OT: As if THS is news.....

Page 1 of 6
I paid for my education. I paid for my move away from my parents'. I grew up in a privileged environment. I didn't like it.
Whatever it is I am today, was put together without a dime being kicked my way.
So, why is this news?
http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0211/p13s02-wmgn.htm

It's really a promo for his book. That's where he'll make the Real Money. Scam anyone?

Oh, for sure... but how did it become 'news'?

His publisher wrote the story (paid somebody) and sent it to the newspaper. The newspaper filled some space with a FeelGood story. Happens all the time.

Oh, for sure... but how did it become 'news'?
It's a "feature" story.

I don't see why you should label it a scam. He actually did what he did, and now he's leveraging his experience to create a saleable product. What's wrong with that?
- Owen -

Did he do it to prove it could be done or to make big bucks from the sale od a book? I bet the latter, but I'm a cynic.
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 15:28:39 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

What a load. First of all, if he's trying to make a point that it's possible to work one's way out of poverty, I think he missed it on two major factors: one, he wasn't fighting a psychological disadvantage (i.e., he wasn't drugged up, he wasn't a half bubble off plumb, etc.). Second, he ALWAYS knew where his next meal was coming from so long as he had that credit card in his back pocket.
There's no trick to any of the stuff he did when you KNOW you don't HAVE to and that you can climb out any time you want to.
I am so unimpressed.
Or did I miss something?
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

No, I don't think you did. He had a safety valve.
I didn't. I had my pride. <G>
I'm like you are, everything i've accomplished was by my own hand. the only differance I see is that you said you grew up in a privileged enviorment. I'm just growing old and can't seem to grow up. Ross If it's to be, it's up to me
"Robatoy" wrote

Strictly my opinion, but what's amazing to me about the article is the thinking, or lack thereof, of those taking exception to it ... makes me worry even more about the future of my kids in this culture.
Uncluttered thinking, sans politically tainted agendizing/correctness, must reach the conclusion that the credit card in the back pocket "safety valve" is arguably symbolic for "welfare" ... use of either guarantees continuing poverty.
(... I would have used the "net" in place of "valve")
... just my tuppence.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07
Swingman wrote:

I've been kind of surprised by that also. The person doing this experiment was a reasonably intelligent person; he wasn't going to do something that would put him in the position of being in a situation that would ruin the rest of his life for the sake of an experiment. What those criticizing him for this detail seemed to have missed is that he indicated that his rule was that if he used the card, the experiment was over. Frankly, I would think that having that credit card would have made his experiment more difficult because he knew he had it, knew it was there and that he could use it anytime (sort of like the system you reference above). Seems that would have been a very great temptation any time that the going got a bit tough.

Mark & Juanita wrote: ...

The whole thing is a put-up job, not an "experiment" at all imo. It is flawed from conception owing to there being no negative outcome possible in a real sense of an actual outcome of other than the participant choosing to withdraw from the experiment.
One cannot also remove from the subject the innate lessons learned by his previous X number of years of relative affluence, education, etc., etc., as others have previously at least alluded to.
All in all, it is of no real value for any rational discussion of the cures for poverty and/or welfare/assistance.
There are those who are born in the worst of conditions who do, despite the odds, manage to persevere; siblings may (and most often do) succumb. It is, like most other human activities, controlled by personal deeds and actions and those are highly individualistic.
One can tend to produce better outcomes w/ better inputs, but such artificial examples don't have anything to teach us imo.
$0.02, etc., ...

This would be like saying that climbing a 1000' vertical rock face using ropes/saftey lines would be "more difficult" as oppossed to free climbing it (no saftey gear whatsoever). This is actually a perfect scenario analagous to the OP.
If you were to climb the face with saftey lines/ropes you would move quicker, take steps with confidence, perhaps take a few riskier hand/ foot holds than you would, your heart would pound less, you may take time out to relax and look around, your lungs would operate more efficiently, experience less fatigue, the list is endless. You would get to the top faster, and taken less toll on your body, period.
Now climb the face with no saftey equipment, you will second, third, fourth, tenth guess every move becase its life or death, this stress will likely cause you to make less than optimal decisions, you would move exponentially slower, your heart would pound rapidly putting untold amounts of additional stress on your body, your entire physiology would opperate less efficiently. You would get there far slower if at all and perhaps die trying.
Now, go even farther, say the first climber is the guy in the article, he is an experienced climber (experienced, educated, confident, at what he was doing). Try it with a novice climber, then with someone who has never even hiked. Then with someone who has a fear of heights. Then with someone who is 60lbs overweight. Plot the results of climbing the rock, and out of poverty, on a graph and I would venture a guess that the two would take very similar tracks.
Furtermore the thought that the card would make it harder flies in the face of every medical study published regarding stress, health, and decision making. There are countless reems of data chronicling how constant stress (worry) is debilitating, detrimental to sound decision making, and can in fact cause and fertilize disease. Possesion of this card voids that stress in the short and long term (perhaps when he max's it out things will change hehe). His education voids that stress. His knowing that no matter what the outcome of this experiment he has a home, family, earning potential, voids that stress. Its like jumping between two tractor trailers going 60mph side by side on a reality show. The fear is mitigated by the rigging and saftey gear you are wearing, whether you succeed or fail, you are not falling to the roadway to be ground up into bits. The show will not allow that to happen, so just go ahead and jump, who cares. The only bad outcome is that you dont win.
I see both sides with regards to the book/article. I find it very short sighted yet I do agree that there are a lot of lazy people out there who are more than willing to take something for nothing so they dont have to get off their asses. I do however agree with many of the other posters that coming up from abject poverty is far more difficult than this article/book tries to make it sound. This is another one of those "mile in his shoes" things. People who havent been through it, and even some who have, dont often take all aspects into consideration.
Mark

That analogy works for me. Where's the danger when there's a net?

