OT: As if THS is news.....

Jeff wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@h11g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Hmmm. I'm not sure what institutional poverty is, but I do remember what poverty was. I wonder where I fit in to your control groups. I certainly wasn't a college graduate with a gym bag and twenty-five dollars although I could make as much as sixty to sixty-five dollars a week picking tobacco during the summer (actually I only made that much during the fifth and sixth picks which lasted about two weeks. The rest of the time I made twenty to thirty-five dollars a week). Pretty good pay for a high school kid. The rest of the year I made about twenty bucks a week after school. My pay always went to my mother to help support my brother and sister (my brother worked also, but my sister was too young). My father was a very unsuccessful burgler and we hadn't seen him since I was about six or seven. I wasn't addicted to anything except girls. So I guess I am/was brain damaged. I was asked to leave high school at sixteen. I was somewhat of an asshole at that time (probably still am), but a hardworking asshole. I got my first full time job, at one dollar and ten cents an hour, running drying machines at a diaper service. This was minimum wage plus ten percent. I decided during that period that I was not going to be poor and I'm not.

Reply to
Hank

"Swingman" wrote in news:2dednfM7z- fhKCjanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Amen. Did you catch the Burt Lancaster series of movies that were on TCM recently?

Reply to
Hank

I think almost all of these situations are self imposed. Kids are getting pregnant and the father (when known) has no means of supporting the child. The easy solution is to prevent pregnancy. Sutdent loans? No one is forced totake them out so when you graduate and get that 80k job, make the payments. You could have gone into the trades and made a good living without the loans. Credit card debt is 100% self imposed. I can't speak for the first and last month rent thing as I've never paid rent. I bought my first house when I was 20 years old. Oh, I did have dependents at that time also, but they were not children. I supported my mother and grandmother.

Evidently you valued your education enough to spend the money for it. I'd hope to recoup my college costs by getting a job that pays well in the future. If someone decides to spend a lot of money for education to become a social activist in a low paying job, that is there choice also. I went to a low cost state school and only took courses as I could afford to do so. Rather than live in a college dorm, I lived in my own house that was bought with my own money. We have choices.

If you are still paying credit card debt after 10 years you should be looking into better ways of managing debt. At least you have the backbone to pay your debts rather that join the bankruptcy craze to bail out of obligations.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yes, I caught Burt Lancaster, he's one of the tops. Speaking of humble beginings, I had to walk to school 5 miles each day, up hill both ways. Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

My hats off to you for all of this but I suspect that you had a different upbringing from most people, or perhaps an unusual degree of aptitude in some area in which most people are lacking.

Many people hope that. Some achieve it.

You really think that someone goes to law school intending to become a public defender (to take one example)? You take the best offer you get, if you don't get a good offer then you either take a bad one or starve.

Some people have choices, some don't. You apparently got a pretty good job early on. How many jobs that good are open to people today who have only high-school educations?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Well, you didn't have to fight off lions and cross rivers like I did.

Reply to
Robatoy

Fri, Feb 15, 2008, 6:59am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Charlie=A0Self) doth sayeth: One of his biggest lacks, a cell phone? Jesus, I still don't have a cell phone. I may buy a TracFone someday soon, but to me, a cell phone is just another electronic leash.

Depends. Couple of years ago my '78 GMC died while I was driving. Fortunately a store was only about 300 yards away (very cool day), so was able to walk there and call for help. When asked if I could make a call, was handed a cell phone. What, no land line? Then walked back to the truck in the cold. Never again. Went to the Dollar Store, bought a Tracphone, for about $19. Carry it with me, turned off, don't give out the number either. Got a batch of useful numbers in it, including the local service stations's day and night numbers, etc. I turn it on when I wand to add or change a number, lmaybe play a game for a few minutes, or just check the time. Nice to know if my vehicle dies now I can rach into my pocket and touch someone. Get a phone, just don't use it.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Reply to
J T

I was going to e-mail you and ask you how you got by without a phone...now I know.

Reply to
Robatoy

You forgot about the waist high snow. But then I was attacked by a frenzied saber tooth potfer one time. j4

Reply to
jo4hn

You had school? We had to find a smart person and follow them around.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Not a good line, Ed. Too many easy comebacks.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Yeah. Just go a Tracfone myself. Took me an extra hour to get it up and working, because it doesn't work in the hollow in which I live. That's OK. We have two landlines. I want this for travel (I probably have to go to Vegas in May, for one thing, and I can call my wife from there with the cellphone and save money over the purchase price and minutes; I'll also be down near Danville at VIR photographing some vintage car races, and it's nice to check home without checking into a motel--probably going to sleep in the back of my pick-up. Meals out are rough enough, but paying someone $85 a night for a place to sleep and shower hurts the Scot in me).

Reply to
Charlie Self

Oh, yeah. $12.88 for the phone (plus tax). Still haven't made the first call on it.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Yep, that's exactly the reason I have a cell phone and pretty much where my phone has lived most of its life also. That is changing some since we just changed plans (youngster wanted to be able to participate in this texting craze -- we put him off for better than a year but decided giving him a ready ability to get in touch with us was a good idea). New phone can download MP3's, so am now using it for that purpose since my truck doesn't have a CD and Tucson AM radio is worthless when the sun's not shining.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

You join the army, save some money, put in your time, get your education benefits and then go to school.... Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

Sat, Feb 16, 2008, 1:49pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Charlie=A0Self) doth sayeth: Yeah. Just go a Tracfone myself. Took me an extra hour to get it up and working, because it doesn't work in the hollow in which I live.

Mine works fine from home. However. I can call my son, 14-15 miles down the road, no prob. If I call my land line number to be sure the cell phone is working, I have to use the area code too - calling from the couch in my living room. Apparently happened during setup and they tell me it can't be corrected. No prob, I never answer when I call anyway.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Reply to
J T

Sat, Feb 16, 2008, 1:50pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Charlie=A0Self) doth sayeth: Oh, yeah. $12.88 for the phone (plus tax). Still haven't made the first call on it.

Well, you "could" call me, just to check to make sure it works. But my phone is turned off. LMAO Call your grand-dau.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Reply to
J T

Sat, Feb 16, 2008, 3:57pm (EST-2) snipped-for-privacy@hadenough.com (Mark=A0&=A0Juanita) doth sayeth: J (youngster wanted to be able to participate in this texting craze

I am fairly sure I can't text on my phone. And would not bother even if so.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Reply to
J T

Mine text messages, I guess. There are several pages of instructions which I won't bother to read. The whole thing strikes me as a backward step, to the Western Union heyday. Besides, it's boring.

Time to shave and go into town for breakfast. My wife gets a one day break.

JOAT...if you get a call at 6:30 a.m., it ain't me.

Reply to
Charlie Self

And if you're 4-F?

Reply to