OT Antivirus software

Page 4 of 6

Use the Filter, Luke!

Subject lines. Use them. Love them.
Dave Hinz wrote:

I (think) Robotoy is referring to Mac OS 9, not Microware (Radisys) OS9.
Google found a thread from a year or so ago where a respondent posted the following brief history...
"Assuming you [mean] OS-9 the Real-Time OS and Not OS9 the Mac OS, OS9 first started about 1978 on the 6809 processor. It was ported to the 68K family about 1982. In 1987 the OS was ported to other Processors, I believe the x86 was the first. This was know as OS9000 at the time. Since then OS9 has been ported to the PPC,MIPS,Hitachi H series, Sparc, ARM, and other processors. For a detailed timeline you might want to contact Radisys(Microware) directly."
Brings back many old memories...some good, some not so much. :)

You beat me to it, Dave. IIRC, it was written OS/9, but I'm not sure. I do remember being impressed with it at the time. I think it required a 6809 and wouldn't run on a 6800, but again it's been a long time so I could be mistaken. Didn't it have some sort of dynamic function loading that was new, at least for micros?
--
BNSF = Build Now, Seep Forever

Yes from my memory as well, hence the /9 I think?

Yes, the device and library structures, along with of course the syntax, was very unix-ish. Pretty good for early 80's on an 8-bit micro.
On Wed, 25 May 2005 17:45:33 +0200, Juergen Hannappel

Ahhhhh, another person who knows OS-9. Mine was on a 6809E. Yours?
Dave "Feeling old..." Hinz
Dave Hinz wrote:

Mostly 68K's VME-bus.

Ah. Never got to run it on anything that new. Fun times, as you said...mostly.
Dave Hinz wrote:

Yes, indeedy, indeed! Most fun (truly) was the 3-CPU mobile "man-replacement" robotic system for application as observer and minor work in a power plant...great fun, that! (Wonder what the S. Koreans ever did w/ it. When it shipped they were supposed to get us over for training, but it never happened. Probably one of those good ideas that never came to anything.)

Ahhh - I was on the *other* side - Intel x86 and Multibus. Ran iRMX as the RTOS. rq$sendmessage()...
Patrick Conroy wrote:

Ah, the dark side... :)
I remember the first time I had to deal w/ non-memory-mapped i/o and segmented addresses...I'm still not over it some 20+ years later. :)
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Small world. I may have done some hardware design work on those VMEbus boards (mostly fixing the original designer's blunders). I still make my living in the VME market.
Tom

We can't be talking about the same OS 9. I was an infant in 1982. (33)

Is it 2015 already? Guess I slept longer than I thought.
--
Regards,

In other words, for the entire history of OSX.

I've got one Linux box that has an uptime of (checks) 1004 days.

There ya go.
Dave Hinz wrote:

Longest I have up is 419 days, FreeBSD, and only because of a major power outtage (UPS couldn't last 13 hrs). Prior to that, it had a 642 day uptime.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

Nice. Does FreeBSD have the bug where after 497 days, the uptime display starts over at 0 days? First time that linux box did it, I spent some non-trivial time trying to figure out what the hell went wrong. Turned out I just was seeing the uptime reporting bug.
Been around that twice on the system described above. It was a sunday morning in 2002 when it was last bounced...and that was a planned reboot. It. Just. Works.
Dave Hinz wrote:

Not at all, my uptime was showing 642 days when we lost the power. 497 seems like such a weird number to bug out on (only 9 bits in use, but first 5 bits are 1s and the rest 0s with the last bit hitting a 1 = 497).

My home desktop is FreeBSD, my desktop at work is FreeBSD, my laptop is windows, I also have a Solaris and 7 AIX boxes at home and a couple of windows machines for the wife and daughter. At work, I manage AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, Linux and Windows servers (over 200 in this office alone). Thank goodness I don't do desktop support (over 1500 desktops and laptops at our company).
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

Number of seconds crossing some bit boundary maybe? Dunno, netcraft has a "how long has this site been up" with a link that talks about the bug, maybe it'll explain it there.

Sounds like we're in similar worlds. My home systems include Sparcs from Sparc10 through Ultra60s, an SGI Indy, an SGI O2, a Dec Alpha (running FreeBSD this month), couple of linux boxes, the 2 macs, and a laptop that can boot into Windows if it has to. Work is mostly Solaris and Linux, and the box I'm on right now is Ubuntu Linux which is a nice debian-ish distro with better packages.
Beats working, y'know?

Uptime is calculated from "jiffies", time slices of the kernel. Usually you have 100 jiffies in a second (the HZ constant in the kernel include files). 24*60*60*100*497B94080000, which is bigger than 2^32B94967295, so the rollover occurs after 496 days, 2 hours, 27 minutes, 52 seconds and 95 extra jiffies...