OT: as OT as OT gets. I had my last Peanut Butter Cup.

Page 5 of 6

Aitch.
But that has nothing to do with it (think W!)
BTW google gives 12,400,000 hits for "a hospital" but only 181,000 hits for "an hospital" - and most of the latter are discussing usage.
: How would you spell the name of the letter 'H'?
: JG
'aitch'.
-- Andy Barss

As in 'a itch'.

By now, he's likely considering the source. </rimshot>
-- Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour

I got the other 6. ;~)
On 11/27/10 11:07 AM, Robatoy wrote:

There's a drum company with round lugs, who get's their jollies by suing other drum companies with round lugs for copyright/trademark infringement.
They apparently think they invented the circle. It never gets to court.
--

-MIKE-

Robatoy wrote:

Colors (used in packaging) CAN be trademarked. This is codified in U.S. law and also in the international Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights, including Trade in Counterfeit Goods of the TRIPS Agreement.
"In conclusion, in spite of precedent setting lawsuits, the laws of color ownership are in flux. Prior rulings are frequently reversed by subsequent lawsuits. Consequently, companies continue to take legal action and millions are spent to defend the rights to color."
The Supreme Court held in the 1995 case of Qualitex Co. v. Jacobson Products Co., 115 S.Ct. 1300 (1995) that the green-gold color of a dry cleaning press pad can function as a trademark.
http://www.bitlaw.com/trademark/devices.html

So you would inadvertently grab a Dove bar when you were meaning to get a Peanut Butter Cup from Hershey's? Just because it is legal doesn't make it right.
Robatoy wrote:

Go up to someone not familiar with this story and ask the simple question: "When you think of chocolate bars, what company comes to mind?"
The vast majority will respond "Hershey."
Now ask them "When's the last time you saw a Hershey commercial? On TV, in a magazine, a billboard, anywhere?" They'll be hard-pressed to remember even one.
Since it's founding, the Hershey company has harkened to it's founder's motto: "Make a good product and put your name on it as big as you can."
This reliance on product branding is rife throughout the company - it's a big deal within the Hershey company. That's probably why they went bridal over something they considered similar.

Only a lawyer can see the similarities in a shade of brown. One is a big orange wrapper with some printing, the other is a big brown wrapper with more subtle printing. From 100 yards you can tell them apart. Case dismissed!

Sounds like a case for the "skeet shooting" test. Flip a coin and load the candy bars in the launchers. The shooter goes after whichever package the coin indicates. 90% success, automatic lawsuit fail.
Puckdropper

True, but look at the two packages side by side. http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2010/11/hershey_co_sues_competitor_mar.html
Confused? If I was the judge, that case would be over in 15 seconds.
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2010/11/hershey_co_sues_competitor_mar.html
------------------------------ In the legal community think it's called job security.
BTW, heard an interesting stat the other day.
There are in excess of 1.1 million attorneys in the USA.
The population of the USA is about 310 million.
IOW, there is an attorney for about every 300 people.
Wonder how many doctors and/or engineers there are?
Lew
...and somebody has to take out the garbage.
In the legal community think it's called job security.
BTW, heard an interesting stat the other day.
There are in excess of 1.1 million attorneys in the USA.
The population of the USA is about 310 million.
IOW, there is an attorney for about every 300 people.
Wonder how many doctors and/or engineers there are?
Lew
...and somebody has to take out the garbage.
In the legal community think it's called job security.
BTW, heard an interesting stat the other day.
There are in excess of 1.1 million attorneys in the USA.
The population of the USA is about 310 million.
IOW, there is an attorney for about every 300 people.
Wonder how many doctors and/or engineers there are?
Lew

I was looking up an address of a friend of mine, an attorney in NY state, and this list popped up...I laughed my ass off: http://www.clr.org/ny.html
On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 21:06:50 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

Sickening. Does anyone here NOT believe that our US judicial system is screwed up?
-- Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour

-- Louis L'Amour
I wasn't laughing because I thought it was funny!

Wow, quite a few judges also. "Your Honor, I'll bet you $500 he is guilty". Damn, lost another bet.
On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 20:19:18 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

Scary shit, Maynard!

800,000, but up to half are threatening to retire due to Obamunism. Two of my neighbor's doctors have retired and another one is due at the end of the year. Medicare just told him that he can no longer go to the doctor every 6 weeks (MD suggestion) to check his meds, he has to go every month now. This adds more costs to the patients, overloads the remaining doctors, and costs Medicare more money. How in the f*ck does this save the gov't money?!?

1.5 million, but there are at least another thousand here on Wreck.Metalheads, right? Here's the breakdown: http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm
I was unable to quickly google the number of politicians in the USA, but I fear it is very high.