OT: As if THS is news.....

Page 5 of 6

I've been there 18 years. I've known the owners for well over 20 and we worked together at another company. There has never been a layoff. We have 18 employees and use a temp service for production when needed. The building we were in had a fire and shut us down, but no one missed an hour of pay. Even when we had no production for 5 months while moving to our other building.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O25ujRrSN8A
Our section of the building did not burn, be we had to move out anyway.
Employee age ranges from 72 down to 22. We have few rules, but the most important is "get the job done". As long as we are shipping on time, making a profit and keeping customers happy, there is very few questions asked. We all have the same goal as we all share in the benefits. Profit sharing, 401k, good medical, even free coffee.
Don't ask me how much vacation time I get. I don' tknow. I just take off whatever time I need. Don't ask me what my hours are either. For the longest time I started at 8 but now I go in roughly at 7 and leave about four, unless I leave at 2. Or unless I go out during the day to get an oil change. I don't consider going to work "work". No plans to retire.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Definitely not UTC. Stay an hour late and your supervisor gets mad at you for making him look bad because he hadn't stayed late. There's some vice president taking names of people who come in 5 minutes late, but he's not taking names of people who go home five _hours_ late. Get explicit orders to piss off the customer. Never met the owners, who are a bunch of anonymous shareholders.
--John
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

How's the weather, 72 and not a cloud in the sky?
;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Rain. You don't have to shovel rain

about
Sorry to hear that ... at first it sounded like "Pleasantville", where are basketball shots go "swish". :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Good movie.
"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote in message

Good man ... I figured someone would get it! :)
I thought the movie was unusually brilliant satire, for Hollowwood, on conformity.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Yes, some people went to law school to become a public defender. A public defender doesn't do that bad. I knew many true believers that had that career in mind and many more whom studied for degrees in social work. Another high paying job, but not as good as public defender. I don't understand people that pleasure in putting down others that had the initiative take charge of their lives. Student loans are loans and should be repaid. Bitching about repaying them is the same as bithing about repaying your mortgage. Credit card debt for a student is pure stupidity. You may not see this since you plonked me some time ago.

Yep.
Think about it. HE did it, SHE didn't. Difference is attitude. She was out to make a case for eternal poverty, he out to make a case for bootstrapping.
Don't let your prejudices get in the way, or you might miss something.
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 22:09:27 -0600, Tim Daneliuk

I said the "experiment" was unimpressive. What part of that did I miss?

I'm amazed that you did, what with that debillitating reading impairment you have.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Robatoy wrote:

It's news because in our John Edward's two-Americas paradigm, it is held by most enlightened elites that the working poor in our society are chronically in that condition with no way out of their condition without the help of the government taking away money from other productive people and giving it to those working poor or through legislation that forces businesses to pay them more or provide free career education or some other means.
What this guy did just set that paradigm on its ear. He showed that by applying common sense and rationality to this condition, he was able to start with nothing and move up.
Yeah, that's news.

The free market provides the best mechanism for price valuation. It is also a zero sum game. Market economies tend to be implemented by democracies. Market losers are also voters. The entitlements about which you whine serve as preservation for the market system. It's telling that EVERY market economy also has an entitlements programs. Populist insurrections are easily placated with scraps. The US has the stingiest entitlements program among advanced western economies. If you don't like them, then this is the country for you.

I'm certainly not going to solve the problem of institutional poverty in a usenet post but it seems your paradigm toppling relies on an assumption that probably doesn't reflect reality.
I'm not sure why people are impressed by this "experiment." For one thing, it doesn't reflect conditions AND it needs a control. In the first trial, Adam Shepard carried 25.00, a gym bag AND a college education. In other words, that was a control run. Now we may conduct an experiment that reflects actual condition. In the next trial, we'll need to induce addiction and send Mr. Shepard onto the street in need of a fix AND material well-being. In the third trial, we'll damage part of his brain in order to create a mental disability. I'll withhold judgement until the experiment is complete.
Jeff wrote:

In other words, you'll make him a collectivist leftie?
But--addiction is a self-inflicted disability. While it would be nice to say that we want addicts as well as sociopaths, psycopaths and the mentally ill to have a "place at the table", it is also unrealistic. All the college education, counseling and social programs in the world are NOT going to help those unwilling or uncapable of utilizing them. What Adam Shepard did was show that a reasonably intelligent and motivated individual CAN pick himself up from nothing. Nothing world shaking there--I've done it myself, and so have several previous posters on this thread.
Wasn't it John Edwards who said he wanted everyone in America to have above average incomes?
> > It's news because in our John Edward's two-Americas paradigm, it is held

people
other

That sounds much more like Dan Quayle.
Charlie Self wrote:

Or Garrison Keeler

LOL.. work that one out on a pad of graph paper. He actually said that?
Too funny.

Hmmm. I'm not sure what institutional poverty is, but I do remember what poverty was. I wonder where I fit in to your control groups. I certainly wasn't a college graduate with a gym bag and twenty-five dollars although I could make as much as sixty to sixty-five dollars a week picking tobacco during the summer (actually I only made that much during the fifth and sixth picks which lasted about two weeks. The rest of the time I made twenty to thirty-five dollars a week). Pretty good pay for a high school kid. The rest of the year I made about twenty bucks a week after school. My pay always went to my mother to help support my brother and sister (my brother worked also, but my sister was too young). My father was a very unsuccessful burgler and we hadn't seen him since I was about six or seven. I wasn't addicted to anything except girls. So I guess I am/was brain damaged. I was asked to leave high school at sixteen. I was somewhat of an asshole at that time (probably still am), but a hardworking asshole. I got my first full time job, at one dollar and ten cents an hour, running drying machines at a diaper service. This was minimum wage plus ten percent. I decided during that period that I was not going to be poor and I'm not.

TCM occasionally shows an old film which has a similar theme. That of a privledged man pretending to be down on his luck for the purpose of getting a handle on the attitudes of the less fortunate. The film was set during the depression and featured Joel McRae and Veronica Lake (I guess that date me). Its worth catching the next time TCM broadcasts it. Joe G
"GROVER" wrote

That is the ONLY channel I watch on TV with any regularity ... we really knew how to make movies (and music), before the rise of idiocy.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07