OT: Another BLACK eye for McCain

Page 2 of 4
"Upscale" wrote:

It's not called "The Pepsi Generation" for nothing.
Don't sell good marketing programs short.
Both Coke and Pepsi probably have marketing and advertising programs that are the major cost component of their product.
Lew

IIRC the body doesn't convert fructose [sweetener] as readily as it can other sugar forms meaning that somehow or another [nutritionally] it is not particularly good for you. Apparently, it is significantly cheaper such that that the soft drink bottlers need it to profit in a highly competitive market. I've never gotten around to finding any but have been told for years that Coca Cola that is kosher for Passover is to die for. Account corn products are forbidden during Passover Coke that is kosher for Passover is made with real cane sugar. Or something like that.
Dave in Houston

Oy vay!

Dave - you can get these same Cokes at your local Mexican restaurant that actually caters to folks from south of the border. Remember the 16 oz glass bottles (didn't Hippo make a 24?) of Coke? They are alive and well at many establishments here and are BIG sellers.
Do you remember the bite you got from an ice cold Coke when you were a kid? Same formula, different sweetner than now. The Cokes in these restaurants are made in Mexico (only 2 1/2 hours away) with cane sugar, not a limp substitute. The difference is huge. They sell those 16 oz bottles in the restaurants for $2 a bottle, and the guys at the taco hole a few blocks from my house told me they sell so many cases of it that from time to time they sell out completely.
Take a drink of one of those... they will take you back.
Robert

I don't know if any of the Jones sodas are available where you're at, Robert, but up here in Canuckistan, we enjoy the Jones made with cane sugar. http://www.jonessoda.com /
Fabulous stuff.

You know, I think I have seen them at our local "leaning towards health food chain" called Whole Foods. I am not much of a soda drinker, but do enjoy a really cold one on a hot day.
Any suggestions on flavors?
Robert

Their Cola is pretty good, but for that sugar cane goodness, try the cream soda. Sweet as an angel's pee, but in a nice way. I like the green apple too.

Their Cola is pretty good, but for that sugar cane goodness, try the cream soda. Sweet as an angel's pee, but in a nice way. I like the green apple too.
Hmmm, maybe Whole Foods here in Houston or Central Market carries it.
Dave in Houston

http://www.jonessoda.com/gifs7/product-photos/12oz_Pure_Cane_Cola.jpg
http://www.jonessoda.com/gifs7/product-photos/single_cream_soda.jpg
http://www.jonessoda.com/gifs7/product-photos/single_green_apple_02.jpg

From there to Coke Zero. How did THAT happen?
Dave in Houston

Coke Zero sucks even with rum in it.

Coke Zero sucks even with rum in it.
It's palatable with Crown.

*GASP*

Dave.... say it ain't so.....
I thought Crown was only served on the rocks, or neat in a brandy snifter. Put "highland Mist" in a soda pop.
Ouch!
Robert
wrote:>> > > Dave in Houston>> > It's palatable with Crown.>> *GASP*> Dave.... say it ain't so.....> I thought Crown was only served on the rocks, or neat in a brandy

Actually, I DON'T drink the stuff. I do beer(s).
Dave

Back in the days when I did such things, the only thing that touched my lips was a good single malt scotch, either straight up or with maybe a club soda or branch water chaser.
Lew
wrote:>

No kidding, good whiskey/bourbon should only be drank straight. Put the sweet sody water in the cheap crap.

Which is why I suggested rum. One MUST drown rum.... but nevvverrr Crown. Shit, there are parts around Canada where one could get shot for mixing Crown...if there were guns...I guess...

The more refined a food product is the harder the body has to work to process it, if at all. The body needs all the natural ingredients of a food source to be processed efficiently.

While you're certainly right that the basic factor is lack of exercise, sugar hasn't been as plentiful, historically, as you think. Cane won't grow in cold climates, and it's only in the last two centuries that a significant portion of the world's sugar has come from beets.