OT: as OT as OT gets. I had my last Peanut Butter Cup.

Which was recently included in the dictionary.

Why? Simply because of usage.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Which dictionary? To be fair, dictionaries are simply a record of words-in-use, so not too much use to the militant pedant.

Reply to
David Paste

Does not matter to me, what I am really good at is troubleshooting things (mainly electronic circuitry) and I have yet to meet one that required I properly address it in English.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

If I understand corretly, you're saying that its a simple case of 'force of _habit_', eh?

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

It's "a hospital" in BrE (and sometimes "a hotel"). What part of the UK are you in??

Reply to
Bob Martin

Well, he -wasn't- an electrician, or a conductor, was he?

OTOH, there was the person who was absolutely flabbergasted to see a person 'drop trou' in a public venue. It was reported that the look on their face was the faze of the moon.

Robert Bonomi

That last form _IS_ a correct usage. For which the indicated treatement is usually to administer penecillin.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Professor 'Enry 'Iggins takes exception to your categoriztion.

George Bernard Shaw concurs.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Yeah?

Just what term *would* you use to describe doing something "without irregard"?

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Owens Corning has a registered trademark on the color PINK. (for their fiberglas insulation.)

The Boston Red Sox hold a trademark on the shade of green that the stadium wall is painted. You _can_ get paint in that shade, but part of the price is a royalty to the ball team.

E.I. Du Pont has -- many years ago -- trademarked the oval, as a unique design element in their logo.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Same for "conversate".

Reply to
dadiOH

Don't anybody tell Ford that.

Do you have a source for that information? I can't find anything on the duPont site that suggests that an oval, devoid of the word "duPont", is a registered trademark. Further, the US Patent and Trademark office has no record of a geometric figure being registered to DuPont.

Reply to
J. Clarke

With regard, or more likely, a headache and a cup of tea.

Reply to
David Paste

..and what's with that "fact of the matter" crap, eh?

Reply to
Robatoy

It's probably the aliens.

Reply to
David Paste

"commentate" "orientate"

People seem to be too hungry to speak properly, as they what to "ate" everything. (that was terrible)

Reply to
-MIKE-

A line from a Pete Seeger tune.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

regurgitate

-----------

Try using "gurgitate" in place of "eat" or "consume" and watch the expressions. Art

Reply to
Artemus

I like the usage of such words as "supposably" and "irregardless"

Try using "gurgitate" in place of "eat" or "consume" and watch the expressions. Art

regurgitate

Reply to
Josepi

While I would concede that you would aspirate the H of hospital when not using the indefinite article : "I have to go to hospital", you wouldn't do so when talking in the abstract.

I cannot think of any occasion when I would aspirate the H of hotel.

Warwickshire.

How would you spell the name of the letter 'H'?

JG

Reply to
JG