OT as Hell - Sam's Club

Page 2 of 4

wrote in message news:hwmJc.2345

Sounds like Scotty Mayfield. Might be true, can't say, I do know the lower the milkfat content, the longer it'll keep in the fridge. Consider, 100% Whole Milk lasts as has been said 10-14 days, skim milk will have a date on it at Kroger as much as three weeks out. Pretty cool. Later, Beej
--
"Molon Labe!" (Come and take them!)
Leonidas of Sparta 480 BC.

I stopped buying milk last year, and before that drank milk all my life. The price got rather high, and I decided to drink water instead. I was amazed how many high-calorie foods (pie, cookies, chocolate, graham crackers, etc) I ate with milk. I lost 40 pounds! Now I buy powdered milk and use it in my coffee. If a recipe calls for milk, I just mix up some from the powdered. No more sour or spoiled milk !

Its not the calories...its the carbs that you were eating!
I never drink milk. I drink 1/2 & 1/2 ...or heavy/whipping cream.
And, yes...I've lost considerable weight, too.
Have a nice week...
Trent
What do you call a smart blonde? A golden retriever.
How about 50/50? They used to sell a half fresh, half powdered mix as milk in Alaska. Didn't taste that bad, and was all we could afford.
Milk is a more efficient way to eat grass than beef.

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 23:05:49 -0400, Leon wrote:

I have a hard time buying that my $4+/gal milk is higher quality than your cheaper milk. At Stop & Shop I used to get Farmland brand, in 1/2 gallon paper cartons (there is not an appreciable mark up for buying the 1/2 gal instead of the gallon -- only a few cents/gal). Farmland would last in my fridge for only a few days (3-4) before it started to smell, and it certainly wasn't drinkable after a week. Recently, I've been buying the Stop & Shop brand, and it lasts a solid week before any noticable smell.
The sell by date stamped on the cartons here is never very far into the future - at most a week. That said, it doesn't always correlate with when the milk goes bad.
I know that NY City has different date rules, because all of my cartons (on Long Island, not in the city) come stamped with two dates - one for in NY City and one for outside of NY City.
Chad

Are you sure your fridge is set at a cold enough temp? Something's wrong somewhere in the scheme of things if your milk is spoiling in a week.
I just bought 2 gallons of 1% yesterday (7/14) with a sell by date of 7/19. Typically our milk lasts a good 7 days after the sellby before starting to turn - that gives us about 2 weeks from purchase to use it up.

It seems that if we keep our milk past the date stamped on the bottle we end up with a Cottage Cheese.
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:59:03 -0400, Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

enough. I'm convinced that its the milk.
Chad

month and if we don't get the OJ finished by 10 days or so it starts to turn, go bad, or ferment. Develops a definite sharp metalic taste thats not pleasant. Often we just buy our juice somewhere else but we keep trying since it's convienent.
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:51:08 -0400, "J. Clarke"

And it never tastes quite the same.
At least that's been my experience.
Have a nice week...
Trent
What do you call a smart blonde? A golden retriever.
Trent wrote:

Dunno. I never really noticed a difference.

--
--John

I wonder how much of that is taxes and fees. Or Guido and Nunzio? Be willing to bet there's a large amount of that in New York. Would it be any cheaper across the river? Later, Beej
--
"That government governs best that governs least."
Thomas Jefferson

My ex and I split a membership, she kept my last name so it is only 1/2 price a year :) We alternate paying for the re-up.
My favorite purchase is tyson chicken patties that I can't find anywhere else. Saving a few cents on gas is a plus though driving a 38mpg saturn, it isn't that big a savings.
You have to pick your purchases. I've never bought computer media there since Staples, walmart, officemax have better spot deals.
A gallon of olives will last a long time and even if you have to toss some, will be much cheaper than buying 12oz at a time. Same for hot peppers, pickles, bulk spices, and other food stuffs that will keep for a bit. Meat prices vs Meijers varies as to savings.
It is also a nice place to get a few free snacks from the eldsters that are giving out samples :)
Wes