OT: As if THS is news.....

Page 2 of 6
On Feb 16, 1:34 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Yeah. Just go a Tracfone myself. Took me an extra hour to get it up and working, because it doesn't work in the hollow in which I live. That's OK. We have two landlines. I want this for travel (I probably have to go to Vegas in May, for one thing, and I can call my wife from there with the cellphone and save money over the purchase price and minutes; I'll also be down near Danville at VIR photographing some vintage car races, and it's nice to check home without checking into a motel--probably going to sleep in the back of my pick-up. Meals out are rough enough, but paying someone $85 a night for a place to sleep and shower hurts the Scot in me).
Sat, Feb 16, 2008, 1:49pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (CharlieSelf) doth sayeth: Yeah. Just go a Tracfone myself. Took me an extra hour to get it up and working, because it doesn't work in the hollow in which I live. <snip>
Mine works fine from home. However. I can call my son, 14-15 miles down the road, no prob. If I call my land line number to be sure the cell phone is working, I have to use the area code too - calling from the couch in my living room. Apparently happened during setup and they tell me it can't be corrected. No prob, I never answer when I call anyway.
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
On Feb 16, 1:34 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Oh, yeah. $12.88 for the phone (plus tax). Still haven't made the first call on it.
Sat, Feb 16, 2008, 1:50pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (CharlieSelf) doth sayeth: Oh, yeah. $12.88 for the phone (plus tax). Still haven't made the first call on it.
Well, you "could" call me, just to check to make sure it works. But my phone is turned off. LMAO Call your grand-dau.
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
J T wrote:

Yep, that's exactly the reason I have a cell phone and pretty much where my phone has lived most of its life also. That is changing some since we just changed plans (youngster wanted to be able to participate in this texting craze -- we put him off for better than a year but decided giving him a ready ability to get in touch with us was a good idea). New phone can download MP3's, so am now using it for that purpose since my truck doesn't have a CD and Tucson AM radio is worthless when the sun's not shining.

Sat, Feb 16, 2008, 3:57pm (EST-2) snipped-for-privacy@hadenough.com (Mark&Juanita) doth sayeth: J<snip> (youngster wanted to be able to participate in this texting craze <snip>
I am fairly sure I can't text on my phone. And would not bother even if so.
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
On Feb 17, 12:22 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Mine text messages, I guess. There are several pages of instructions which I won't bother to read. The whole thing strikes me as a backward step, to the Western Union heyday. Besides, it's boring.
Time to shave and go into town for breakfast. My wife gets a one day break.
JOAT...if you get a call at 6:30 a.m., it ain't me.
Charlie Self wrote:

If you spend a lot of time traveling or in meetings, text messaging (aka Short Message Service) is a godsend. It is an unobtrusive way to get/send information without disturbing others in a meeting or having to yell to be heard in some loud airport terminal. SMS also has the benefit of causing people to get to the point more quickly since it's difficult to ramble on with only 128 chars/msg at your disposal.
From your past posts, I suspect you and I are about the same age so this is not a generational thing on my part.
YMMV ...

I just don't do meetings, nor do I need to send or receive messages while I travel. I read instead.
Charlie Self wrote:

I used to have that luxury. Now I work in a 24x7 global world, my "office" is seat 21A with no snacks, mediocre service, and late flights. I use SMS so as not to disturb those around me to the degree possible. As an aside: One of my new pet peeves are the Very Important Ones who just MUST speak loudly on their cellphones up to the moment the flight rolls and back on again as soon as it lands. SMS allows folks like me to both be effective in our jobs w/o being obnoxious to our neighbors.
Obviously, this varies considerably depending on your work style, but is *is* kind of cool to be able to shoot a beautiful sunset at 37,000 ft on your camera phone, and share it (quietly) with those you love a thousand miles away. If you don't travel 250 days a year, this may not make sense, but that brief moment of quiet connection with friends and family means a lot when you show up at o-dark-thirty in some rotten airport with an hour drive ahead of you, no friends, no family, and no sleep. Again, YMMV ...

I think one of the reasons I didn't have a cell phone for so long is tied to those asswipes who walk around airport waiting rooms with the phone upside the head, shouting at someone on the other end. Years ago, that was to impress people in the airport with their ability to afford an expensive luxury--remember the days of $1,000 and up phones and $2.00 a minute calls? Now, they're impressing people with their ability to give orders. I figure half of what is said on cell phones is said before or after the connection is made by a bunch of phonies.
Charlie Self wrote:
<SNIP>

I'm with you there. I have heard some of the most bizarre, intimate, personal, and obnoxious conversations courtesy of someone blathering on a cell phone in my vicinity. It seems that some/many people think that talking on a cell phone makes them invisible and inaudible. I recently was on a flight when a woman behind me whipped out her phone the moment we landed and called her sister. There was some delay getting the door open, and all of us within a 6 foot radius of this person were treated to 15 minutes of how "Mom misses Dad. Mom doesn't want to sell the house. Sis isn't helping much. I'm holding the family together ... blah, blah, blah." When she *finally* hung up - in the terminal - I had to restrain myself from walking up and asking, "So how's Mom today and do you think she'll get what she's asking for the house?"
This kind of behavior is rude and all too common. Again - with apologies to Twain - The more people I know, the more I like cats...
Tim Daneliuk wrote:

That is being polite to those around you. Good for you.

Amazing what you hear over 1/2 a cell conversation, isn't it?

Our admin assistant had a cartoon up for a while. The picture showed crowds of people all yakking in public on their cell phones. The caption said something to the effect, "Americans have voiced their concerns over the terrorist surveillance act because of their deep concern for privacy"

I have been led to believe, though, that the Taiwanese and Japanese think our cell phone use is retarded. From what I was told, most of them have at least two cell phones.
Tim Daneliuk wrote:

Be careful!!!!!.....the kids moved out but now we have THREE cats....and now a aquarium to entertain the little fur balls......The six ft pine & birch cat post/ tower was kind of fun to build though. Rod
Mon, Feb 18, 2008, 4:00am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (CharlieSelf) doth sayeth: <snip> Now, they're impressing people with their ability to give orders. <snip>
You spelled :impressing" wrong. It should be spelled "annoying". I haven't heard a one of those "conversations" that impressed me, but all of them annoyed me.
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.

I am SO glad I don't do that anymore. Airline travel has been deteriorating for decades. 9/11 really accelerated it.

You speak absolute truth.
-- Doug

Charlie, the telephone is a tool. Not knowing how to use a tool doen't make much sense. If you were an 0311, wouldn't knowing how to do 0331 stuff make sense?

Yeah, but I was a 6632 (I think: that was 50 years ago). Of course, the Marine Corps thinks everyone is a grunt.

That "tool" sure comes in handy when I go out to inspect a building and I have a bad address. <G> Or can't find a "new" street.
Max