OT ANZAC Day

Today, April 25 is ANZAC day when Australian and New Zealanders remember their fallen.
For me it is to remember those in my family who served: I had an uncle who was in the Long Range Desert Group in North Africa causig problems for Rommel. Another who would only describe the huge scar on his arm as a mosquito bite. - As far as I can gather he was shot parachuting into Holland in the Market Garden operation. Another uncle had to live with carying out an order to ride through Italy in his tank shooting 'anyone big enough to pick up a rifle'. If that was done and seen to be done by the Axis powers it would have been a war crime. For my FIL it was living with seeing the bodies of his mates after the starving Japanese had eaten bits of them. For my Grandfather it was living with the vision of seeing the ambulance in front of the one he was driving just explode into nothing but hot air and dust. For my other grandfather it was going back down the coal mine (or 'down pit' as he'd say) after his youngest daughter was buried alive for 24 hours when a bomb hit the house she was in, not knowing when he came back up if his family was going t be there or not.
They shall not grow old As we that are left grow old Age shall not weary them Nor the years condem In the morning and at the going down of the sun We shall remember them.
Lest we forget.
Mekon
--
Mekon

I grew up 10 miles or less from the operation Market Garden area that was depicted in "A Bridge too Far", and in an episode of Band of Brothers.
--
Best regards
Han

Spent some time with Australian and New Zealanders a long time ago. I'd rest easy with either watching my back.

I agree whole haeartedly. For those that may not know the history of ANZAC Day Wipipedia gives a hint.
As someone who is a third generation Canadian Army veteran - my father served in the Canadian Army in WWII, and my son is currently serving in the same Regiment in the reserves all I can say is Lest We Forget.
Doug Brown wrote:

Tribute to the current Australian troops: <http://www.blackfive.net/main/2006/10/beccy_cole_post.html Scroll down tothe YouTube link