And even beyond the danger, how does the lack of it effect ones projected confidence. As others have posted forget about the fact that he is well educated, knows the system well, is probably extremely fluent and a good speaker/conversationalist. Give this guy an 8th grade education, a couple of parents who never made him brush his teeth so he only has 5 or 6 left in his head, never learned ettiquate and the need for deodorant, and the outcome of this experience would likely not be debated here. What about things he/she has no control over, cursed with a unibrow from hell, cross eyed, stutters, big goofy ears, buck teeth, or is just plain wierd lookin.
This is what I meant by the "mile in his shoes" thing and people speaking about that which they do not know. How is a single mother and a victim of abuse is going to "present herself" at a job interview. Low self esteem, a lack of confidence, minimal eye contact, she is way down on the rock climbing scale. Hence the hireability scale and subsequently the pay scale. Its not to say she cant or shouldnt work however depending on the locale it may be very difficult for her to exist on what she can command.
A lot of this topic is greatly impacted by ones location but, I personally live and operate a business in an area where many people through poverty, simple lifestyle, or simply not having needed to worry about it in their daily life, have to be reminded to wear deoderant and brush their teeth when they show up for work. It is not uncommon around here to stand in line at a convenience store with your eyes watering from the guy's BO infront of you. One side of me says its ultimately their own responsibility for how they dress, look, smell, etc. But then there is the other side of me that clearly remembers my mother telling of growing up in rural ME in the 40's-50's with no running water, no indoor plumbing, one telephone in town, many had no teeth by the time they were 18, lucky if you could afford a car, grew/raised your own food, eat your pet chicken when times get tough, and so on. This was in the 50's, now in 2008 I can leave my house and drive 20 minutes and visit with people living fairly close to that point. I am not surprised by it, but they are not living that life by choice. They dont have the money, confidence, education, or other resources to simply move to an area where there are jobs. They have lived lives where deodorant, bad breath, and diction, were the least of your worries.
The article does a good job addressing what perhaps an educated but lazy, slacker, from the tv/video generation, born to an affluent family who just raised a bum and finally kicked him out of the house, could do if he/she chose to get off their ass and work. It however doesnt say much for those who have been born and raised poor or low income, fallen on hard times, may not have gotten through high school, city or country folk who dont possess "book loynin" and modern day ettiquate, some miles from the nearest employer, dont have a reliable car if one at all, etc..
Mark

The thing is, his generation has always had a safety valve, a credit card in the back pocket. One of his biggest lacks, a cell phone? Jesus, I still don't have a cell phone. I may buy a TracFone someday soon, but to me, a cell phone is just another electronic leash. "Oh, my boss must value me, 'cause he gave me a beeper!" Yeah. So anytime he feels like tugging on the leash... I think I was something like 27 before I had a telephone in my own name. It came under the "who needs it" doctrine. We didn't always feel the need to be "in touch" with others.
We went to a dinner show last night ("Evita", A. L. Webber really missed the mark on this one: it's awful--but, then, so was the real Eva Peron). As we left, my granddaughter flipped open her cell phone (off at the request of the civic center) and checked for messages the instant we were out of the theater. 10 p.m.? Who the hell are you going to call back then?

Makes me chuckle. After booking, we had to allow that phone call, and after punching up the number, I used to hand the receiver to the drunk and say "three thirty" or whatever time.
Lots of them would ask me what that meant. I told them "it's the answer to the first question you'll hear." Some who had sobered enough opted to call in the morning.
Fri, Feb 15, 2008, 6:59am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (CharlieSelf) doth sayeth: <snip> One of his biggest lacks, a cell phone? Jesus, I still don't have a cell phone. I may buy a TracFone someday soon, but to me, a cell phone is just another electronic leash. <snip>
Depends. Couple of years ago my '78 GMC died while I was driving. Fortunately a store was only about 300 yards away (very cool day), so was able to walk there and call for help. When asked if I could make a call, was handed a cell phone. What, no land line? Then walked back to the truck in the cold. Never again. Went to the Dollar Store, bought a Tracphone, for about $19. Carry it with me, turned off, don't give out the number either. Got a batch of useful numbers in it, including the local service stations's day and night numbers, etc. I turn it on when I wand to add or change a number, lmaybe play a game for a few minutes, or just check the time. Nice to know if my vehicle dies now I can rach into my pocket and touch someone. Get a phone, just don't use it.
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
On Feb 16, 1:34pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

I was going to e-mail you and ask you how you got by without a phone...now I know.