsel for the plaintiff is immediately and permanently disbarred.

Actually, the suit is over new Dove packaging and its use of orange, though Hershey admits there are shades of orange other than that trademarked for Reese's packaging.
Wasn't it in this newsgroup where it was recently noted that 3M has trademarked "purple," though it was unclear whether it was the word or the color that was trademarked? In any case, isn't it nice to know that in these days or high unemployement, the copyright lawyers likely will not need to search for new jobs!

Owens Corning has a registered trademark on the color PINK. (for their fiberglas insulation.)
The Boston Red Sox hold a trademark on the shade of green that the stadium wall is painted. You _can_ get paint in that shade, but part of the price is a royalty to the ball team.
E.I. Du Pont has -- many years ago -- trademarked the oval, as a unique design element in their logo.
In article <rMGdnQsgvIbf-
bonomi.com says...

Don't anybody tell Ford that.
Do you have a source for that information? I can't find anything on the duPont site that suggests that an oval, devoid of the word "duPont", is a registered trademark. Further, the US Patent and Trademark office has no record of a geometric figure being registered to DuPont.
Odd - the two companies normally get along with each other.
From time to time one or the other asks for help from the other in getting some chocolate raw materials. Their supplier was caught in a storm or whatnot.
They have a pact that they help each other. I suppose some one just got a new kid out of Harvard or Yale and had to test...
Martin
On 11/27/2010 11:07 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Good lord.
If you are going to adjust you eating habits because of the bullshit attorneys can come up with, your life-span is limited.
Pass the Peanut Butter Cups!!!
RonB

They insult my intelligence by assuming I can't tell the difference between wrappers?
Robatoy wrote:

They're not trying to insult YOUR intelligence, only those on the jury.
Nothing personal at all.

:-) Fair enough..