OT: as OT as OT gets. I had my last Peanut Butter Cup.

Page 4 of 6

Professor 'Enry 'Iggins takes exception to your categoriztion.
George Bernard Shaw concurs.

Me. Leon and Me, not I.
(Look, it's too cold here in Britain for me to be in the shed at the minute, and this is how my lack-of-woodworking frustration manifests itself!)
Him and me seen it.

Swine!

Reap what you sow.

D'oh!
(I'm having roast pork for my dinner, as it happens...)

Did you "sue" Leon (bar him from your shop) or just smack him with your hammer?
Sonny
On 11/27/2010 1:42 PM, Sonny wrote:

What the hell is a "hammer"??
Got a link? Quick, while me still got money, left ...
(how's that frustration level doing now, David?) <g>
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

There's a sharp pain running down my left arm now.
On 11/27/2010 2:10 PM, David Paste wrote:

If you're fingers start tingling, go straight to hospital!
Or is it "a" hospital; are maybe "an" hospital??
(Where's that damn nun when you need her ...)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Probably working out the interest rates on her loansharking.
On 11/27/2010 2:18 PM, David Paste wrote:

Hell, with all the gold I saw just on the walls at the Vatican you would think they could just retire and forego work of any kind.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Well, gold is pretty good heat shield, so clearly they are defending us form the heat of hell. Of course, that implies hell is somewhere in the Vatican, but that's not such a stretch of the imagination!
On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 12:18:10 -0800 (PST), David Paste

Probably on the Internet, searching for Swingy's physical address so she can wallop him for the missing question mark, and his grating grammer and ornery manner of late.
-- Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour
On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 20:34:30 -0800, Larry Jaques

Oh, god. I've been around you guys for too, too long.
-- Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour

Wherever the 'H' is not aspirated (therefore not pronounced) the second letter provides the solution to the rule for the indefinite article : 'a' before a consonant, 'an' before a vowel.
So, it is an (h)ospital, an (h)otel, an (h)onour, an (h)our etc.
The special case of 'H' being followed by 'Y' doesn't cause a problem because the 'H' is always aspirated.
JG
On 11/28/2010 5:38 AM, JG wrote:

It's "a hospital" in BrE (and sometimes "a hotel"). What part of the UK are you in??

While I would concede that you would aspirate the H of hospital when not using the indefinite article : "I have to go to hospital", you wouldn't do so when talking in the abstract.
I cannot think of any occasion when I would aspirate the H of hotel.
Warwickshire.
How would you spell the name of the letter 'H'?
JG
JG wrote:

Here in the USA we say things like, "They stayed in a hotel last night". <hoe-TEL>
Few folks here would say, "They stayed in an hotel last night". <oh-TEL>
IMO, YMMV, HAND
--

dadiOH

In many parts of the USA (including the one in which I live), that's pronounced <HOE-tel> by many people. Fortunately, I grew up farther north, and know how to pronounce it correctly. The correct *American* pronunciation, that is, which is the one you gave.