OT? Appropriate hall table apron size?

Hello,
I'm planning on building a hall / sofa table that will be approximately 12" D x 72" L and stand 36" H. From what I think I've learned so far, those dimensions probably break the rules of the Golden Ratio. That said, I was looking for suggestions as to an acceptable apron dimension, so as to not have the table look totally out of scale. Due to its size, I was thinking along the lines of a 5 1/2" apron.
I had planned on using 2" x 2" stock to make tapered legs ( 2" to 1" ), but may have to just settle for square ones. Keep in mind that this is a learning experience as well.
Granted the table will reside behind a sofa and won't be seen for the most part, but there's no sense in building it the wrong way. Better of to at least start out in the ball park and learn from that experience. So, any tips or pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance to those who post a reply.
Peter.
I think 5 1/2 inches sounds about right. One thing that I like to do is make a cardboard mockup of the table. Just cut up some cardboard to the right size and tape it together. Doing so will make it a lot easier to see if everything looks in proportion. You could also take a sheet of plywood or mdf and draw the front view to scale.
Jim www.woodblog.com
Peter Bogiatzidis wrote:

I know you weren't necessarily asking about the legs, but tapering down to 1" seems to me like that'd be a little to small for a 3' x 6' table.
-John in NH

Don't "settle" for anything you don't want. Tapered legs are really not hard to do and add a lot of visual appeal. I'd go with a 1/2" taper on the inside at least.